Options

Local DAB Build Out

Comments

• Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed after a DSO date is announced (when digital listening does over 50%)
    http://www.a516digital.com/2016/05/bbc-role-in-possible-future-digital.html
    The Government also expects the BBC to ensure that "appropriate enhancements were made to its local DAB coverage in England – subject to value for money"
    Then in places like the Forest of Dean where R Gloustershire coverage is AM, by this future rollout DAB, Freeview and internet could replace the increasingly expensive to maintain AM sites?
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where I am (Cornwall) there's a need for quite a few infill transmitters. It's annoyingly often that the local mux drops out or goes to bubbling mud while the BBC mux is fine.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    countyboy wrote: »
    Over the years, Muxco has promised much......here in Gloucestershire, a major geographical part of the county gets no DAB service from Muxco (the Forest of Dean). Initially, there were plans for two transmitters... neither have been delivered.
    The recent BBC White Paper referred to improvements needed to local services....let's hope that kicks Muxco into action. Otherwise, that much used Muxco expression about "other transmitters may be launched..." will continue to look good, but mean very little.

MuxCo have never promised to build transmitters in the Forest of Dean, you're referring to the 2011 Ofcom plan after the DCMS asked them to research if DAB could replicate FM coverage.

There is no funding in place for further local transmitters for Gloucestershire, nor is there likely to be until after a DSO date is announced.
  • Options
    sillssills Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Looks like the Kent mux is now on air from Etchinghill, getting good indoor reception (of those 6 station anyway) for the first time in Lyminge.
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sills wrote: »
    Looks like the Kent mux is now on air from Etchinghill, getting good indoor reception (of those 6 station anyway) for the first time in Lyminge.
    thats great as this means kents Local DAB Build Out is almost at a end. jest need the power change to take place in thanet.
  • Options
    Roger_PetersRoger_Peters Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Kent mux in Thanet is fine. Signal strength is good.

Now, the new second national mux is very weak in Thanet. We are on the extreme fringe for reception so it is very poor. I wish they would bump up the power a little or give us our own transmitter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC and D1 are still bad in the lower parts of Lyminge, shame they aren't going to be added to Etchinghill as well. No chance of getting D2 here I think.
  • Options
    airwavesairwaves Posts: 2,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats great as this means kents Local DAB Build Out is almost at a end. jest need the power change to take place in thanet.

There is still Charing Hill, or has it gone live also?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    airwaves wrote: »

Not sure Turnpike Hill is live either?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    airwaves wrote: »

hi airwaves it looks like charing already has kent mux also. but frequencyfinder says its not added yet.
    http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=1176
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sills wrote: »
    Not sure Turnpike Hill is live either?
    your right Turnpike Hill has not had kent mux added yet only the BBC mux is live. same go's for st marks . anyway all of the main east kent site are now live so most of all the black spots are now filled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    your right Turnpike Hill has not had kent mux added yet only the BBC mux is live. same go's for st marks . anyway all of the main east kent site are now live so most of all the black spots are now filled.
    going by Frequency Finder st marks will also be geting BBC & D1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Driving through Etchinghill the signal on D1 and BBC seem worse than they were before. I guess the strong Kent mux is overloading the receiver.
  • Options
    disremberdisrember Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all those nah sayers that said that caterham would get DAB. well its live.

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/06/local-digital-radio-coverage-boost-for.html
  • Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    disrember wrote: »
    all those nah sayers that said that caterham would get DAB. well its live.

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/06/local-digital-radio-coverage-boost-for.html

I posted this on the 25th ;)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=82519685&postcount=322

Making a big difference around Godstone, Oxted and Tandridge areas. :)
  • Options
    disremberdisrember Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangy wrote: »
    I posted this on the 25th ;)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=82519685&postcount=322

Making a big difference around Godstone, Oxted and Tandridge areas. :)

I grew up in Old Coulsdon, so I know the area far too well and its lack of any reception, so has the BBC DAb gone live too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    disrember wrote: »
    I grew up in Old Coulsdon, so I know the area far too well and its lack of any reception, so has the BBC DAb gone live too?

Yes. And there's ACI fillers for other MUXs too, which should benefit Godstone villages and parts of Caterham not otherwise well served. In theory.
  • Options
    adman50adman50 Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    I see there are new Ofcom Tx parameters out .
    Couple of points B'ham multplex Lichfield transmitter has increased from 1kw to 2.5kw. This has considerably improved reception in east shrops & mid staffs.
    Wolv & Shrop wrekin transmitter has increased from 0.5Kw to 2Kw. I assume after liverpool moved block and explains why it can now be recieved in wrexham.
  • Options
    Mr PringleMr Pringle Posts: 6,469
    Forum Member
    I think TxParams tells a lot of the truth of what FrequencyFinder says about "new transmitters" in places, which are actually just ACI fillers. Not sure where that information is coming from, but clearly D1 are not going to build a transmitter at St Marks!!

Confirmed recent ACI fillers (based on tiny ERPs):
    Letchworth, Herts Beds Bucks - 25W
    Maidenhead Hyde Farm - all ACI fillers, except BBC and Now Digital
    Ardovie Quarry, D1 - 45W
    Sidmouth, D1 - 70W

Road coverage black spots for D1 must be all but disappearing.
  • Options
    WenvoeWenvoe Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    ON the Swansea SW multiplex Mynydd Sylen and Carmarthen transmitters are now live. Mynydd Sylen also has BBC national added. Frequency finder still showing that Carmel hasn't been boosted yet from 1 to 2 KW, so not sure if that has been done yet. Local radio station swansea sound had a week of programmes from west wales to highlight their new DAB transmitters in west wales they said, although they never ones mentioned the transmitters by name that i heard. Am assuming they wouldnt have done this if all the new and boosted transmitters had not been done.

On the Mid and West wales multiplex Carmarthen was added at the same time as swansea SW wales went live on Carmarthen apparently but mid and west wales was not added it would seem to mynydd sylen at the same time as swansea. Muxco s website which did have future transmitters as mynydd sylen, carmarthen , Fishguard and blaenplwyf now only has Fishguard as a possible new transmitter. Frequency finder now lists these new transmitters as uncertain so not quite sure what will happen there. Frankly its all a bit confusing i find as to what transmitters are added when on this local dab roll out. Off com tech parameters while very useful often seems to be quite behind the times on specific rollouts i have found. MB21 and frequency finder very useful to but sometimes there seems to be some confusion. I wonder where they all get their info from. Bearing in mind the local dab rollout to 90% is supposed to be completed by September i was wondering are they running to time or are there delays bearing in mind the BBC current rollout is now some months behind its scheduled finish date.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wenvoe wrote: »
    Ofcom tech parameters while very useful often seems to be quite behind the times
    You can say that again ! They still haven't woken up to Wrotham having been transmitting the Kent mux since last November.
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Was recently in Cornwall and surprised to see just how far 12D gets into the county.

how accurate is the Ofcom documentation?
    I've noticed a boost in reception but here suggests that the Freeth Allotments transmitter hasn't yet gone live.
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/radio-ops/coverage/dab-coverage-plans/South_Hampshire_DAB_Coverage_Plan_Final_Report_Jan15.pdf
    (Document also suggests Portsdown Hill has gone live but am told it hasn't)
  • Options
    adc82140adc82140 Posts: 3,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frequency Finder has Chillerton Down now at 5kW and Toot Hill at 1kW for South Hants. If this is the case it's disappointing- for the last couple of weeks there's been a huge hole in the coverage on the A31 between Alresford and Four Marks- previously it was rock solid here. Can a tx power increase elsewhere cause this sort of problem? Will it sort itself out I wonder when Crabwood Farm gets its (fairlypower increase? The only upside is the the coverage hole at Brook in the New Forest seems to have been sorted.

Alternatively the DAB in the car has a problem- Mark C I know you have the same car and drive around the same area- have you noticed anything different?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »
    Was recently in Cornwall and surprised to see just how far 12D gets into the county.

how accurate is the Ofcom documentation?
    I've noticed a boost in reception but here suggests that the Freeth Allotments transmitter hasn't yet gone live.
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/radio-ops/coverage/dab-coverage-plans/South_Hampshire_DAB_Coverage_Plan_Final_Report_Jan15.pdf
    (Document also suggests Portsdown Hill has gone live but am told it hasn't)

Post installation documentation (when communicated either to Ofcom or they get around to adding it) in the TX parameters spreadsheet should be very accurate.

The link above is a plan, which is subject to change, but should be 'thereabouts'.

As for coverage maps, they used to be a bit 'fuzzy' but the more recent Arqiva plotted maps, eg for MuxCo Surrey seem to be impressively accurate (all 3 generations of them) so I'd say the method for producing them has improved quite a bit.

Frequency Finder is very good at 'best effort' but is not always totally accurate, both in terms of misreporting certain live sites, but also missing other bits of info. It's good work, but don't take it as gospel.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adc82140 wrote: »
    Frequency Finder has Chillerton Down now at 5kW and Toot Hill at 1kW for South Hants. If this is the case it's disappointing- for the last couple of weeks there's been a huge hole in the coverage on the A31 between Alresford and Four Marks- previously it was rock solid here. Can a tx power increase elsewhere cause this sort of problem? Will it sort itself out I wonder when Crabwood Farm gets its (fairlypower increase? The only upside is the the coverage hole at Brook in the New Forest seems to have been sorted.

Alternatively the DAB in the car has a problem- Mark C I know you have the same car and drive around the same area- have you noticed anything different?

Yes, I have ! Not driven on the A31 between Alresford and Alton for a while, but a couple of weeks ago I lost the South Hants mux just after Rufus Stone going west
    on the A31, the radio jumped to FM (was listening to Wave 105) then jumped to Wave on the Dorset mux. Normally all that occurs coming down Poulner Hill towards the A338 spur junction. Driving back the other way, the switch back from Dorset to S Hants didn't occur until I came down the hill at Cadnam, almost at the point the A31 turns into the M27. Something has changed. Perhaps a 'sharper' directional antenna at Chillerton, (which might be how they achieved the ERP increase, rather than turning up the wick on the tx itself !)