DAB in Northern Ireland?

Comments

• Options
    Fred RickwoodFred Rickwood Posts: 830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Belfast FM 's website now up and running:

http://www.belfast89.com/

Was due to launch tomorrow but thus has been delayed until the end of June for some reason:

"An update on our launch - this has been delayed for reasons beyond our control, and is now due to take place by the end of June."

Looks like the frequency is going to be 89 MHz or thereabouts (89.6 maybe ?)
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Hertz wrote: »
    BBC Radio Foyle has appeared on the local mux from today at 128 kbps.
    A month later, and the BBC officially launches BBC Radio Foyle on DAB on 15th June (http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/news/item56). I take it the station has been on-air continually since it was first reported as live on DS?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    A month later, and the BBC officially launches BBC Radio Foyle on DAB on 15th June (http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/news/item56). I take it the station has been on-air continually since it was first reported as live on DS?

Since the 11th May.

No breaks in transmission, as far as I'm aware.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Hertz wrote: »
    Audio quality on Downtown Country on DAB is currently appallingly bad. So low it's virtually unlistenable.

Do the engineers at the station not keep an eye on these things ?

I am a country music fan and the most unlistenable thing is the choice of music!

Who chooses the music on that station!
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a country music fan and the most unlistenable thing is the choice of music!

Who chooses the music on that station!
    Reading the history of Country 1035 is depressing, at one point was 250k listeners and then dropped to 31k and never making a profit before closing
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/katr/annexes/applctn.pdf
    from the wikipedia
    "As staffers and DJ's alike bickered about what was "true" Country music, the operation began to run out of money and Country 1035 faced closure."
    3C and Emap also had problems.

It looks like getting the right music mix and running costs will be important. Hopefully Bauer and the Downtown presenters will get something together that will survive long term?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Reading the history of Country 1035 is depressing, at one point was 250k listeners and then dropped to 31k and never making a profit before closing
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/katr/annexes/applctn.pdf
    from the wikipedia
    "As staffers and DJ's alike bickered about what was "true" Country music, the operation began to run out of money and Country 1035 faced closure."
    3C and Emap also had problems.

It looks like getting the right music mix and running costs will be important. Hopefully Bauer and the Downtown presenters will get something together that will survive long term?

Maybe I am completely wrong but I just get the impression that the music is being programmed by people who don't really know country music.
  • Options
    AliAsteriskAliAsterisk Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    I know this isn't solely something that effects DAB in Northern Ireland, but I was wondering about any changes we could expect to the local mux after Sound Digital / D2 launches.

Bauer were quick enough to put Kisstory along with Absolute stations on the local mux and others across the country but could we see Kisstory and Heat being replaced with other "national" brands from Bauer? Or would the free space be suitable for more local services such as U105 or even Belfast 89? Its seems strange though that UTV are willing to be part of a consortium behind the new national mux but are yet to put U105 on DAB :confused:
  • Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this isn't solely something that effects DAB in Northern Ireland, but I was wondering about any changes we could expect to the local mux after Sound Digital / D2 launches.

Bauer were quick enough to put Kisstory along with Absolute stations on the local mux and others across the country but could we see Kisstory and Heat being replaced with other "national" brands from Bauer? Or would the free space be suitable for more local services such as U105 or even Belfast 89? Its seems strange though that UTV are willing to be part of a consortium behind the new national mux but are yet to put U105 on DAB :confused:

Likelihood here and elsewhere is that, in areas, such as NI, where not all of Bauer's current stations are available, the slots vacated by stuff moving to D2 (and potentially D1) could be taken up by the addition of currently unavailable stations (like Absolute 70s, Kerrang!, KissFresh), or released to other operators if no longer required...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    or even Belfast 89?

As usual, NI has been left out of the experimental citywide minmuxes. I would imagine 89FM would have gone onto a citywide DAB multiplex. It's interesting RTE are on the Manchester experimental licence.

It'll be interesting to see what appears on the local mux and D1 when D2 starts. I'd love to see Absolute 70's.

Doesn't look as if Capital or Heart will appear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As usual, NI has been left out of the experimental citywide minmuxes. I would imagine 89FM would have gone onto a citywide DAB multiplex. It's interesting RTE are on the Manchester experimental licence.

It'll be interesting to see what appears on the local mux and D1 when D2 starts. I'd love to see Absolute 70's.

Doesn't look as if Capital or Heart will appear.

I think it was mentioned previously on the thread for local DAB that a few of the Belfast community stations along with BFBS were interested in running one here but were overlooked by Ofcom.

I'd say when D2 starts we could see a few of Bauer's stations making an appearance. Possibly Kiss Fresh or Kerrang and at least one of the Absolute decade stations. It would be great if RTÉ were to take the opportunity and have at least RTÉ Radio 1 and maybe either 2FM or RnaG on the local mux, but I won't hold my breath.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a real pity NI didn't have any regional ILR stations like the rest of the UK did in the early to mid 90's. I think that's the main reason why we don't have either Capital, Heart, or Smooth on DAB (or FM) like the rest of the UK. I think it would have broken the mould of the same old personalities running things over here.

Interesting point about a local citywide DAB mux.

Shame we've been overlooked by Ofcom, yet again.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capital xtra and Smooth extra are now on DAB nationally. Heart extra on D1 might have to wait till after a revamped XFM (radio x?)?.

To maximise local revenue on Heart, Global will need a Belfast local ad sales office and ideally FM. U105 is not up for sale. Maybe Q might sell out but unlikely.
    Also DAB listening is lower than the average in UK, see the Ofcom radio report. But increasing eventually enough perhaps for a local Heart to survive on DAB and internet with a local breakfast and drive show?

There was going to be just 3 minimux trails and now 10 in areas where DAB listening is high to improve chance of success. If they are a success then other places (like Belfast) may get their own minimuxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Capital xtra and Smooth extra are now on DAB nationally. Heart extra on D1 might have to wait till after a revamped XFM (radio x?)?.

To maximise local revenue on Heart, Global will need a Belfast local ad sales office and ideally FM. U105 is not up for sale. Maybe Q might sell out but unlikely.
    Also DAB listening is lower than the average in UK, see the Ofcom radio report. But increasing eventually enough perhaps for a local Heart to survive on DAB and internet with a local breakfast and drive show?

I understand the issue with local ad sales, etc for a DAB only station in NI but would it not be in Global's interests to have the London version of Capital and Heart on DAB here and when listening increases bring in local breakfast/drive shows? Local versions of Capital, Heart or even Smooth could help with the uptake of DAB here
  • Options
    sparknetsparknet Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this is true. Heared this unamed station playing hits from the 70s,80s and early 90s launches on Tues 1st September.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparknet wrote: »
    Not sure if this is true. Heared this unamed station playing hits from the 70s,80s and early 90s launches on Tues 1st September.

?????????????????
    Also DAB listening is lower than the average in UK

Largely due to no Digital 1 in the province, I would imagine.

As I say, it's a pity regional commercial stations never extended into Northern Ireland. If there was enough advertising in Wales for regional commercial radio then why not Northern Ireland (similar demographics and population)

Capital, Heart and Smooth are really the replacements for the regional commercial networks that went before them i.e Galaxy, Century/Real/Scott FM and Jazz FM etc.

I think local radio here is pretty much stagnant and still dominated by the same people who were running things 40 years ago. The whole scene needs a real shake up. Personally, I wouldn't complain if the national commercial networks organised here and replaced some of the local rubbish.

The imminent sale of UTV to ITV could have repercussions in the radio market here as well. That can't come soon enough either.
  • Options
    Nigel82Nigel82 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Any word on weather we'll get Radio X on DAB in Northern Ireland?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nigel82 wrote: »
    Any word on weather we'll get Radio X on DAB in Northern Ireland?

Yes, it will be national across the whole of the UK (including Northern Ireland) on Digital 1
  • Options
    sparknetsparknet Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I like listening 2 local radio in n.ireland if it's bbc, commercial r community radio. It would sad 2 hear about shinefm Banbridge community radio which closed down due 2 funding.*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also Northern Ireland already has two psuedo-regional stations presently, Downtown & Q Radio

But not in the early-mid 90's when stations such as Real Radio, Century, Galaxy, and Scott FM started in England, Scotland, and Wales.

It's a crying shame we never had proper regional commercial radio here. As I say, if it's viable in in Wales then surely it should have been here ? Downtown is simply a local Belfast station that has expanded outside it's coverage area, The Q network is several local stations merged. Neither could be classified as regional commercial stations as they existed across the water. It's a real shame because it's the main reason why we don't have national commercial networks such as Capital, Smooth, or Heart on DAB or FM here.
    I've never really heard much locally from people talking about Absolute

Interestingly, any time I've been in Carrick leisure Centre they have Magic (Now UK) playing in the background rather than any of the local stations, so some people must have an interest in listening to stations like Heart and Absolute.

As for the local radio scene here, without saying too much, no other region in the UK has a set up were local commercial radio is still being run by the same person that was running things forty years ago.

Personally, as far as radio goes Ofcom has sold this region of the UK very badly short.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparknet wrote: »
    I like listening 2 local radio in n.ireland if it's bbc, commercial r community radio. It would sad 2 hear about shinefm Banbridge community radio which closed down due 2 funding.*

Yep, shame that Shine FM has closed.

Community radio across the UK appears to be struggling badly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do remember that when Downtown started back in 1976 two decisions were made. (1) not to use Independent Radio News in favour of local news readers / journalists, and (2) to use local presenters rather than cross channel personalities. It's probably why Northern Ireland radio in general sounds the way it does. Other people may like it, but I'm not a big fan.

As you say, opposition to anything new coming in from across the water is probably why we don't have Smooth, Capital, or Heart on the local DAB mux.

If I remember correctly, there were proposals for a regional commercial station in NI but this never happened for some reason, which is a shame.

I always wondered myself why Absolute only have one AM transmitter in the province.

I see BBC Radio Foyle has now started on satellite so it should appear on the Sky/Freesat EPGs soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interestingly, Capital doesn't have an FM presence in Liverpool and yet is on the DAB Liverpool mux.

However, this is about to change:

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/10/confirmed-juice-fm-to-become-capital-in.html#more

To be honest, I could quite easily see Cool FM as Capital Belfast, U105 as Smooth Belfast, and the Q network as Heart NI, along with Downtown's AM service carrying the networked north of England/Scottish service.

Local radio here could be on borrowed time given what's happening in the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could U105 lose it's Freeview slot in NI ?
    Meanwhile, UTV and ITV have reached an agreement, which will see the newsroom at Havelock House continue to supply Northern Irish radio station U105 with news. It's not clear at this stage if the deal will affect U105's Freeview carriage. The station currently occupies a small slice of bandwidth bundled alongside UTV's channel 3 service as part of the Northern Irish version of the D3&4 Freeview multiplex, distributed to every TV transmitter site in the province.

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/11/new-name-for-utv-radio-following-sale.html#more
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just in case anyone hasn't realised, Digital2 has been testing on and off for the last couple of weeks, so some extra stations for some over the next few months and less for others.

Only one transmitter in NI (although I'm sure I did see Londonderry (Derry) mentioned somewhere).

Reception not to bad at this location, but some drop outs in the lee of Carnmoney Hill along the dough Road.

Look out for a single station with the ID "Sound Waves", and a loop of "wave" sounds (rather like birdsong radio), or 6 streams with an ID "3G"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Monday 30th April, Heat and Kisstory will disappear from the local NI mux. Duplicates of Absolute 80's, and Planet Rock will also have gone from Digital One.

Given there's now quite a lot of space available on the local Bauer mux, I'd like to see Gold take up the available capacity and maybe Absolute 60's, since U105 appear uninterested in local DAB here.

I'd also love to see Absolute 70's on D1, but maybe this is all wishful thinking.