Charlie Brooker's 2014 Wipe - Tuesday 30 December 10:00pm BBC2

Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a heads-up that 'Charlie Brooker's 2014 Wipe' is on on Tuesday 30th December at 10-11pm on BBC2.
The 2014 special “will look back on a relentlessly grim year where the cheeriest stories were people throwing ice over themselves, couples consciously uncoupling and an installation of poppies celebrating the untimely death of millions of young men,” according to production company Endemol

I can only see one showing in the listings, so make sure you set your recorders if you're likely to miss it.

Also, there is to be a new six-part series of his 'Weekly Wipe' starting in January 2015 although I can't yet find what day & time this is due to air.

Comments

• BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that.:-) I like Charlie Brooker, his thoughts about much of what's on offer on tv are bang-on.
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look forward to this show every year, its just so well done, highlight of the year.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    Can't wait for it - it's always so spot-on and razor sharp.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,128
    Forum Member
    Since he got married and had a kid, he seems to have lost his bite a bit
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since he got married and had a kid, he seems to have lost his bite a bit

I think that's a little co-incidental.

A couple of years ago he admitted that he's met a few of the people he's been vitriolic about, and realised they're actually decent people.

I miss old Charlie, the old Screenwipes are TV Gold, even now. But it's entirely understandable.
  • Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to BUMP this one for tonight.

Looking forward to this, Charlie helps me to rationalise my own thoughts as to why TV and media often appears to me to be utter sh*te. I know some people don't like his acerbic style, but he helps cut through the "loveliness" of what we're being fed.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I'll be watching, always look forward to Charlie's acerbic review of the year.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I be watching as his shows are the TV version of Twitter.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's hoping the first half hour isn't recycled clips of Weekly Wipe which is what happened last year. Considering he only does 5 of those and the 6th one is a 'highlights retrospective' (I guess for those with short term memory loss), it would be taking the piss if tonight wasn't all new material.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »

A couple of years ago he admitted that he's met a few of the people he's been vitriolic about, and realised they're actually decent people.

I miss old Charlie, the old Screenwipes are TV Gold, even now. But it's entirely understandable.
    Any names forthcoming were there?

I always look forward to this show because acerbic it may be, but mostly it is the truth too.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »

That's the way I see it too, he's lost a bit of his edge, but I can understand why.

I'll still probably watch though
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Just a heads-up that 'Charlie Brooker's 2014 Wipe' is on on Tuesday 30th December at 10-11pm on BBC2.

I can only see one showing in the listings, so make sure you set your recorders if you're likely to miss it.

Also, there is to be a new six-part series of his 'Weekly Wipe' starting in January 2015 although I can't yet find what day & time this is due to air.

There's a repeat on sat night at 22.45.

I hope I can stay up for this tonight, back to work tomorrow:cry:
  • welshblobwelshblob Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be on iPlayer so I wouldn't worry too much about missing it. Unless you don't have access to iPlayer of course.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he`s presenting this from inside a tent pissing out - Would be an apt metaphor for how he`s lost his edge.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    I be watching as his shows are the TV version of Twitter.

That's an endorsement? :o

:D
    Forum Member
    Vas has nicked his job! :D
    Forum Member
    "in America black people can be anything they want to be: President or shot."

I laughed!
    Forum Member
    "....and crawling, which he probably learnt from you."

:D
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first clip of Sky News weird behaviour just then. I'm expecting to see Kay Burley's excitement at a voting fraud scandal in Glasgow during the Scottish referendum to also be shown.
    Forum Member
    Can we make a New Years resolution never to play the "Happy song" ever again?
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    The Joffrey it's OK to like.
    Forum Member
    "I don't vote for noffin"

What, not even for better education?
    Forum Member
    Blimey, the leaders of political parties are a bunch of freaks :D.
    Forum Member
    UKIP = "Guffing out gas like a gas-guffing garrison!"
    Forum Member
    Does Farage ever get fed up of apologising for the actions of his party?