WWE Network

Comments

• Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    I wonder, even if the Network is a Sky exlusive with the live stream as a channel on the EPG, could WWE grant Sky subscribers access to the same on demand content as the rest of the world by using their Sky ID to log in to the Network on various platforms?

They need to 100% give the UK full access to the OD content regardless of how it is done. If they go anywhere near Sky's On Demand offering it will be awful. In that e-mail Sky say though that all subscriptions will be paid to WWE Network which I wouldn't think was the case if it was a Sky partnership.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dax 21 wrote: »
    They did say that if the deal. Was right they would put raw and smackdown with it in some markets now if sky get the network and they hold all the rights anyway why wouldn't you
    Raw and smackdown would still be on sky sports too

Some people may subscribe to Sky Sports just for WWE. If Raw and Smackdown were also shown on the Network, those fans may decide to drop Sky Sports and subscribe to the cheaper Network channel. That's not something that Sky would like.
    They need to 100% give the UK full access to the OD content regardless of how it is done. If they go anywhere near Sky's On Demand offering it will be awful. In that e-mail Sky say though that all subscriptions will be paid to WWE Network which I wouldn't think was the case if it was a Sky partnership.

Unless you have to use your Sky viewing card number when signing up to the Network on wwe.com. You would then get access to both the live stream on the EPG and the on demand content in the same way as the rest of the world.
  • seibuseibu Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting analysis of all this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2215601-delay-of-wwe-network-in-uk-underscores-the-importance-of-wwes-tv-rights-deals

For me, the key quote:
    Did the WWE ever intend to launch in the U.K. on October 1? Was the timing just a negotiation tactic in discussions with Sky?

Fun being pawns in WWE's negotiation brinksmanship with Sky, isn't it? That's how much WWE respects UK fans.
    Forum Member
    Some people may subscribe to Sky Sports just for WWE. If Raw and Smackdown were also shown on the Network, those fans may decide to drop Sky Sports and subscribe to the cheaper Network channel. That's not something that Sky would like.

Unless you have to use your Sky viewing card number when signing up to the Network on wwe.com. You would then get access to both the live stream on the EPG and the on demand content in the same way as the rest of the world.

If they do that, then they really are stupid. What about people on Virgin Media who want the network but can't because they've made it Sky exclusive?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they do that, then they really are stupid. What about people on Virgin Media who want the network but can't because they've made it Sky exclusive?

I suppose Sky could then do a deal with Virgin to enable their customers to subscribe, similar to the way Virgin customers can get Sky Sports.
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    I think it's quite possible that WWE were going to launch the standard WWE network in the UK, however given the supposed success of the Canadian version of the network, WWE have went back to Sky and asked them if they would like a similar Rogers deal.

Especially, given the fact that the UK is one of WWE's biggest markets.
  • bruce_appletonbruce_appleton Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might launch on Roku.....here's hoping.....
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    seibu wrote: »
    Is it so crazy that people want to do something legit?

I'm only interested in the Network if I can watch it on my TV. I can only do that through my PS3. But my PS3 can't be DNS bluffed unless I do it at the router level. But I have Virgin Media internet so I can't change DNS settings on the router.

I'd also like to watch the Network on my tablet. But it's an Android tablet so I believe it's got that GPS locking thing preventing the network from streaming on it outside the geographical US.

There may be workarounds for some of this by now. Those workarounds may stop working in future. The very fact I'd have to think about it diminishes the value of the Network for me. You end up always playing catch-up and amateur hacker when they change things. I don't want to pay $9.99 to have more stress in my life.

I want to give WWE a reasonable sum every month and get the full fat full value network, no hassle. But instead they'd rather lie to us, treat the UK as second class customers and in all probability sell out to Sky.

your ps3 you only have to change the DNS manually and your away you don't have to touch your router at all.

I changed my laptop,ps3 and ipad's DNS and that was all, never touched the routers DNS. It is that easy!

Also while my DNS on those devices was changed I was still able to access Sky go and Iplayer services perfectly fine.
    Forum Member
    I think I'll wait and see what happens in the UK launch, but if it's the fairly bad, I'll probably give the US version a shot.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting analysis of all this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2215601-delay-of-wwe-network-in-uk-underscores-the-importance-of-wwes-tv-rights-deals

For me, the key quote:

Fun being pawns in WWE's negotiation brinksmanship with Sky, isn't it? That's how much WWE respects UK fans.

Wow, looking at some of your previous posts you are really upset with WWE aren't you?

For the record I believe we'll get the proper version of the network soon.
  • 123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Loving the network so far had no issues what so ever in the 20 hours that I have had it and 2 hours of programing I have watched this evening.

It will more than suffice until the UK situation is clearer.

Plus it saves me paying box office prices,

I really do wish I signed up a long time ago now,
    I constantly have one of my laptops connected to my TV through a HD lead anyway so that was no issue for me anyway.

The picture quality is outstanding and very smooth.

As said in previous posts I am far from a technology whizz kid but even I was surprised that I managed to actually get the network working.

So anyone thinking about getting it, trust me if you are a fan of professional Wrestling from the 70s to present day, You will not be disappointed by the WWE Networks offering.

I do hope still that the U.K version will be as good as this because I can see it becoming very popular among the U.K Wrestling community,

Lets just hope no other 'Parties' cough cough SKY try to ruin it for U.K fans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JaiJai wrote: »
    Wow, looking at some of your previous posts you are really upset with WWE aren't you?

Erm. Have you seen twitter this evening? :)
  • ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    as one one of the stress testers of the uk version of the network, its a total shambles, from missing content to missing segments and promos, hell the rock vs mankind i quit match is edited to buggery, any chair shot is replaced with a shot of the crowd, so far thats the only show i saw this with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    your ps3 you only have to change the DNS manually and your away you don't have to touch your router at all.

I changed my laptop,ps3 and ipad's DNS and that was all, never touched the routers DNS. It is that easy!

Also while my DNS on those devices was changed I was still able to access Sky go and Iplayer services perfectly fine.

Thank you. That's really useful. I read up on how to do the US version a while back but thought I'd be good and wait. Obviously my patience has not been rewarded!

I'm done with the Network now I think. Maybe way down the line, but I'll wait and see if it's actually gonna survive. The 'fed seem well out of their depth on this one. Still grateful for your help though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as one one of the stress testers of the uk version of the network, its a total shambles, from missing content to missing segments and promos, hell the rock vs mankind i quit match is edited to buggery, any chair shot is replaced with a shot of the crowd, so far thats the only show i saw this with.

Oh wow I've been wanting to talk to one of you guys for ages!

So you think it might actually be unfinished content which is causing the delay? That's weird. Why can't they just mirror the US version? Is there some reason it has to be more censored in the UK?
    Forum Member
    Thank you. That's really useful. I read up on how to do the US version a while back but thought I'd be good and wait. Obviously my patience has not been rewarded!

I'm done with the Network now I think. Maybe way down the line, but I'll wait and see if it's actually gonna survive. The 'fed seem well out of their depth on this one. Still grateful for your help though.

I think the network has to be a success, as going cap in hand to the PPV networks is unlikely to be successful with the viewers or with the deal they would get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there some reason it has to be more censored in the UK?

One possible reason is if the Network launches as a traditional TV channel, WWE may decide to include edited versions of their programming to be shown in the daytime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One possible reason is if the Network launches as a traditional TV channel, WWE may decide to include edited versions of their programming to be shown in the daytime.

Good thinking.

I forgot about the beta UK Network testing though. There were definitely people recruited to that. The invitation emails circulated and everything. The existence of that confirms at one point we were supposed to be getting an internet-based offering of some sort.
  • Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if they are going to launch something that changes depending on the time of day that you view it then I can confidently say that about 8 people will sign up.

Remember that speach heralding the start of the attitude era and Vince said "quite frankly we think you're fed up of having your intelligence insulted".

Now look at them.
  • stuartmckstuartmck Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    It's still showing on the Apple TV website as being available on there & also in the 'In App Purchases' on the App Store.

https://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/whats-on/
    Forum Member
    Good thinking.

I forgot about the beta UK Network testing though. There were definitely people recruited to that. The invitation emails circulated and everything. The existence of that confirms at one point we were supposed to be getting an internet-based offering of some sort.

You know that's a very good point, why would they have beta testers if there wasn't an Internet element to the network? I presume that rules out a full Sky version?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know that's a very good point, why would they have beta testers if there wasn't an Internet element to the network? I presume that rules out a full Sky version?

Another question is why bother with beta testers if the UK was getting the standard version? In that case, there wouldn't be any need to test it as the network is already up and running and all they would have to do is to remove the geo block on launch day.

One possibility could be that we will still be getting on demand content, but it won't be the same as the international version (like Netflix has a separate UK version). The fact that a 6 month subscription price is shown in pounds and not dollars on the wwe app on the app store could suggest such a scenario.
    Forum Member
    Another question is why bother with beta testers if the UK was getting the standard version? In that case, there wouldn't be any need to test it as the network is already up and running and all they would have to do is to remove the geo block on launch day.

One possibility could be that we will still be getting on demand content, but it won't be the same as the international version (like Netflix has a separate UK version). The fact that a 6 month subscription price is shown in pounds and not dollars on the wwe app on the app store could suggest such a scenario.

Hmm another good point lol.

I think they are paying a dangerous game over here. They would have been better just launching it as it is everywhere else (except Canada). It's not a problem as I'll decide when it launches if it's worth switching from the U.S. but if I was an first time subscriber and we got Canada service, Id be pissed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm another good point lol.

I think they are paying a dangerous game over here. They would have been better just launching it as it is everywhere else (except Canada). It's not a problem as I'll decide when it launches if it's worth switching from the U.S. but if I was an first time subscriber and we got Canada service, Id be pissed.

WWE have handled this very badly. If there were problems with the UK launch, they should not have left it this late to inform everyone of the delay.
  • Dax 21Dax 21 Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stuartmck wrote: »
    It's still showing on the Apple TV website as being available on there & also in the 'In App Purchases' on the App Store.

https://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/whats-on/

That's been there since February