Blackpool

Lolly_Du_BekeLolly_Du_Beke Posts: 1,286
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any of you lovely people from Blackpool?

My partner and I have really crappy lives where we live in Leeds. I lost my job and he hates his. Despite leaving behind our parents, We can't wait to leave this rotten place.

I've always dreamed about living at the coast and blackpool is my favourite place so naturally I've decided that's where I would like to go, and thankfully my partner agrees.

But before we make such a big move we want to make sure we are making the right decision. So I wondered if any people who live or have lived in Blackpool would be kind enough to share their opinions, words of advice etc.
Is it hard to get jobs? Are there still jobs out of season? Anything you lovely people can tell me would be really appreciated.

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shithole, you would be better in southport or a bit further down towards Liverpool
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shithole, you would be better in southport or a bit further down towards Liverpool

Well I've only been there twice, I still don't know how I managed to repeat the mistake.
    I've never lived further North than Finsbury, but I'd take this guy's advice, Liverpool always seemed okay to me whenever I went there.
    If you're leaving Leeds, anywhere would seem good after that, why not try Kabul?
    No, scratch that, too much like home from home after Leeds.
  • Lolly_Du_BekeLolly_Du_Beke Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough I feel the same about Liverpool as you do about blackpool. Can't stand the place - strange as so many people including my mum love it.

Admitedly we were torn between Scarborough and Blackpool but thought it might be easier to find work in Blackpool - maybe I'm wrong there I don't know.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Funnily enough I feel the same about Liverpool as you do about blackpool. Can't stand the place - strange as so many people including my mum love it.

Admitedly we were torn between Scarborough and Blackpool but thought it might be easier to find work in Blackpool - maybe I'm wrong there I don't know.

I would say Scarborough nicer place to live but harder to find work, blackpool easier to find work but not such a nice place to live
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    I would say Scarborough nicer place to live but harder to find work, blackpool easier to find work but not such a nice place to live

These are our thoughts really.

Although we included Scarborough is very hilly. Blackpool is nice and flat.
    And I have friends in Scarborough but know no one in Blackpool. They're very evenly matched for us really.
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure there are nice parts of Blackpool, as with everywhere. But every time I have visited, it's been crap. It does not look like a nice place to live at all, but like you say, probably easier to find work there.

Personally I'd go for Scarborough, especially if you already have friends there. It's good to have a connection to a place you're planning to start the rest of your life in.

Whatever you choose, good luck and hope it's the right choice for you. If not, I guess you could always move to the other place a few years down the line! :D
    Forum Member
    These are our thoughts really.

Although we included Scarborough is very hilly. Blackpool is nice and flat.
    And I have friends in Scarborough but know no one in Blackpool. They're very evenly matched for us really.

I would also say that scarborough appeals more to the older generation, and blackpool to the younger generation,.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    I would also say that scarborough appeals more to the older generation, and blackpool to the younger generation,.

Well I'm 27 and my partner 35 and we love both places. But admittedly we don't act our ages we're rather boring really lol on this basis people would tell us Scarborough x
    Forum Member
    Well I'm 27 and my partner 35 and we love both places. But admittedly we don't act our ages we're rather boring really lol on this basis people would tell us Scarborough x

I would not say boring, some people just like places that are Quieter and more peacful or people like places that are more lively and louder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's because it's an amazing city with loads going on... Full of tourists, very very expensive to live (in the city) and a haven for major events such as the Giants and the Cunard visit this May.. As opposed to run down shops, the fair, hen parties with inflatable cocks and vomit all over the payment
  • SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has "frying pan" and "fire" written all over it.
    I live in Leeds and while certain parts of it aren't vying with Geneva for the accolade of being "lovely" - I genuinely struggle to believe Blackpool is a step up.
    Where in Leeds has upset you so much that Blackpool is a better option?
  • hils0912hils0912 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I moved to Blackpool (from Leeds) over 18 years ago. My now husband had a house and a job and I was being made redundant so it seemed the logical thing to do at the time. The first job I applied for I got (in fact I then got a phone call from another company begging me to go for an interview and saying that whatever I had been offered pay wise they would beat). I stayed with the first offer!!

We don't go down to the front much during the season as it is just full of idiots and you cannot travel much round the front while illuminations are on!! On the plus side, property prices are cheaper than Leeds!
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blackpool is an unemployment blackspot. This is largely because so many out of town dossers move here. Presumably being a dosser at the seaside where it is cheap to live is seen as being more attractive than being a dosser in a big city where it is expensive to live.
    Mind, that has an upside if you do want to work - less actual competition for what jobs there are.

Bear in mind that there is very little in the way of actual industry. Most people who work here work in the tourist trade. Or the civil service. Though though they're letting a lot of people go just now.

Seasonal jobs are mostly low paid, zero hours contracts for unskilled work often with unsociable hours. The season starts at Easter and runs through to the first weekend in November. A lot of people who work the season don't work at all in the winter. 9 months of minimum wage, working long hours to cover three months of dole. A lot of people who work here for the season lately are Polish, so they tend to go home for two months when there is no work. This is just the modern equivalent of the B&B owners who work the season then shut up shop and go to the Isle of Man or Spain or Florida for three months.

I work all year round in an office in the middle of the town centre and I like it here. But I am originally from here and have family here, though I have lived and worked all over the world but there's no place like home.

People seem to love to slate Blackpool. It is no better and no worse than a lot of other towns the same size with no industry. It has the same problems of social deprivation and drugs. I've lived back here for nearly ten years now, and never been mugged or burgled or unemployed or felt unsafe. Residents steer clear of the tourist hotspots, apart from if they work in them, of course. Because drunken holiday makers in Blackpool are the same as those feeble half wits you see behaving badly on those programmes about Ibiza and Magaluf.

It's what you make of it, same as anywhere else. I like it. Lots don't.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I would second what Espresso has said. The job market in this area isn't good but jobs can be found if you look hard enough and having your own transport helps. Some people travel to jobs in Preston or even further and the rail electrification to Manchester might encourage more people to commute to Manchester.

There are some nice areas away from the town centre and although I have lived here for most of my life I have had very little to do with the tourists. As far as shopping is concerned - forget it.
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    Blackpool is an unemployment blackspot. This is largely because so many out of town dossers move here. Presumably being a dosser at the seaside where it is cheap to live is seen as being more attractive than being a dosser in a big city where it is expensive to live.
    Mind, that has an upside if you do want to work - less actual competition for what jobs there are.

Bear in mind that there is very little in the way of actual industry. Most people who work here work in the tourist trade. Or the civil service. Though though they're letting a lot of people go just now.

Seasonal jobs are mostly low paid, zero hours contracts for unskilled work often with unsociable hours. The season starts at Easter and runs through to the first weekend in November. A lot of people who work the season don't work at all in the winter. 9 months of minimum wage, working long hours to cover three months of dole. A lot of people who work here for the season lately are Polish, so they tend to go home for two months when there is no work. This is just the modern equivalent of the B&B owners who work the season then shut up shop and go to the Isle of Man or Spain or Florida for three months.

I work all year round in an office in the middle of the town centre and I like it here. But I am originally from here and have family here, though I have lived and worked all over the world but there's no place like home.

People seem to love to slate Blackpool. It is no better and no worse than a lot of other towns the same size with no industry. It has the same problems of social deprivation and drugs. I've lived back here for nearly ten years now, and never been mugged or burgled or unemployed or felt unsafe. Residents steer clear of the tourist hotspots, apart from if they work in them, of course. Because drunken holiday makers in Blackpool are the same as those feeble half wits you see behaving badly on those programmes about Ibiza and Magaluf.

It's what you make of it, same as anywhere else. I like it. Lots don't.

Yes and what alot of people dont know is the government has used blackpool as a dumping ground for thousands of homeless people.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you really want to live there, try somewhere a little out of the main town, Bispham or Cleveleys, to the north, Lytham to the south
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you to all those who have given advice we appreciate it. We hope to have made a decision by the end of the year as we don't want to Rush into anything.

To those who think we're mad for wanting to move to blackpool, fair enough that's your opinion but the fact is we love the place. Someone has to ha ha :-)

I will say we are not dossers (not that anyone said we were ;-) lol) and we do want to work. My partner may be able to transfer with his company to a position in Blackpool so he could be sorted already so there'd just be me to find a job hopefully. That's something at last :-)
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    If you really want to live there, try somewhere a little out of the main town, Bispham or Cleveleys, to the north, Lytham to the south

Lytham is lovely.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lytham is lovely.

Agree - and St Annes is also nice. Staying there you get the best of both worlds - the relaxed and upmarket atmosphere of Lytham and St Annes, with Blackpool and its attractions and entertainment a short bus trip away.
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lytham is lovely.

It is lovely, though I should think it's a lot more expensive than Blackpool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is lovely, though I should think it's a lot more expensive than Blackpool.

So is a city break to Baghdad
  • MollybeMollybe Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister lives In Cleveleys and works in Blackpool. She is within walking distance of the beach and the place itself is lovely. If you want me to ask her anything let me know.
  • spiderbootsspiderboots Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I live just outside of Blackpool but used to live there. There are some nice places and some really rough ones too just like any place. I'd suggest you take a look at the places you can afford and have a nosy at the areas on Google street view, sometimes a house can look lovely in the photo but terrible in real life!
    I do go shopping in town, mainly to Boots and Next, but Manchester is only just over an hour a way by direct train so i can treat myself there now and again and Preston is even nearer.
    Good luck with whatever decision you make.
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went there as a kid in 1967, all I remember is the wind and rain. returned with my wife in 1995 for an overnight stay on the way to the Lake District. Stayed in a BB near the tower, and kept awake most of the night with the sound of people throwing up outside.

As someone said earlier, the place is a shithole.
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Manchester and regularly take my toddler to Blackpool - she loves the lights, the arcades, the rides etc.. but not in a month of Sundays would I ever even stay there in a hotel - I ALWAYS stay in St Annes which is a gorgeous little seaside town just 10 mins drive down the coast. It's cleaner, the beach is nicer, and it has a good mix of shops. Blackpool, behind the sparkle of the front and it's appeal to my three year old is quite dirty with no-where central I'd ever want to live. St Annes might be a bit more expensive but I am sure you'd be able to find somewhere there and either work in Blackpool or in St Annes itself.

I'm actually from Leeds too and I understand why you want to leave! I love South Manchester and have considered a move to the coast, too, but I think living there would take away the fun of visiting if that makes sense. I LOVE Scarborough but I think finding a job there would be hard, also rentals are pretty expensive and the cheap ones are snapped up by students.

Wherever you go, good luck OP! :)