Options

The Bill - Filming finishes forever NEXT monday (14/06/10)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Are these filters (or similar) available for apps such as Virtualdub or avisynth?

The filters are often add ons to software suites like Avid, Final Cut Pro and premiere Pro - Adobe for example make them and other software companies do add ons too. Such as Magic Bullet from Red Giant. The apps you mention I'm not familiar with - but no doubt there will be add ons.
  • Options
    SpaceCandySpaceCandy Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Why are you suprised? Being owned by the same company means nothing. It's a poorly rating show that likely costs a fair bit to produce- why the hell would Five want it when it's likely to flop and lose them a large amount of money?

Five could make it work with some backtracking making it about the Police work and not as much a soap.

You could even use another Police Force. I myself always wanted STV to make The Bill: Scotland and have Strathclyde or a fictional force.
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    the bad casting's had a lot to do with the dire ratings. i used to watch in the early 90s and the characters were so much better.

this lot couldn't act scared on a new york subway at 3am
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the recent episodes have been pretty good. The biggest issue has been the way it's lost its sense of humour, which was what set it apart in the 90s. On a good the day the scripts can still be funny and the stories fresh, but far too many plots now involve missing children and endless poring over CCTV footage. It's still worth watching but a great shame they replaced the more original plots with cute kids and coked-up detectives.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    If they hadn't revamped it, then maybe the show would have stood a chance of staying on air. But it was just too dramatic a change, it put off far too many viewers (myself included) and didn't really attract any new ones. If they'd left well alone, things might have been OK. I'm still not sure why the producers thought moving to once weekly at 9PM meant the show needed such a big change.
    I think sometimes TV execs purposely fiddle with a programme that they have already decided they want to kill off. ie its ultimate removal from the schedules then seems more due to falling audiences than the axe swinging.

Maybe a similar technique to shunting a show into a different timeslot that won't help its ratings.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    mbruce01 wrote: »
    Five could make it work with some backtracking making it about the Police work and not as much a soap.
    No back-tracking required though; as that's what it's like now. It hasn't been a soap for a number of years :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jnojno Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really sad about The Bill being taken off. Watched it since the start and for me Roy Galloway and Ted Roach are by far the best characters the show has ever had. There are certainly many more good storylines over the years though.

The new revamp was rubbish to begin with, too dark and depressing to watch but the most recent episodes and the "Max snorting" storyline has actually been quite enjoyable to watch. Also for me, Eddie, the CSI type with his poor gags, croaky voice and even poorer acting has made the show a bit of a joke. Reg Hollis had so much more real humour to him and when Reg and Tony left, the show sadly really went down the final part of the toilet for me.

I am surprised by the viewing figures - surely they must be getting more than these cheap US imports that FIVE seem to promote. I am all for supporting home grown shows but obviously cost cutting means we are in for a CSI-type diet for the next few years, tragic, but I would love to see The Bill stay on our screens. Taggart seems to have survived and I would be interested to know what the viewing figures are when you compare The Bill and Taggart.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    jno wrote: »
    I am really sad about The Bill being taken off. Watched it since the start and for me Roy Galloway and Ted Roach are by far the best characters the show has ever had. There are certainly many more good storylines over the years though.

The new revamp was rubbish to begin with, too dark and depressing to watch but the most recent episodes and the "Max snorting" storyline has actually been quite enjoyable to watch. Also for me, Eddie, the CSI type with his poor gags, croaky voice and even poorer acting has made the show a bit of a joke. Reg Hollis had so much more real humour to him and when Reg and Tony left, the show sadly really went down the final part of the toilet for me.

I am surprised by the viewing figures - surely they must be getting more than these cheap US imports that FIVE seem to promote. I am all for supporting home grown shows but obviously cost cutting means we are in for a CSI-type diet for the next few years, tragic, but I would love to see The Bill stay on our screens. Taggart seems to have survived and I would be interested to know what the viewing figures are when you compare The Bill and Taggart.
    If Taggart ended that would be it for the Scottish tv industry
  • Options
    FreddiePFreddieP Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    No back-tracking required though; as that's what it's like now. It hasn't been a soap for a number of years :rolleyes:

I agree with his, I keep reading comments that it is like a soap, but even before the revamp it wasn't like a soap. They may have a few ex-soap actors but thats the nearest it got to being like a soap!

I shall really miss it, I feel quite sad that they are filming their last scenes tomorrow.

From what I have read on Twitter it looks like all the current cast are involved in the final episode.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    They filmed the actual final scene last Friday, today they're filming their final ever outdoor scenes. It's kind of sad reading the producers Tweets and knowing that that's it, they'll be no more new episodes in a couple of months.
    I agree. People keep saying they stopped watching when it turned into a soap, but that was years ago and it didn't last long anyway.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I think the essential problem was that it went through too many changes over the years, not only in content but also scheduling, episode length, style, etc. You could draw a parallel with C4 and Brookside - I think once C4 had realised that Brookside didn't quite fit in with the rest of their schedules, they effectively set about killing it off by giving it a rather erratic transmission pattern; same for ITV with Heartbeat and The Royal.
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main problem I have with The Bill atm (although I still generally really like it) is that there are so many characters that I just don't know enough to care about.

I'm not saying it should be too 'soapy' like when all the characters seemed to be having affairs, but I think it's good to know enough about a character that you're interested in them - the way Jack Meadows and Mickey Webb were, and Smithy, the main characters like that. It's one of the reasons I particularly like Neil Manson's storylines, because as a character you get to see a bit of his 'personality'. Whereas there's so much less of that lately I think (maybe it's just me?). There's a lot of focus on CID and not enough of the uniformed officers anymore.

I dunno, I think it's just trying to be something it's not. I still really like it though, and I think it's a shame it's been axed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I've been a fan of the Bill since I was a kid and it's sad to know that it's ending.I've been catching up on the original series and the 1988 half hours shows and when compared with the 9PM episodes,IMO they are much better,characters and storyline wise.The revamp has mainly concentrated on CID.

I'll miss the Bill when it finishes airing but the final nail was put in the coffin by the decision to revamp to make the show more 'gritty'.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know when the final eps will be airing yet?

I haven't watch The Bill in a few years, not for any reason, but will have to watch the last few.

Hopefully they will give it a good send off.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Do we know when the final eps will be airing yet?
    we dont know, depends on how ITV shceulde it I suppose, but everything ive heard suggests it will be finsihed before Septmemeber,
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe it is the last day of filming today for The Bill.
    On or around 14th June
    has been quoted on a couple of websites.

I actually went down to the location yesterday and took a few pics.

Strange seeing the Sun Hill and St Huges exteriors side by side cleverly disguised on screen by the "wafer thin" false wall.

The maps on St Hughs clearly displayed on the walls and the phone box outside on a crate!

Unforunately all the signs were covered up, as I guess that the signs are only displayed when filming is happening or about to happen.

When I was there a 4x4 pulled up and drove onto the forecourt outside the main entrance, stopped then drove off. It was a couple obviously having a look as well. I did actually manage to go right up to the main doors and peer through the glass to see the front desk area, could see a lighting rig and a piece of wood with strange patterns on the floor. Unfortunately I tried to take pictures through the glass with little sucess.

Another thing that struck me is that there is a pathway very near to the set that runs from Merantum Way (near the sainsbury's) to Dean City Farm and Morden Hall Park that has featured in so many scenes.
  • Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it's a wrap

http://yfrog.com/mi5r7z
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    For some reason that just made me want to remember producers

Michael Simpson and Pat Sandys - sadly no longer with us.

I even remember the days when it was filmed in Ladbroke Grove. LOL.
  • Options
    daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone know what happens ion the last ep?
  • Options
    LycallesLycalles Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    The Bill was just never the same after the whole revamp, the dark and dinginess of it really puts me off, it's like they're trying to make it a US crime drama and it really doesn't work.

It's so hard to believe I used to sit down and watch the Bill religiously and the changes were so unnecessary, they lost me as a viewer.

I used to like the Adam Okaro, Gina Gold (I hadn't realized she left) days.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The residents of Mitcham and Morden breath a sigh of relief......no more putting up with blocking pavement with "shooting" the Bill.
    shame for the workers in Deer Park Road......no more "Their goes miserable Reg.........or theirs a Z list actor from the Bill!
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    The residents of Mitcham and Morden breath a sigh of relief......no more putting up with blocking pavement with "shooting" the Bill.
    shame for the workers in Deer Park Road......no more "Their goes miserable Reg.........or theirs a Z list actor from the Bill!

Thought it was Windsor Avenue :D

P.S - Merton Abbey Mills just round the corner from The Bill studio is quite picturesque with the waterwheel, sunday market and pub overlooking the river.
  • Options
    FlimboFlimbo Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    At least this means that Geoff McQueen can finally stop turning in his grave.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will miss The Bill, i only started to really get into it in the past few couple of years.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    daclick wrote: »
    does anyone know what happens ion the last ep?
    Not much but...
    The story apparently involves a female ganster and all the cast will be equally involved

And, according to the latest behind the scenes video on the ITV website, the final scene will be as the shift changes. Jack leaves his office and walks through the station, passing all the main characters on the way and then the camera will pan away showing the outside of the station. Also it's rumoured (but this could be crap) that they've digitally remastered the walking feet for the final episode.