F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• mjrmjr Posts: 2,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    racefreak wrote: »
    The cars aren't that fast but the TV camera's made them look very fast this race.
    Yes that was genuinely impressive, and they seem to have done a good job with the sound too.
    F1 can already learn some things from the FE tv coverage, like using those cool wallmounted shots (F1 sometimes has camera positions like that but then only use it once or twice in the whole weekend) and live uncensored team radio.

...and no crappy CGI adverts, that I've noticed anyway :cool: Also no wall-to-wall adverts looking like a closing-down sale like in F1.

| SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND |

(Banners like this are very tiresome in F1, and project totally the wrong image IMO)
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    mjr wrote: »
    Yes that was genuinely impressive, and they seem to have done a good job with the sound too.

...and no crappy CGI adverts, that I've noticed anyway :cool: Also no wall-to-wall adverts looking like a closing-down sale like in F1.

| SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND | SAME BRAND |

(Banners like this are very tiresome in F1, and project totally the wrong image IMO)
    Uncensored team radio, which would mean repeated swearing prime-time on TV roughly every 3 weeks a year? Are you mad? Ofcom would have a field day in the UK, and the FCC would in the US. Seriously, that's not the sort of image F1 needs to project. Also, the rows of banner adverts are designed so that you can vary where the shot starts and ends, knowing that at some point, at least one of the banners will be in shot. Simple as that. It means you're not restricted to the exact same path each time you show the shot, so in theory it should allow for more variety in the shots in terms of where you start, finish & what angle you use...
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bernie propaganda dog out in force again.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    He must be boring even himself now.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'OMG ... I heard a Bad Word mummy'

God forbid we ever hear what real life is like for the teams and drivers.
    Screw your nanny state censorship..

It's like the BBC delaying their live coverage of the twin hostage drama 60 seconds on Friday just in case there was something disturbing is being shown.

Pfft.

PS. FoxSports does not censor or even apologise for in car comms.
    The FCC has bigger fish to fry... Like taking bribes from telecoms companies that want a 2 tier internet.

Jp
    Forum Member
    Jonpollak wrote: »
    'OMG ... I heard a Bad Word mummy'

God forbid we ever hear what real life is like for the teams and drivers.
    Screw your nanny state censorship..

It's like the BBC delaying their live coverage of the twin hostage drama 60 seconds on Friday just in case there was something disturbing is being shown.

Pfft.

PS. FoxSports does not censor or even apologise for in car comms.
    The FCC has bigger fish to fry... Like taking bribes from telecoms companies that want a 2 tier internet.

Jp
    I'm surprised they do that given America's even worse usually. One slip of nipple and suddenly the whole country goes ape-shit. Though from what i've read, the regulations are less stringent for pay channels. I personally have no qualms with uncensored team radio being shown live as i'm an adult, but sadly as a broadcaster, the BBC do worry about such things, what with the possibility of fines, bad reputation etc.

Also saying "Oh shit" every now and then is fine, but to quote Sebastian Vettel: "****ing ******! What the **** are we doing here? We are working to win the world championship for **** sake!".. is gratuitous. The only way we'd ever have live team radio transmissions (ignoring the fact that almost every single team would veto it anyway), is if it was a streaming service that was behind a paywall which required over 18 user-verification.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And...Your experience of America is what?
    Believing what you've heard?
    A holiday in Orlando?

Your dreaded nip slip was totally planned..it's called marketing.
    Both artists and CBS were in on it.
    Jp
  • mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    Also saying "Oh shit" every now and then is fine, but to quote Sebastian Vettel: "****ing ******! What the **** are we doing here? We are working to win the world championship for **** sake!".. is gratuitous. The only way we'd ever have live team radio transmissions (ignoring the fact that almost every single team would veto it anyway), is if it was a streaming service that was behind a paywall which required over 18 user-verification.

Or alternatively we could have them if drivers were banned from swearing on team radio (in any language) (and had fines or grid penalties if they did).
    Forum Member
    And...Your experience of America is what?
    Believing what you've heard?
    A holiday in Orlando?

Your dreaded nip slip was totally planned..it's called marketing.
    Both artists and CBS were in on it.
    Jp
    I don't see how they could have marketed on it? It was hardly likely to happen again, and what person goes: "Oooh Janet Jackson's nipple showed 12 months ago on the superbowl, i'll watch it this year, because it's certain to happen again!" Weird.
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And at that point you realise just how far this 13 year old thread has fallen. Remember the good times eh JP ;)
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how they could have marketed on it? It was hardly likely to happen again, and what person goes: "Oooh Janet Jackson's nipple showed 12 months ago on the superbowl, i'll watch it this year, because it's certain to happen again!" Weird.

And yet all these years later the Superbowl is still spoken about in a country where it's of little relevance (I say that as a fan!). Must have done something to raise awareness...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ToneXIR wrote: »
    And at that point you realise just how far this 13 year old thread has fallen. Remember the good times eh JP ;)

It's fine.. As Chris Economaki said, "let 'em all go". We've had these types before and we'll have them again.
    I see my 'clarifications' as a public service.
    Think of it as a Russell Brand effect on the thread. God knows we need alternative voices.
    But I DO remember the good times and boy, they were sweet.

Jp
  • VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Is this what we really want to be talking about?

Let's just look forward to the car launches in a couple of weeks rather than some attention seeking 'singer'...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry darling..
    I was just responding to my old pal ToneXIR

Oh and welcome to the bored.
    Jp
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjr wrote: »
    Also no wall-to-wall adverts looking like a closing-down sale like in F1.

They did a bit of research into this, and found that focussing on one brand at a time actually makes it more memorable. Other sports like football are moving towards this approach where the electronic ad-boards show one sponsor's advert on all the boards around the pitch.

Monaco is the only GP that doesn't use this method, and to be fair, I'm struggling to think who the sponsor's were.
    Forum Member
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    They did a bit of research into this, and found that focussing on one brand at a time actually makes it more memorable. Other sports like football are moving towards this approach where the electronic ad-boards show one sponsor's advert on all the boards around the pitch.

Monaco is the only GP that doesn't use this method, and to be fair, I'm struggling to think who the sponsor's were.
    Betclic & Martini are some I believe. Basically the advertising for all other rounds is done by AllSport, whereas Monaco isn't, hence why the ads are more varied there. But yeah, you're right, because the sponsors for the other rounds: Santander, Rolex, Eni/Agip, UBS, DHL etc. are more memorable than the other two, in terms of event sponsorship. remember, advertising is not about blending in or not standing out, that defeats the whole point of advertising... you're meant to go for maximum exposure.
  • VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry darling..
    I was just responding to my old pal ToneXIR

Oh and welcome to the bored.
    Jp
    To be honest it was mainly aimed at FOM Fan. Your posts have added a but of much needed humour.

Ok darling ;-)
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be for security reasons - given that it'd be shared coverage with BBC World News and so easily available in France - as much as it would be for worries about content.

French TV, Sky News were both doing similar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VDUBster wrote: »
    To be honest it was mainly aimed at FOM Fan. Your posts have added a but of much needed humour.

Ok darling ;-)

Sorry for getting my wires crossed there darling.
    I don't mind being the but of much needed humour.
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    That would be for security reasons - given that it'd be shared coverage with BBC World News and so easily available in France - as much as it would be for worries about content.

French TV, Sky News were both doing similar.

hmmm..I wonder jeff.
    I was watching a combination of AFP, France2, France24 and Euronews, they all were live with no delay (Al Jazeera had a few seconds but not much) CNN and RT had about 5 seconds, BBC had 60 !!

Jp
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm..I wonder jeff.
    I was watching a combination of AFP, France2, France24 and Euronews, they all were live with no delay (Al Jazeera had a few seconds but not much) CNN and RT had about 5 seconds, BBC had 60 !!
    Ah, well, dangers of relying on second / third hand information. ;-)

I was rather busy not too far away from one of those events without access to the broadcasts at the time.

Heres just one example of why UK broadcasters end up being so cautious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol...Jeffers that page 404'ed

In other news
    OMFG... :o
    This make me want to go to Daytona.

Jp
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol...Jeffers that page 404'ed
    Ha - thats brilliant. The URL contained the word in question, so the DS filter turned it to ****, broke the link! Try this article, the first article I linked is at the top of that page!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh for fcuk's sake..

Jp
  • Guv'norGuv'nor Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way we'd ever have live team radio transmissions (ignoring the fact that almost every single team would veto it anyway), is if it was a streaming service that was behind a paywall which required over 18 user-verification.

Worked fine via Bernievision up to and including 2002.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    I don't really mind there been no live team radio on the world-feed as the delayed transmissions at least give time to get the graphic up which gives commentators a warning & time to shut up.

I do however think there should be live team radio on the app, website, pits channel & OnBoard-Mix (From the car currently been shown as was the case on F1D+).

Going back & watching F1D+ stuff & more recently Formula E one of the problems with live team radio is that since commentators get no warning they often end up talking over the start of transmissions & in some cases where we only get a short snippet of radio we end up missing what was said completely.
This discussion has been closed.