Options

Sky Sports now 40% cheaper on Virgin Media than Skys standard pricing.

Comments

• Options
    listerlister Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was Sky I'd do the following;

Drop or reduce the extra cost for HD (I believe it works out around £10.50 a month)

Reduce the line rental from its current £15.40 a month. Fewer people actually want a landline these days. They keep giving me half price line rental anyway.

Reduce the prices of the two Sky Fibre products by £10 a month.

If subscribers have their TV (with sports), Phone and Broadband all with Sky, then provide BT Sport and ESPN channels.

I'd cancel producing sports content in 3D, which would save money, and avoid having those big cameras taking up space in stadiums.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Line rental seems to be a big money spinner. Virgin point out that you don't need a landline for their broadband, but that only saves about £5, not £15.99.
  • Options
    jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Is the Big Kahuna package with Virgin a 12 months or 18 months contract?

I'm thinking of going to Virgin for a year, and then moving back to Sky for a new customer deal.
    Its an 18 month contract. So for months 11-18 you'd pay the full £27m for Sky Sports, rather than - effectively - £15pm.

I almost cancelled by BT Infinity order and signed up to switch everything to Virgin.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    Its an 18 month contract. So for months 11-18 you'd pay the full £27m for Sky Sports, rather than - effectively - £15pm.

I almost cancelled by BT Infinity order and signed up to switch everything to Virgin.

There's nothing to say that the offer won't continue, also, even if the offer ends, Sky Sports still works out cheaper per month over the full 18 months compared to Sky, so you'd still be saving money :)

Edit: Just checked and this says it's only a 12 month contract anyway:

https://my.virginmedia.com/bundles.html
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lister wrote: »
    If I was Sky I'd do the following;

Drop or reduce the extra cost for HD (I believe it works out around £10.50 a month)

Reduce the line rental from its current £15.40 a month. Fewer people actually want a landline these days. They keep giving me half price line rental anyway.

Reduce the prices of the two Sky Fibre products by £10 a month.

If subscribers have their TV (with sports), Phone and Broadband all with Sky, then provide BT Sport and ESPN channels.

I'd cancel producing sports content in 3D, which would save money, and avoid having those big cameras taking up space in stadiums.

BIB And how do you expect them to do that?
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is how I understand the offer:

If you are on one of VM's 'big bundle' packages you can buy a sky sports 'football season ticket' for a one off card payment of £150.

This will give you 10 months access to Sky Sports 1-5 and F1 in SD. The 10 months will start from the day you sign up and you have until the end of August to do so.

Once the 10 months has finished you'll revert to their standard monthly price however you can cancel at any time and only pay for the days you've had it.

To get all of the content in HD you have to pay an additional £7 a month.

Some people were getting confused about an original offer literature that talked about getting '2 channels in HD'. This was just referencing the fact that until very recently only Sky Sports 1 & 2 were available in HD. This now not the case.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've just announced that the deal is being extended to their own employees and those on mates rates.
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Thats my point.
    Hardly anyone is interested in it. It costs way to much to produce content in, for little or no viewers.
    Its no wonder SO many broadcasters around the world have abandoned it. Broadcasters refusing to produce major events in 3D, because of the lack of interest and massive costs involved for little viewing.
    But some will not hear this and beat that tired old drum to the point of breakage...

i would be interested in it,but not interested enough to switch to sky and end up paying effectively more for less for it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    But Virgin Media doesn't offer Premier League Matches in 3D, Sky does.

no one cares about 3D, it's a dying format
  • Options
    jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: Just checked and this says it's only a 12 month contract anyway:

https://my.virginmedia.com/bundles.html
    If you go through to the order page as a new customer it states its an 18 month contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    If you go through to the order page as a new customer it states its an 18 month contract.

Maybe it's 12 months for existing customers to upgrade and 18 months for brand new customers :confused:

Anybody know for sure?
  • Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see a company offering 10 month offer- effectively admitting that a vast number of subscribers cancel sports over the summer.

How do Sky react to this offer- possibly by freezing prices next year and offering their fibre broadband at a greatly reduced rate (say £5 a month for an unlimited product).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    Interesting to see a company offering 10 month offer- effectively admitting that a vast number of subscribers cancel sports over the summer.

How do Sky react to this offer- possibly by freezing prices next year and offering their fibre broadband at a greatly reduced rate (say £5 a month for an unlimited product).

Whilst I'm sure you're correct in saying that vast numbers of people cancel sports over the summer, I don't think that this is a worry for Virgin Media.

The wholesale cost of buying Sky Sports means that Virgin Media don't make any money out of supplying them. They are only there for the convenience of customers and to improve platform parity.
  • Options
    fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I'm sure you're correct in saying that vast numbers of people cancel sports over the summer, I don't think that this is a worry for Virgin Media.

The wholesale cost of buying Sky Sports means that Virgin Media don't make any money out of supplying them. They are only there for the convenience of customers and to improve platform parity.

Surley Sky will have to do a Season Ticket , surely ?
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »

Back when they had pay per view games, they did a season ticket for that, I think it was £50 for the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »

Most people who want Sky Sports get it from Sky, only about 20% of Virgin Media customers take them.

As they have lost the football rights, it looks like Sky are trying to increase the number of subscribers whilst they can and lock them into a new contract. On their own platform, they are doing a BT Sport reversal and offering free broadband with the sports channels.

I believe that Sky Sports are now more interested in wanting to improve take up and retain existing customers on Virgin Media due to the fear of losing a massive amount of subscribers overall when they lose the football rights to BT Sport.

The season ticket is their weapon on VM, as they can hardly give away VM broadband for free! As I said earlier, VM don't make any money from the provision of Sky Sports, so, if they were to fund the Season Ticket themselves, the cost would be enormous in return for nothing.

This is why I believe that Sky themselves are funding these season tickets and that they won't be made available on Skys own platform.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update:

I aren't on a big bundle, just XL TV. I received a letter today offering me the Sports Season Ticket, so it looks like the offer has been extended further.

This offer ends on the 1st of September.
  • Options
    Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin media have extended this offer to October 31st its now £140 for 9 months which works out at 55p more if you based it on a monthly price

£15pm @ 10 months - £150 - old offer

£15.55pm @ 9 months - £140 - new offer

still a lot cheaper than the current £29.25 pm price
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of the broadband bundle deals are actually cost effective for me (well Virgin Media's might be but their traffic management policy is unacceptable to me so I haven't bothered checking). So, the only thing that matters to me is the cost of Sky Sports HD.

Sky: £62.75pm
    Virgin Media: £47.25pm

The Virgin Media situation is more complicated though because this might be cheaper with their "season pass" thing, plus there's a £50 activation fee, plus £5pm for TIVO, plus there's no Sky Sports 3, 4, or F1 in HD.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    None of the broadband bundle deals are actually cost effective for me (well Virgin Media's might be but their traffic management policy is unacceptable to me so I haven't bothered checking). So, the only thing that matters to me is the cost of Sky Sports HD.

The Virgin Media situation is more complicated though because this might be cheaper with their "season pass" thing, plus there's a £50 activation fee, plus £5pm for TIVO, plus there's no Sky Sports 3, 4, or F1 in HD.

3, 4, 5 & F1 are available in HD on VM now.

http://store.virginmedia.com/digital-tv/channels/sky-sports.html (Around a quarter of the way down)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This offer is not dependant on taking a TiVo box and as Popeye says, all Sky Sports HD channels are on Virgin Media.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Virgin don't have traffic management on downloads now, it's only uploads which are affected.

http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html
  • Options
    ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin don't have traffic management on downloads now, it's only uploads which are affected.

http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html

I noticed this too; if only they'd drop the broadband only price a bit (with offers actually works out cheaper to get line rental, which whilst understandable is still quite frustrating).
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This offer is not dependant on taking a TiVo box and as Popeye says, all Sky Sports HD channels are on Virgin Media.

But TiVo is the only PVR VM provide, if you want the ability to record, as I would assume someone who had Sky+ would, you would have to pay the TiVo fee too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But TiVo is the only PVR VM provide, if you want the ability to record, as I would assume someone who had Sky+ would, you would have to pay the TiVo fee too.

It's correct to say that the only PVR VM now offer new customers is the TiVo. The fee is often waived and becomes part of the inclusive bundle price and not charged for seperately.