10 things Hollyoaks should not have done.

124»

Comments

• lexstarlexstar Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not letting Mitzeee and Riley finally be together! :'(
  • RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Killing Mr C. He was hollyoaks at the time :(
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Agree with what everyone says.

Also Hollyoaks takes the mickey out of homosexuality. Everyone just sleeps with everyone by default because they happen to be gay. How John Paul and Ste are still together (or even got together in the first place) is still beyond me, they have zero chemistry and cheat on each other a lot. Yes they both are popular characters (although JP should never have come back after leaving with Craig, his character has been utterly ruined by atrocious writing) but they just don't work together.

Hollyoaks is not gentle with homosexuality - and certainly not with bisexuality. It stereotypes everyone as taking drugs and sleeping around, and cheating on partners they do have - this especially with gay men but not exclusively.

What Hollyoaks lacks (especially in recent years) is genuine love stories between gay men and between gay women. I think McDean and to some extent Stendan were and continue to be the only true examples of this. LGBT relationships should be about love, not sex.

Not that i wanna start a war, but Stendan an example of a genuine love story? LOL hilarious! All those so called "stereotypes" you mentioned, they were all there with Stendan.
  • Tweety PieTweety Pie Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Brian Kirkwood
    2) Freddie
    3) Dodger and Maxine
    4) Lindsey and Freddie
    5) The non existent aftermath of Patrick abusing Maxine
    6) Overusing Patrick and Sienna
    7) Dodger being Nico's dad
    8) Killing off Sam Lomax
    9) Ste and Doug
    10) The Sharpes (especially Gabby)
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brought Mercedes and Teresa back.
  • theeddiemundotheeddiemundo Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I don't like the way set changes are made all of a sudden, without characters mentioning it, plus the way space in some places seem to be never-ending:

1. The Lomax's place having the wall torn down in the middle when they first bought it.
    2. The Lomax's - the imaginary back door that people seem to be able to go out through (burglars)
    3. The steps up to those apartments - how does Diane get the buggy up there, and how did Will make it up and down in the wheelchair (when he was paralyzed)
    4. When the Costellos bought the Dog, the apartment upstairs was transformed all of a sudden.
    5. The Hutch - complete transformation, even outside the building. Would be nice to see Tony looking at plans, see how everything is developing
    6. The sudden disappearance of SU Bar. Dodger didn't even speak about it - even though he had a job there for a long time.
    7. That Burger Place that i think Ravi owned. He also owned that little chipper beforehand, that was burned down. Again such a quick transformation.
    8. The Savages boat. Gets blown up, nothing said about it in the next episode. Is there even anything there now?
    9. Esthers Magic Bean. Completely unbelievable - finds money, buys the coffee place - and then in a matter of one day has the whole place renamed with new signage. what ever happened to due diligence? :p
    10. The hospital and police station use of that chequered blue and clear glass. Every scene in the hospital is near that thing, whether a patient is right up beside it, a person is secretly listening to a conversation, or a seat is there.
  • Bona dragBona drag Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brought Mercedes and Teresa back.

Agreed, I think Mercedes was a horrible character and her comeback storyline is ridiculous. I hate the way Teresa is being portrayed as being harmless and ditzy when she is a murderer who has shown no remorse for what she has done and has never received suitable punishment.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Zero mention of the boat after it was destroyed
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bona drag wrote: »
    Agreed, I think Mercedes was a horrible character and her comeback storyline is ridiculous. I hate the way Teresa is being portrayed as being harmless and ditzy when she is a murderer who has shown no remorse for what she has done and has never received suitable punishment.

EXACTLY. People like Patrick are slated but Teresa is far worse but is played as lovable and ditzy.
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EXACTLY. People like Patrick are slated but Teresa is far worse but is played as lovable and ditzy.

Theresa is just awful all round.
  • seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll never forget that episode (just before the train crash saga) where Theresa said that she couldn't understand why Carmel seemed to hate her. Mercedes basically said "well, you did have an affair with her husband and then get pregnant and kill him" and Theresa just offhandedly said "that was one mistake"! My jaw dropped!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Scorpio87 wrote: »
    1. The ruination of Becca with her affair with Justin - this storyline went on for ages and really ruined my opinion of Becca for a long time all for some stupid forbidden love story that in reality was just trashy. Becca had been cheated on too many times to do it to someone, let alone throw her entire life away on a 16 year old school boy. She became very selfish and downright unlikeable and i was absolutely dumbfounded by the weird 'cutest couple ever'; 'should never have been split up, they were the definition of true love' opinion that went with them. Justin showing his nasty true colours and Becca's reunion (albeit very brief) with Jake and tragic death were the only bits of this storyline which i actually really enjoyed, the rest was just infuriating nonesense.

2. The Sharpes and Davenports - where to start with this shambles? Not only was their introduction bizarre, Gabby, Taylor and Amber were all extremely annoying so by the time we met Phil we'd already taken against them and didn't really care that he was a bit of a bully and had an even duller looking family stashed away somewhere. The writing and acting was terrible and their sudden departure to go and live with Gabby's father was so random that its obvious the producers knew just what a rubbish family they'd introduced.

3. Turning geeky Will into killer Will - not only because there was no reason behind the sudden change but because it was just OTT. Will wasn't as popular as Dodger and it was quite obvious that the producers had absolutely no intention of developing Will by giving him an actual storyline of his own so instead decided to change Will into a creepy serial killer so Dodger would always come out looking like a hero in any given situation. If they had stopped at him accidently killing Texas it may have been plausible, but of course this being Hollyoaks he suddenly started killing (or trying to) kill everyone in sight and no one batted an eyelid considering the majority of people in the village knew he could walk yet was still pretending to be crippled.

4. Killing Kurt off screen - This was a very strange decision. Kurt was their original pin up, and while Jeremy Edwards career was doing quite well at the time and he was unlikely to return at the time it seemed like a very random thing to do. His ghost returning in the last Hollyoaks Later was one of the few highlights and its a shame the show was shortsighted enough to kill him off off screen all to create a little storyline for Tony, Ruth, Lewis and Kate.

5. Chickening out of killing off Brendan - i hated The Brendan show with a passion and was so pleased when he announced he was leaving and the final scene on the Chez Chez' balcony being shot down by police should have been the end of him. But no he had to survive one more episode for more mushy nonsense with Ste and be locked up for killing the 320 people he'd got away with killing previously all to leave the door open on the remotest chance he might one day come back.

6. Butchering Maddie for the sake of Esther - Esther wasn't interesting. Two/Three years on Esther's still not interesting. Maddie was. And two/three years later i'm still annoyed Queen Maddie was sacrificed for 'woe is me' Esther. >:(

7. Frankie's affair with Ziggy/ Sandy's affair with Dodger- Both look good for their age but cougars, really? Both were very cringeworthy. If they'd had affairs with Diane and Martha it would have been more plausible. Plus it showed up once again what a nasty piece of work Frankie is.

8. Freddie and Lindsey - i'm not sure if the writers are deluded enough to think that we're actually rooting for these two to get away with everything but i'm firmly on team Joe. Freddie has killed someone and i'm sick to death of Lindsey announcing to all and sundry that he' 'not a cold blooded killer'. The problem is we don't like Freddie/Lindsey together, he's been accused of so many crimes (some he's done, others he hasn't) that its too hard to keep up so most people don't really care and he just seems to get away with everything!

9. Suzanne and Darren's affair/The twins - what was all that about? Loyal Suzanne suddenly ruining her family all for a fling with Darren was bad enough but her return and giving birth to Darren's (now rarely acknowledged) twins was just ludicrous. I'm still annoyed he named his daughter Francine after Frankie. What about his 'real' Mother Celia who brought him up, why would he name it after his stepmother who he's never been that close to?. Terrible.

10. Dropping the student aspect of the programme - that was their usp and now it does feel like a Caualty spin off. Yes soap characters end up in hospital more often than regular people do but i don't think an episode has gone by without at least one scene in there. Hollyoaks should challenge themselves to see if they can go a whole week of episodes without having to enter the hospital.

I've probably got loads more but they are some of the main ones for me. :)
    Good ones.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll never forget that episode (just before the train crash saga) where Theresa said that she couldn't understand why Carmel seemed to hate her. Mercedes basically said "well, you did have an affair with her husband and then get pregnant and kill him" and Theresa just offhandedly said "that was one mistake"! My jaw dropped!

I think that was the joke!
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's just the fact she dismissed it all as one mistake when my jaw fell.
  • alienghostalienghost Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scorpio87 wrote: »
    The Sharpes and Davenports - where to start with this shambles? Not only was their introduction bizarre, Gabby, Taylor and Amber were all extremely annoying so by the time we met Phil we'd already taken against them and didn't really care that he was a bit of a bully and had an even duller looking family stashed away somewhere. The writing and acting was terrible and their sudden departure to go and live with Gabby's father was so random that its obvious the producers knew just what a rubbish family they'd introduced.

I'd actually completely forgotten about the Davenports! I vaguely remember the Sharpes though. They were rubbish, but the producers should have realised that before it made it on screen, and ripping them out was probably one of the main reasons for the editing being a mess for months afterwards.

I'm trying to think of ones that haven't been mentioned. The retconning to explain Warren coming back from the dead was ridiculous. Admittedly, I've always thought he was an overrated character anyway.

That storyline when a couple were living with Ste. First it was as if they were part of some kind of cult, then it was they were trying to steal Ste's baby to sell it, then it was that the woman wanted to keep Ste's baby for herself. It was like the writers/producers had absolutely no idea of where that storyline was supposed to be going and were just making it up as they were going along.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop the seemingly endless supply of McQueens so when one leaves we get 3 in their place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of this can be summarised in:

1. Bringing back Bryan Kirkwood after the mess he made at Eastenders.

Special mention to killing off Anna, was so much more to be done with her than a killing with little motive and ineffective impact.
  • bobby-lee 101bobby-lee 101 Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think instead of making Sandy Darren's mum they should've made Jack Joe&Freddies dad
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think instead of making Sandy Darren's mum they should've made Jack Joe&Freddies dad

Its like What was the point of Sandy being Darren's mom:D