Options

Taking children to 'vigils' and memorials for the dead

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There is a story in the news at the moment about a child that has recently died.

We cant talk about that particular case as there is an ongoing investigation and someone has been charged.

But I notice that the pictures accompanying the news contain queues of families paying tribute to the child and leaving messages with toys and teddies, many left their by other children.

I may sound old fashioned but I find it inappropriate to take children to things like this and Im surprised at the vast number of kids that seem to be there. How do the families explain the death of that child to their children that they take along?

What does the child make of being taken to leave a teddy for a child they dont know?

Comments

• Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I see no problem with it.

There's nothing wrong with a parent teaching their children about sympathy and compassion.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also - I woudn't automatically assume that it's parents taking children along....there's just a chance that children themselves want to express sympathy?
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with a parent teaching their children about sympathy and compassion.

I'd tend to agree with this

just talking about death being sad is enough though, I wouldn't be talking about any surrounding circumstances

although I wouldn't be attending unless I had some sort of connection - to me that would be intrusive and ghoulish - almost trying to claim somebody elses grief as your own.
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think in this instance the community helped search for the young boy, so they felt involved. I suppose it depends on whether the children knew him. In a way it is a sweet gesture rather than to just ignore and in today's society where there is a lack of community spirit more often than not it is touching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand that for someone ( a relative or friend) that the child knows and it helps them process the loss but this particular vigil was going on before people knew the child was dead.

In addition, the child has not died naturally, its a frightening thing for children who are too young to know that something happened to the child and at whose hands that might have been.

They dont need to learn sympathy and compassion in this manner. Theres lots of much more child appropriate ways to learn that.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a lot of the children the bbc showed were pre-school & some went to the same nursery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and in today's society where there is a lack of community spirit more often than not it is touching.

...or perhaps - as society changes - that's how community spirit manifests itself today?
    I can understand that for someone ( a relative or friend) that the child knows and it helps them process the loss but this particular vigil was going on before people knew the child was dead.

It changed; it was a vigil for his safe return...then changed, sadly. Nothing overtly morbid about the first part though - it was an expression of hope that changed into an expression of grief. The important part was the participation in the expression.
    In addition, the child has not died naturally, its a frightening thing for children who are too young to know that something happened to the child and at whose hands that might have been.

Given the modern world - is three REALLY too young to start being educated about its perils? Looking at many recent events, it's too late...
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    What does the child make of being taken to leave a teddy for a child they dont know?

Except there is every chance that they could know the child, from nursery or neighbours or from the park.

And in some cases the child will have asked their parent if they can go.
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...or perhaps - as society changes - that's how community spirit manifests itself today?

Well yes good point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can not shelter kids from the bad in the world, as when they reach adulthood, they will be ill equipped to deal with it. Death is part of life and so is paying respects and grieving, children should be involved in that.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »

They dont need to learn sympathy and compassion in this manner. Theres lots of much more child appropriate ways to learn that.

BIB I don't anyone said or implied that they had to learn sympathy and compassion in this manner and this manner only.

Not that I fully understand vigils, wouldn't attend one myself.
    I'm a bit odd though and prefer my human contact via a screen of some sort.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they are children who live in the neighbourhood they may well have known the child, so I think it's understandable in that situation. Children grieve too.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's only very recently in our history we have begun the strange practice of shielding children from mourning and the rituals surrounding death. I'm not convinced it is healthy. As long as you are honest and gentle with explanations children can cope with most things.
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy Kyle people who drag their kids to such things. Same as those who tape plastic flowers to lamp posts or leave flowers and soft toys, candles and lanterns.

More fool those who thought they were searching. They were taking up valuable police time and had to kept away from the real search. That's why they were walking in a line across acres of grassland along with their kids and dogs. Idiots thought they were on a day out. Makes a change from shopping I suppose.
    There is a distinct divide in this Country and it's not money!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    Jeremy Kyle people who drag their kids to such things. Same as those who tape plastic flowers to lamp posts or leave flowers and soft toys, candles and lanterns.

More fool those who thought they were searching. They were taking up valuable police time and had to kept away from the real search. That's why they were walking in a line across acres of grassland along with their kids and dogs. Idiots thought they were on a day out. Makes a change from shopping I suppose.

Blimey you have got a high opinion of your fellow man:o
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Mutter wrote: »

You're trying just a little bit too hard to be offensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem if there is some connection like their own kid going to the same school or something like that. Also nothing really wrong with strangers leaving cards or something to show that their thoughts are with them.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand it in this case as a LOT of local people were emotionally invested and personally helped the police. But for the most part, public grieving is something I feel very uneasy about - it's become like you're abnormal for not wanting to join in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - it's become like you're abnormal for not wanting to join in.

That's the question - where do we strike...or learn to strike...the fine balance between doing it and doing it too much?

Also...is it a product of the huge spike in "social networking" inasmuch as - do we "flash grieve" in the same way as we "flash mob" nowadays? Have we learned to share in peoples' grief and sorrow because it goes hand in hand with sharing in their joys and pleasures and happiness and all the other details in their lives?
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure that all these memorials etc are what I like anyway, so I certainly wouldn't take young children to them.

They seem, especially in high profile cases, a place where everyone wants to say they've been, and put flowers/toys etc down.

It seems all that money could be better spent.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i live in the south-west of England, and i considered the long journey to Scotland to assist with the search, since i do have some free time, but alas...

I see nothing wrong with taking children to vigils, especially the local ones

When i comes to the search for potential bodies though... i think that should be 18+
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »

Well said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    If they are children who live in the neighbourhood they may well have known the child, so I think it's understandable in that situation. Children grieve too.

Of course children grieve, I work with children and its extremely important to allow them to come to terms with loss, but this is not the same as the child's funeral, the vigil that I saw (unless I misunderstood) was at the aunt's house because thats where he was found, not local to him and his school so Im not sure they were local children, some of them might have been.

It feels very intrusive to me, bearing in mind the possible circumstances. A bit mawkish.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that all these memorials etc are what I like anyway, so I certainly wouldn't take young children to them.

They seem, especially in high profile cases, a place where everyone wants to say they've been, and put flowers/toys etc down.

It seems all that money could be better spent.

Do you think so? You are entitled to your opinion, though.

I see these kinds of things as a community's expression of grief and sorrow and, therefore, a natural reaction. It is also a fact that more people go to Church service memorials, too, when they do not usually go to church on a regular basis. I think that is a good thing also.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I find it shocking whenever a child goes missing (most often they arent found alive) members of the public go out to search and take their children with them! Babies in prams arent an issue but its when they take children who are old enough to understand.

It all liklihood theyre going to stumble upon a dead child if they find anything, so not really wise to take your four year old for a walk with you!