Options

Bridge & Terry don't shake hands again

13»

Comments

• Options
    mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    kana wrote: »
    He could restrict access between his child and an unsuitable partner but would have absolutely no say in what his ex got up to with him. That's what being split up means, no longer any of his business what she does or with whom.

Provided it doesn't impact on his child and to ensure that his child is not being put into unsuitable situations he has every right to be kept informed of who is in his child's life.

That's not to say he gets to pick and choose who her partners are or what they get up to 24/7 but he does have a right to know they guy's name at least if that guy is going to be around the child.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    If Bridge thought Terry was unsuitable to be around his child would he not take rather stronger action than refuse to shake hands with him? Sorry, that argument does not float.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    So what is the reason for the handshake before the game?
    A handshake is a sign of trust. In olden times you were offering your sword hand without a weapon in it. Bridge should shake Terry's hand to show that whatever happened off the field, there is no malice between them on it.

All this talk about Terry's alleged affair ignores the fact that Vanessa Perroncel sued the papers over the alegation and won. In other words the papers could not prove the alleged affair took place.

I have to say I agree with the OP that this "code among mates" is completely bogus. It's basically about blokes assuming they have "rights" over their past women. She had a relationship with Bridge and they had a baby. That does not mean she cannot have a relationship with another teammate in future. I think Bridge should grow up and put the past behind him. When he refuses to shake Terry's hand, who's the one who looks foolish?
  • Options
    mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    I think Bridge should grow up and put the past behind him. When he refuses to shake Terry's hand, who's the one who looks foolish?

The people who are making a big issue out of it.

If Bridge had caused a huge scene and make a big song and dance about it then I'd agree that he would look foolish, but he didn't.

He simply shook the mascot's hand and then went to shake the next players hand, no fuss or histrionics of any kind.

The only person making an issue out of it are the media.

It's Bridge's perogative how he feels about Terry and whether or not he shakes his hand, so why do people insist he has to conform to their standards because they don't see the problem? There's no requirement for them to shake hands, so if Bridge chooses not to then that's his choice, and it's not for anyone to preach at him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    mel1213 wrote: »

If Bridge had caused a huge scene and make a big song and dance about it then I'd agree that he would look foolish, but he didn't.

He simply shook the mascot's hand and then went to shake the next players hand, no fuss or histrionics of any kind.

It's Bridge's perogative how he feels about Terry and whether or not he shakes his hand, so why do people insist he has to conform to their standards because they don't see the problem? There's no requirement for them to shake hands, so if Bridge chooses not to then that's his choice, and it's not for anyone to preach at him.

Very well put !
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mel1213 wrote: »

I disagree. It isn't preaching to him if people tell him his behaviour doesn't look that mature. Bridge is the one who looks churlish by declining the offered hand, he doesn't have to make a big show of it to look like that. It's nothing to do with the media build up for me (I didn't take any notice of it), it's simply how it looks on TV.

A handshake is not required, but it is expected. There must be many players who hate each other's guts yet nevertheless shake hands before a game.

I think he should give up trying to hold a grudge against Terry and concentrate on rebuilding his football career, which has undoubtedly suffered as a result.