What's your IQ?

Comments

• WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I got 138. Am hopeless at the mathematical questions but find the word/shape questions relatively simple. However, I do agree intelligence is much more complex than these tests could ever demonstrate.

For example, is it 'intelligent' to be doing these silly tests at almost 3am in the morning when I should be asleep? I very much doubt it !
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Gradually got harder I thought.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    It reckoned I was 117, which is obviously a lie.

15. Ralph likes 25 but not 24; he likes 400 but not 300; he likes 144 but not 145. Which does he like:
    10 50 124 200 1600

Seriously. What is this question all about. I just don't get it at all. It's just a list of random numbers. Somebody please explain why 1600 is the correct answer?

16. How many four-sided figures appear in the diagram below?
    10 16 22 25 28

??????

Eyes just glazed over on that one. Do they mean in the enclosed boxes or all permutations. Ambiguous question.

7. Which one of the five choices makes the best comparison?

Finger is to Hand as Leaf is to:

Twig (This is the correct answer according to the test, which IMO is incorrect.)
    Tree
    Branch (This is the correct answer IMO, as twigs don't normally have leaves attached.)
    Blossom
    Bark

Anyway. The above has done nothing to restore my faith in IQ tests. Bunch of arse, as FM would say.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For my tuppence worth that is nowhere near the standard of a true IQ test. Do not be fooled by the score that it's knocking out. It's massively inflated so that the smug will post the link on social media and generate clicks for them.

Think about it, who wants to show off an average IQ? The evidence of this thread is fairly conclusive.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »

15. Ralph likes 25 but not 24; he likes 400 but not 300; he likes 144 but not 145. Which does he like:
    10 50 124 200 1600

Seriously. What is this question all about. I just don't get it at all. It's just a list of random numbers. Somebody please explain why 1600 is the correct answer?

10 16 22 25 28

??????

Eyes just glazed over on that one. Do they mean in the enclosed boxes or all permutations. Ambiguous question.

Twig (This is the correct answer according to the test, which IMO is incorrect.)
    Tree
    Branch (This is the correct answer IMO, as twigs don't normally have leaves attached.)
    Blossom
    Bark

Anyway. The above has done nothing to restore my faith in IQ tests. Bunch of arse, as FM would say.

The first one is square numbers.
    The correct answer was 25 I think, but I only counted 21 so guessed 22. :D
    Twig is right. Imagine the leaf as a finger, the twig would be the hand. The branch would be the arm, and the tree would be the body.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For my tuppence worth that is nowhere near the standard of a true IQ test. Do not be fooled by the score that it's knocking out. It's massively inflated so that the smug will post the link on social media and generate clicks for them.

Think about it, who wants to show off an average IQ? The evidence of this thread is fairly conclusive.

I just like quizzes in general tbh, the score is meaningless, but did prove to me again that I'm okay at sequences and logic, but god awful at the picture ones. :D

I draw the line at quizzes like "What Twilight character are you?" though, so I do have some standards. :p
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    The first one is square numbers.

Twig is right. Imagine the leaf as a finger, the twig would be the hand. The branch would be the arm, and the tree would be the body.

First bit. I never thought of that.

Second bit. I think the jury is still out on that one personally. If I amputated my fingers, then I'd agree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twig
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I just like quizzes in general tbh, the score is meaningless, but did prove to me again that I'm okay at sequences and logic, but god awful at the picture ones. :D

I draw the line at quizzes like "What Twilight character are you?" though, so I do have some standards. :p

www.sporcle.com is the place for you. I've channelled all my OCD tendencies to that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    www.sporcle.com is the place for you. I've channelled all my OCD tendencies to that.

I love sporcle. I even make my kids do song clip quizzes with me. Quality family time. :D:D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wasn't going to but thought, what the hell...

Edit: The IQ test that I took online seemed to be mostly about mathematics, which isn't exactly one of my great strengths, even though I done well in it. I have other strengths that probably overtake a lot of other people's though.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I sat my 11-plus in 1964, my IQ was 132 (or 136, I can't remember).
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow there are a lot of people with a very high IQ on DS :D

To be honest most of us here probably have a real IQ of less than 110 ...

Over 140 - Genius or near genius
    120 - 140 - Very superior intelligence
    110 - 119 - Superior intelligence
    90 - 109 - Normal or average intelligence
    80 - 89 - Dullness
    70 - 79 - Borderline deficiency
    Under 70 - Definite feeble-mindedness
  • hils0912hils0912 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I have to brag then... I got 141, some guesses though as I couldn't work them out.
  • James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am currently studying IQ tests in my psychology degree at the moment, and I just can't bring myself to do the test because of what I am learning (not because I'm worried about getting a low score!). No one IQ test can determine intelligence (as other posters have said), for example, over in the Middle East, IQ is determined by doing chores correctly without prompting (something which I wouldn't excel at!). And there are so many different types of IQ test out there, a singular one cannot be correct for the whole population.

/end psychology discussion

That's not really psychology discussion, you just stated what most people already know in plain English. If that's the breadth and depth afforded to you by a psychology degree, I'd ask for your tuition fees back.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    116 but I guessed most of the number ones cos they just made me want to punch something so I might have got a few points by sheer luck.

Me too, though I got a couple of them.

Still scored 134.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The test the OP linked to gave me an IQ of 144 which is, of course, complete bollocks.
    You can't give an accurate idea of someone's intelligence with only 20 questions.
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    132 usually. my brother`s is very high but he has absolutely no common sense whatsoever.

Sounds a bit like me. My IQ is over 140 yet I have zero common sense. I wouldn't still be with my partner if I had...:(
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    142 and i guessed 2 of the number ones.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did the Mensa test in 1994 and got 143.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did the test guest the maths ones and got 111
    I had no warning it was not safe
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    124 - but I guessed all but 2 of the number ones, because I have never understood them, and still don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm still genuinely surprised so many people on here think they have an amazingly high IQ.

I guess everyone likes to believe they're better than average and this thread is pure proof of that.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    I'm still genuinely surprised so many people on here think they have an amazingly high IQ.

I guess everyone likes to believe they're better than average and this thread is pure proof of that.

I wonder the degree level of those with an IQ of over 130. They probably all have PhDs and/or are making a fortune!
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never had it tested and have no desire to. I know I'm a smart-enough person and have occasional 'blonde' moments and that's good enough for me. I think the scores are an arbitrary number anyway that don't amount to much in the real world. And don't most topics like this go against the numbers (ie everyone is 'above average')?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »

10 50 124 200 1600

5x5 = 25
    20x20 = 400
    12x12 = 144
    40x40 = 1600
    10 16 22 25 28

??????

It means exactly as it says - how many four-sided figures. Standalone or overlapping, sharing an edge with another four-sided figure etc.

Tree
    Blossom
    Bark

Body => Arm => Wrist => Hand => Finger
    Trunk => Bough => Branch => Twig => Leaf