Constantine

Comments

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    So is this not being shown on television in the States? Can you only watch it on Amazon Prime Instant Video?

Episodes air on NBC first, and then the next day they go on Amazon Prime video, in both the US and UK..
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Episodes air on NBC first, and then the next day they go on Amazon Prime video, in both the US and UK..

Oh, okay. Thanks.

So am i right in thinking that ONLY Amazon has the rights to show this in the UK and that it won't be allowed to be shown on any UK tv channel?
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    So am i right in thinking that ONLY Amazon has the rights to show this in the UK and that it won't be allowed to be shown on any UK tv channel?

Either that or Amazon UK has an "exclusivity window" that lasts a period of time and then closes at a certain point. That is the kind of deal Amazon UK has with the series Vikings: the History Channel in the UK showed season one of Vikings about a year after Amazon UK had it.
  • F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the episode. He absolutely did NOT say the s-word or the f-word. Maybe you misheard him and thought you heard something you didn't. The b-word, absolutely. But as I noted in the comment above, US network censors don't care if the Brits consider a word a swear word. If it isn't considered a swear word in the US, they have no problem with it.

Actually he does say the f-word. I don't recall him saying shit but he def does say the former.

John: Yea well I checked out. I'm all better. *Shouts up to the heavens* "You hear that? I'm okay! So f*ck off"
    Manny: You're not okay John. You damned a girl to hell....
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Just watched Constantine and I enjoyed it again the second time around as I had watched the leaked pilot.However I did notice the change as earlier stated in this thread that the end of the episode had been changed with the girl drawing wasn't in the earlier leaked pilot episode I saw!

I just worry that lots of viewers in the US and UK will see it as a copy of Supernatural if they are not aware of the comics and this may put them off the show!

Anyway Im going to give it a chance and Im interested to see where they go with the second episode!
    Forum Member
    F1etch wrote: »
    Actually he does say the f-word. I don't recall him saying shit but he def does say the former.

John: Yea well I checked out. I'm all better. *Shouts up to the heavens* "You hear that? I'm okay! So f*ck off"
    Manny: You're not okay John. You damned a girl to hell....

Like I said, you misheard. I watched that scene again. Constantine told the winged angel to "flap off."

Something you need to know about US broadcasting regulations. If the f-word is said on NETWORK TV, the Federal Communications Commission can fine the network into poverty and even take away its broadcasting licence.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankly I liked the Liv character, but will see what the second eps like before I decide whether to continue watching.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Decent enough pilot, but far too rushed.

Looking forward to seeing where it goes.......
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I've fallen asleep the three times I've tried to watch it. It's OK until the ghost train then it all sort of fritters away into nothing. Matt Ryan is great and this could be fantastic, but it really doesn't feel like the comics, so we'll see what happens next episode.

This was one of the shows I was really looking forward to, but I can't help think that like so many others, this will be something of a disappointment :(
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of good stprylines that could be used. Dangerous habits being the most obvious, highwater, bloodlines, family man, the homecoming marines, zed storyline.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope the show isn't too serialized. That's my only issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like I said, you misheard. I watched that scene again. Constantine told the winged angel to "flap off."

Something you need to know about US broadcasting regulations. If the f-word is said on NETWORK TV, the Federal Communications Commission can fine the network into poverty and even take away its broadcasting licence.

I did not know this....

Well "F*ck off sounds better than flap off anyway.... :D
  • themightypierrethemightypierre Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Watched the pilot, thought it was okay.

Does Constantine actually have powers or does he just talk demons into submission all the time?

It's a few years since I read the comics but I'm pretty sure he's got a sixth sense for the supernatural, is an extremely skillful exorcist and is really fearless.

I thought they got his characterisation just right. Charming, arrogant and not terribly likable. Good start.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the first episode. Loved seeing Doctor Fate's helmet in the house. Nice touch. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was really good. Enough nods to the original material, Zed, Richie, Newcastle, Ravenscar. It seems more like the new Constantine in some respects rather than Hellblazer one though.
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Just watched Constantine and I enjoyed it again the second time around as I had watched the leaked pilot.However I did notice the change as earlier stated in this thread that the end of the episode had been changed with the girl drawing wasn't in the earlier leaked pilot episode I saw!

I just worry that lots of viewers in the US and UK will see it as a copy of Supernatural if they are not aware of the comics and this may put them off the show!

Anyway Im going to give it a chance and Im interested to see where they go with the second episode!

They re-worked the pilot so that the Liv character is not going to be a regular now and the one we see drawing will be.

I know a little about Constantine, though I've not read the comics, so I was looking forward to seeing the pilot; I wasn't sure it was going to make it to the UK at all so the news about Amazon was excellent and I enjoyed the pilot. It does have a Supernatural vibe but since I enjoy that show and I can't watch new seasons legally I'm glad this one is available.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the Liv character a regular in the comics?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    varsas wrote: »
    They re-worked the pilot so that the Liv character is not going to be a regular now and the one we see drawing will be.

I know a little about Constantine, though I've not read the comics, so I was looking forward to seeing the pilot; I wasn't sure it was going to make it to the UK at all so the news about Amazon was excellent and I enjoyed the pilot. It does have a Supernatural vibe but since I enjoy that show and I can't watch new seasons legally I'm glad this one is available.

Liv was not in the comics as far as I recall. Zed was (the girl at the end) she was a graphi artist and had a major storyline in the earlier issues of Hellblazer.
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the Liv character a regular in the comics?

I don't think so; she was created for TV as a way in for viewers.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Watched the pilot, thought it was okay.

Does Constantine actually have powers or does he just talk demons into submission all the time?
    So you didn't pick up on when he:

A ) created a magic binding circle which trapped a powerful demon inside it, leaving the demon with the only option of bargaining to get John to lower the circle.

B ) then cast that powerful demon back to hell with a further incantation?

What did you want? Flight, laser beam eyes, adamantium claws, webbing, a magic hammer? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »

What did you want? Flight, laser beam eyes, adamantium claws, webbing, a magic hammer? :D

I feel like you're making a reference to something here but I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps if Constantine was a psychic wiho doesn't like to get angry he could clarify this for me, he isn't though so ill just say... Dats Silly Lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Constantine gets angry a lot. Plagued by guilt (all his friends die - usually his fault). He's a cocky, borderline alcoholic chain smoking, arrogant, powerful black magician. He's a conman. Think Derren Brown crossed with Aleister Crowley. He is not a superhero.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2nd episode has no references to the greater universe other than Zed's artwork being thd covers of various Hellblazer covers. The Welsh thing is a bit strange, Matt continues to play Constantine well but this monster of the week thing isn't very inspiring. It has a lot of potential though.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    2nd episode has no references to the greater universe other than Zed's artwork being thd covers of various Hellblazer covers. The Welsh thing is a bit strange, Matt continues to play Constantine well but this monster of the week thing isn't very inspiring. It has a lot of potential though.

Not really, the Welsh were known to flock to Pennsylvania for the mining back in the 17th century.

In the late seventeenth century, there was a large emigration of Welsh Quakers to Pennsylvania, where a Welsh Tract was established in the region immediately west of Philadelphia. By 1700, the Welsh accounted for about one-third of the colony’s estimated population of twenty thousand. There are a number of Welsh place names in this area. There was a second wave of immigration in the late eighteenth century, notably a Welsh colony named Cambria established by Morgan John Rhys in what is now Cambria County, Pennsylvania.

The Welsh were especially numerous and politically active in colonial Pennsylvania, where they elected 9% of the legislature. In the 19th century thousands of Welsh coal miners emigrated to the anthracite and bituminous mines of Pennsylvania, many becoming mine managers and executives. The miners brought organizational skills, exemplified in the United Mine Workers labor union, and its most famous leader John L. Lewis, who was born in a Welsh settlement in Iowa. Pennsylvania has the largest number of Welsh-Americans, approximately 200,000; they are primarily concentrated in the Western and Northeastern (Coal Region) regions of the state.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info but that is not going to be widely known! Good on them though. I don't think they are doing enough to make Constantine a bastard.