Options

DS Always Identifies The Wrong Chosen One

C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Thinking about it, remember Ashley Mackenzie in series 3? Remember Hope in series 4? Or Laura White then Diana Vickers in series 5?

Why do we assume that Danyl is the chosen one? Isn't there always a divisive character who is played up in the early stages, gets people talking, then is swiftly shoved aside?

Remember when people were saying "Hallelujah" was chosen for Diana, yet come the final it became clear that the recorded version wouldn't have suited her at all? How in the space of 2 weeks people went from saying "it's a fix for Diana" to "it's a fix for Alexandra". When people reflect on XF3, they remember all the things that suggested Leona was the chosen one, but forget that Ashley was being "pimped" as well. While Hope were being hyped early on, Rhydian's public image was slowly being turned around.

We're told that Danyl didn't get any real interest from America. We know that he's not that popular. And we know that Simon doesn't exactly have a track record of pushing against the tide given his haste to drop acts with low record sales. Even if he did really like Danyl to start with, the chances that he'd stick with him seem slim.

Comments

• Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diana was the chosen one last year, things just didnt go the way Simon wanted them to.

Danyl is the chosen one this year, but I dont think Ashley was the chosen one on 2006, Leona was the chosen one in that year.

In 2005 Shayne was the chosen one and In 2007 Rhydian was the chosen one although again it didnt go the way Simon wanted it to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Simon gives Danyl a standing ovation every time he sings - I like Danyl but he wasn't all that awesome this week and last.
    It makes it look like Simon's favouring him.

Also this thing about the crisis meeting cos he was in the bottom 2 looks like favouritism.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there has been a 'chosen one' since series 3. Obviously the judges, in particular Simon, prefer particular acts to others......but I don't go with the 'chosen one ' theory any more. I think the show brings in enough cash to ensure that Simon doesn't really give a monkey's who wins.
  • Options
    mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simon gives Danyl a standing ovation every time he sings - I like Danyl but he wasn't all that awesome this week and last.
    It makes it look like Simon's favouring him.

Also this thing about the crisis meeting cos he was in the bottom 2 looks like favouritism.

It does I agree yet it seems Simon cannot see this. Also the meeting because he was in the last two is really sad. ;)
  • Options
    DollyDumplingDollyDumpling Posts: 2,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm in a minority of one but I don't believe any of the Chosen One theories.:p

After all it doesn't matter who wins because SC will sign up the acts that he wants and discard the others.

It didn't give either Steve Brookstein or Leon Jackson a great future by winning.

Rhydian seems to be doing rather well and G4 had a reasonable run at it yet neither won.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danyl is just the sacrificial lamb, he's there so we don't get to hate the "probably", couple of acts they wouldn't mind winning. I personally think the 2 they want are Joe and Olly either they would be pleased to have in the final. It's all panto and I enjoy watching all the machinations to ensure we don't get winner fatigue too early on.

P.S could be Stacey as well.
  • Options
    Geelong CatGeelong Cat Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, I think Danyl's just the early favourite, designed to stir up controversy and get a bit of publicity for the show. It's unlikely a contestant who's hyped up this early - especially one backed by Simon - is intended to go all the way and win. There's no possible 'journey' storyline there for a start, if someone's praised to the skies right from the outset. The producers aren't stupid, they know if a contestant is over-hyped there'll be a backlash, and particularly if Simon's the one doing the hyping.

So yeah, I think they definitely want Danyl to stay for the moment, because he's one of the colourful characters this year who draws viewers in. But I don't think they want him to win. Weirdly though, this year there seems no obvious candidate for the win - if I had to guess I'd say it'd be one of Joe, Lucie and Stacey. Rachel would be a VERY outside candidate; she'd have to do an Alex and outstay the more obvious favourites before coming into her own. Possible if the others fall by the wayside, but more likely one of the other three.
  • Options
    child of tyrachild of tyra Posts: 830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Joe is the chosen one this year to be honest. Slowly the comments are getting better despite the bland performances. All the young competition who are IMO more talented (i.e. Lucie) are starting to get more negative feedback.

I do believe Diana was the chosen one last year (although I really liked her of my own accord) but laryngitus screwed up everyone's plans.
  • Options
    lisa1972lisa1972 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    i really dont think the meeting last night was just about Danyl though, i dont think the people they expected to do well are doing well in general. we dont know that Stacey, Lucie, Joe are doing very well in the voting. If they are being beaten by Jamie (who i dont think Simon feels is marketable) J & E, Lloyd etc then they will be worried..
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diana was the chosen one last year, things just didnt go the way Simon wanted them to.

He jumped off that bandwagon just as she was peaking in the voting (her return week). She was never an ideal candidate to be signed to Syco given her musical style. Nor was she remotely hyped through the auditions, boot camp and judges houses (where she was first on, followed by Laura then Alexandra). The other 2 girls had far bigger stories to tell. But Diana did seem to capture some interest. None of the usual "tells" were there to suggest she was a chosen one until she had built some interest and become a talking point.

Of course, we're assuming there even is a chosen one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they are trying to learn by earlier mistakes and the upshot is they know the person who is singled out for fulsome praise and seems a love/hate character at the beginning is anathema to the voting public. So they keep their real faves under wraps for a few weeks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Danyl is the chosen one this year, but I dont think Ashley was the chosen one on 2006, Leona was the chosen one in that year.

In 2005 Shayne was the chosen one and In 2007 Rhydian was the chosen one although again it didnt go the way Simon wanted it to.
    I agree about Rhydian, and although I didn't see very much of Leona's year, I can't imagine that anyone else could possibly have been the producer favourite other than her. It's obvious just from watching her first audition - she's such an outstanding singer there's no way they'd have genuinely wanted anyone else to win.

Disagree about Diana though; her popularity seemed quite spontaneous and unplanned to me, almost word-of-mouth really. I think Laura and Rachel were the initial favoured ones (hence SC saying he wanted to find the new Amy Winehouse earlier in the year), and then Diana's popularity caught them a bit by surprise. They were happy to hop on the bandwagon until she became less popular (probably inevitably, since she was so popular right at the start) and by that time Laura and Rachel had also fallen by the wayside, so they were left with Alex, who I don't think they ever considered as winner early on (not because she's not good, but because her style is a little too similar to Leona's).

Diana's popularity was an unexpected but welcome surprise, I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    Not sure that Joe is the chosen one Simon wasn't quite as nice to him this week, hmm it could be someone he hasn't really rated yet, he never was to keen on Alexandrer at the early stages last year, could be Stacie or Lucie are the chosen ones
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure that Joe is the chosen one Simon wasn't quite as nice to him this week, hmm it could be someone he hasn't really rated yet, he never was to keen on Alexandrer at the early stages last year, could be Stacie or Lucie are the chosen ones

Simon knows the public have to see him "See the light and come around to their way of thinking and realise he's been missing this great talent" that's how the entertainment works they tried a few versions and this is definately the most popular one
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree about Rhydian, and although I didn't see very much of Leona's year, I can't imagine that anyone else could possibly have been the producer favourite other than her. It's obvious just from watching her first audition - she's such an outstanding singer there's no way they'd have genuinely wanted anyone else to win.

Ashley was very definitely Simon's chosen one that year. He turned to Leona after her Summertime performance and after Ashley had been voted out after two visits to the bottom two.

He was also the favourite of the show in general and for once Simon and Sharon agreed.

He was seen as different and original but we joked earlier this year that he had aged up and come back as Jamie Archer.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashley was very definitely Simon's chosen one that year. He turned to Leona after her Summertime performance and after Ashley had been voted out after two visits to the bottom two.

I don't think so. X Factor series 3 was about Leona and Leona only. There is no way on earth did Simon Cowell want another male solo artist winner.

I truly think that the acts chosen that year were chosen on purpose to make Leona stand out.......and that nearly put me off the series altogether.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so. X Factor series 3 was about Leona and Leona only. There is no way on earth did Simon Cowell want another male solo artist winner.

I truly think that the acts chosen that year were chosen on purpose to make Leona stand out.......and that nearly put me off the series altogether.

I don't think Leona was the 'chosen one' until after Summertime, by which time arguably she had proven herself anyway. Up until then I always though she was overshadowed by Ben, Eton Road, Robert and Ashley. As well as the stories of Nikkita and um, the lady in the wheelchair who's name I can't remember.
    I mean, Simon saw potential, but no way did he pimp her until after she had proven herself as a fantastic singer.

I think because of her success since the show, people look back at her time on the show through rose tinted glasses. It was never assumed she would win, in fact I remember people thinking Ray or Ben would win because young girls wouldn't vote for her.

And even if she was always the 'chosen one', it wasn't anywhere near as blatently in your face as it was with Diana and Danyl.
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    The 'chosen one' is Stacey, that will become apparent.
    I think Cowell and co know it's harder for males to have great success from this show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is I don't think what Simon says is what Simon actually wants. I think he tries to make the public think one act is the chosen one, whilst secretly wanting another act that doesn't get such overt favouritism. I think Simon might get scuppered occasionally (Leon) in the final but every year he's refining the process. Simon thinks the British Public is very gullible and he can manipulate him. To be honest that's one of the pleasures for me, watching wondering who the acts are that they really want. I don't think it's ever just one I think they like to have at least a couple
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was also the favourite of the show in general and for once Simon and Sharon agreed.

He was seen as different and original but we joked earlier this year that he had aged up and come back as Jamie Archer.
    I admit I'm speculating here, because I saw very little of that series and only just watched a few clips of him on Youtube - but although Ashley has a nice enough voice, he isn't even close to Leona. If the rumours are true that Simon and Sinitta 'discovered' Leona some years before she appeared on X Factor and were just waiting for the right moment to introduce her, would Simon really have wanted an obviously inferior singer to beat her?

It's pretty rare for someone who seems to be stand-out favourite early on to be the preferred winner, because sustaining that momentum over the whole series is so difficult. Perhaps the favouring of Ashley early on was similar to Danyl - hype him up so that the actual favourite has a chance to gain a bit of momentum?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    He probably was the chosen one, but things change, public opinion changes, simons chosen one changes as a result in response to public opinion/votes and performances.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    masterquan wrote: »
    The 'chosen one' is Stacey, that will become apparent.
    I think Cowell and co know it's harder for males to have great success from this show.

Which is ironic when you think about how well males actually do whilst on the show.
  • Options
    thinkfunthinkfun Posts: 2,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    o always think that the chosen one if there is one is always given good comments never great the suddenly there getting amazing comments.....it happened last year with alexandra i hink simon and co make out like they love someone(diana) byt are just biding time unil everyone is sick of that favourite then they bring out the real chosen one.
  • Options
    DollyDumplingDollyDumpling Posts: 2,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cummon folks we all know that there is really only one winner and the others are all just bit players.;)
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    He jumped off that bandwagon just as she was peaking in the voting (her return week). She was never an ideal candidate to be signed to Syco given her musical style. Nor was she remotely hyped through the auditions, boot camp and judges houses (where she was first on, followed by Laura then Alexandra). The other 2 girls had far bigger stories to tell. But Diana did seem to capture some interest. None of the usual "tells" were there to suggest she was a chosen one until she had built some interest and become a talking point.

Of course, we're assuming there even is a chosen one.

Diana was too unique. Leona would sing a bus time table if she was given one and Alex wasn't that much better at interpreting a song. Diana converted everything into Diana sound and the more different she made it probably the smaller her market would get.

Ironically watching her in the West End Diana can sing in all sorts of styles - she does everything from Piaf to Bassey to Monroe and could quite easily change just a little more in a couple of songs to include Madonna or Emma Bunton in her range too. She didn't want to do that as herself though.

I am tempted to agree with the OP. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the younger prettier males would suit Simon's needs better and although the voters may not be anything like the polls the polls are suggesting the winner will come from there. He has to get rid of Jamie somehow though.