Masterchef The Professionals - New Top Chef

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's got a whiff of 'emperor's new clothes' about it.

He's left el bulli and moved on to plain bulli I think.

Just watching on delay, enjoying the deep fried fish throat. Not.
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just hoping that one of the Scottish chefs would put a tiny ball of haggis mix in the middle of their tiny creations!
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how much did the diners pay to pretend they enjoyed this junk.?
  • trebanostrebanos Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It appears the cafe website is taking a right bashing, so I can't find out for myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

185 Euros + booze + taxes

Bargain
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably quite a lot. There was a blackboard there on the wall with some, if not all, creations but I couldn't see a price per item.

I must say that I thought someone was about to pop out and say something like 'April Fool' to the chefs.
  • ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Raw pastry makes me massively ill. I mean properly ill. I simply couldn't eat that.

Greg and Marcus were raving over it, the camera got to Monica and the look on her face told us what she thought of it - and she wasn't impressed.
    Jamie - totally in his element tonight (no surprise really)

Sven - completely out of his comfort zone (a bit like Adam Handling last year)

Brian - out of his comfort zone (we dinnae do this in Aberdeen) but genuinely seemed to grab the challenge with both hands & looked like he genuinely enjoyed himself.

Sheepiefarm - Sorry I can't agree with you. I thought Sven was totally in his comfort zone.
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trebanos wrote: »
    He's got No 4 coming up shortly, according to the Daily Heil.

Yes, you are right, I have just seen it in DS showbiz news. No.5 had better get in line then:D
  • TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is going to be a repeat of last year's final, where the main stand-out chef lost out (Sven in this case).

Personally, I think Brian will win. Just something about this week that's suggested that for me.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually when they go off to a restaurant before the final I think the food looks incredible but every one of those dishes besides the peach dish looked rank.

Wouldn't thank you for surprising me with a trip to there for lunch.
  • Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Hope you all enjoy the Final next week. I shall be testing the restaurants in Florence!

From my experience, eating places in the main touristy part of Florence aren't that good, so try places off the main streets a little further away. In general I had better eating experience in out of the way trattorias and osterias than in the ristorantes.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed that - a totally different concept to food.

Jamie - totally in his element tonight (no surprise really)

Sven - completely out of his comfort zone (a bit like Adam Handling last year)

Brian - out of his comfort zone (we dinnae do this in Aberdeen) but genuinely seemed to grab the challenge with both hands & looked like he genuinely enjoyed himself.

Loved it as well, me and Mr AK agreed that it would be on our list after a lottery win, would love to try all those different dishes, don't expect to like all of them, but I think it would be a fabulous, one off, experience. Lovely chef as well.

Thinking Brian might take this, one of the pack during the early stages (couldn't remember his name for ages), but since the head to heads I don't think he's put a foot wrong, both Sven and Jamie have had a couple of wobbles.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it my imagination but they seem to regularly find crazy cooks in Spain?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianna01 wrote: »
    Probably quite a lot. There was a blackboard there on the wall with some, if not all, creations but I couldn't see a price per item.

I must say that I thought someone was about to pop out and say something like 'April Fool' to the chefs.

'If you need to ask, you can't afford it'?

'Emperor's New Clothes' came mind as I watched it.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I actually like all three finalists. I have liked Jamie all the way through, though he has had a few wobblers, but actually all three finalists have, which makes it interesting.
    I have a feeling Sven is going to over stretch and screw up, like he did with the faerge egg and earlier in the series with the profiteroles that did not quite work.

Brian does seem to have a steely determination, and he does seem to be hitting his stride at the right time.

I really don't mind, they are all lovely.

I didn't think much of that restaurant last night, I usually like something a bit different, but honestly I was watching the judges doing the tasters and thought, God rather them than me, it really did look like the Emperors New clothes.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    places like the restaurant last night do fascinate me a little , but cant help but think that if I went there for one of those taster menus I would be "right where's my dinner" at the end of it
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    places like the restaurant last night do fascinate me a little , but cant help but think that if I went there for one of those taster menus I would be "right where's my dinner" at the end of it

Agreed, think I would be off to McDonalds straight after!
  • sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »

It's 20 courses over 5 hours or so. I suspect at the end of that you waddle into your taxi, stagger out at the other end and go for a long, calm lie down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    I would love the chefs to go to Asia / Japan and see proper cooking. Its all about flavours.

Molecular gastronomy is fine up to a point.
  • cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've really enjoyed this years series & Marcus has made a refreshing change. Brian seems to be the one heading for the win, but I honestly wouldn't mind who wins......although Sven & his bum-chin is my favourite.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm normally a bit sceptical and cynical about these new style restaurants but that one looked impressive. I loved the whole "Forget everything" concept. It would certainly be a once in a life time experience to eat there. I liked the head chef guy too.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You get the impression that regardless of whether or not Sven wins both Marcus and Monica would give him a job any day of the week.

Good luck to all of them, it will be a tight final.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cezzy wrote: »
    I've really enjoyed this years series & Marcus has made a refreshing change. Brian seems to be the one heading for the win, but I honestly wouldn't mind who wins......although Sven & his bum-chin is my favourite.

There has been a real sea change this series. There's none of this pretentous French food, we're seeing British food for a change. The candidates are also being given a lot of freedom, instead of being expected to follow a recipe as they have in the past. Marcus comes across as much more relaxed than Michel.
  • CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good evening.

Sven, Brian and Jamie, good luck!
  • MorningCazzMorningCazz Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has to be Jamie, my fav since beginning