Options

Steve's depression storyline in Corrie

Comments

• Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a woman in 2015 why is Liz so ignorant? 1 in 3 people will get a mental illness and depression is the illness that most people go and see their doctor for. I am having a hard time understanding that anyone would think like this in this day & age, especially for a woman who has traveled, extroverted and does the one job where she is at the centre of a community. Do you think it's the writing?
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could argue it's realistic that Liz isn't able to understand Steve's condition.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I think many people share Liz's views. I'm glad Corrie is highlighting this.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I think many people share Liz's views. I'm glad Corrie is highlighting this.

Liz had driven me mad about her lack of understanding and empathy but reading about other posters experiences and knowing someone who suffers from depression it has highlighted how dismissive some peoples reactions can be, not dismissive in an intentionally cruel way but just due to a lack of awareness.

I am pleased Corrie are highlighting this too and I think its been a positive way of helping others understand and has opened it up for discussion on here which can only help with the awareness.

The main thing I dislike about this SL is Michelle's involvement but that's down to my utter dislike of the character.:p
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could argue it's realistic that Liz isn't able to understand Steve's condition.

I know someone who is too thick to understand how depression affects people. Liz is probably just the same.
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    Liz had driven me mad about her lack of understanding and empathy but reading about other posters experiences and knowing someone who suffers from depression it has highlighted how dismissive some peoples reactions can be, not dismissive in an intentionally cruel way but just due to a lack of awareness.

I am pleased Corrie are highlighting this too and I think its been a positive way of helping others understand and has opened it up for discussion on here which can only help with the awareness.

The main thing I dislike about this SL is Michelle's involvement but that's down to my utter dislike of the character.:p

Liz and Michelle are at odds about how to deal with Steve's depression. Of course
    Michelle is probably going to be Steve's saviour. ;-) While I'm glad Corrie have given Michelle something more to do than bully and snipe, I'm not entirely sure the new gentle and caring Michelle is convincing enough. Methinks in reality she'd still be behind the bar moaning to everyone about Steve.

And what about Eva? She was absolutely horrible about Steve.
  • Options
    CorstemmeeCorstemmee Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More like 6 weeks before any real benefit and only if you are taking one that works for you out of the many ones available.

Yes, indeed.

In fact, it's quite common for people to feel worse after starting medication, especially if it's not helping them or they're not feeling any benefit.

It can make people feel even more despairing, as it can seem they are never going to improve.

This is especially problematic when it takes months or years of trial and error on different medications and doses.

Also, the family of the sufferer often have a tendency to think 'oh good, they're on pills, so they'll be better soon.'
    When it doesn't happen, the sufferer can feel like they're letting their family down, being a burden.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    IWasBored wrote: »
    For a woman in 2015 why is Liz so ignorant? 1 in 3 people will get a mental illness and depression is the illness that most people go and see their doctor for. I am having a hard time understanding that anyone would think like this in this day & age, especially for a woman who has traveled, extroverted and does the one job where she is at the centre of a community. Do you think it's the writing?

Oh I don't know. As i've said in an earlier post, i've personally come across quite a few people that just don't have a clue, varying in age and usually quite intelligent and educated so you'd think they'd know better. I do think it can be a difficult thing to truly understand until you've been through it yourself. Despite growing up with it in the family and not doubting for a minute that my mother (and then brother) were genuine and being sympathetic i have to confess i didn't truly understand until I got it myself and discovered how all consuming it is.

Liz may be middle aged and have been around and be 'good' with people in a 'mine hostess' capacity but i don't think she is especially bright and certainly not educated. She might believe in the diagnosis, that depression exists but she is a nit of a know it all and ultimately believes that she knows Steve best, knows how to 'deal with him' and it can't be that serious as he's never been 'like this before, I know my son'. I also suspect that deep down she has a suspicion that he is in some way 'putting it on' to get out of work or the mess he's in.

There are people that believe the best way to deal with any stress, anxiety or 'feeling a bit down' is to just keep on keeping on. Work hard, mix with people and it'll take your mind off it. Of course, often it is the worst thing, especially if you're job involves having to mix with and 'entertain' loads of people which for me is about the most stressful thing I can imagine having to do when in the midst of an episode - despite having worked as a barmaid in the past and being quite good at it. I can't even cope with social situations with dear friends. No wonder Steve freaked out at the thought of working a shift in the bar.

That's the other thing ' whilst Liz knows the diagnosis, she probably doesn't really understand that it is much more than 'feeling a bit down' which of course everybody is from time to time and generally deal with without having a full breakdown. Again, i suspect, she has an attitude of "other people cope, including me, so why can't Steve".
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, I do think it is.

It'd be interesting to know how Callard feels playing it given her own history of depression. I imagine she'll have come across it herself and be hoping this will raise awareness in friends and family of those with depression as to what NOT to do so help in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Corstemmee wrote: »
    Yes, indeed.

In fact, it's quite common for people to feel worse after starting medication, especially if it's not helping them or they're not feeling any benefit.

It can make people feel even more despairing, as it can seem they are never going to improve.

This is especially problematic when it takes months or years of trial and error on different medications and doses.

Also, the family of the sufferer often have a tendency to think 'oh good, they're on pills, so they'll be better soon.'
    When it doesn't happen, the sufferer can feel like they're letting their family down, being a burden.

Oh yes I do know all about how long it can take, especially if not on the right meds for you. When i said 3 weeks i was meaning for even a tiny bit of improvement and that is assuming everything is going well. Kind of a best case scenario.

I well know the hopeless feeling of not beginning to feel any better and what it is still putting family through.

I do think this is part of Liz's problem. She has assumed the tablets are like over the counter painkillers which work within an hour or so or at worst anti biotics which take a few days. She thinks, he's taken the tablets, he should be okay now. If he's not, he must be prevaricating - using it as an excuse not to work. "I know my Steve".
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did Liz herself not suffer from depression years ago? (after losing a baby?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to seeing how Lloyd reacts when he returns.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »

Liz or the poor actress that plays Liz?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Do you mean when when Katie dies and she had ahysterectomy? I don't remember much about the storyline but yes i Thin she was depressed and resentful but i would say that was reactive depression (ie you can identify something that has happened in your life that was horrible and made you feel bad) so wouldn't help her understand clinical depression.

In fact it would be more likely to make her have the attitude of "i lost my baby girl, had the chance of having any more babies taken away from me, i felt down but i had to get on with it - why can't Steve. He hasn't lost a baby has he. I've coped with much worse. Just need to get back out there".
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liz or the poor actress that plays Liz?
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Do you mean when when Katie dies and she had ahysterectomy? I don't remember much about the storyline but yes i Thin she was depressed and resentful but i would say that was reactive depression (ie you can identify something that has happened in your life that was horrible and made you feel bad) so wouldn't help her understand clinical depression.

In fact it would be more likely to make her have the attitude of "i lost my baby girl, had the chance of having any more babies taken away from me, i felt down but i had to get on with it - why can't Steve. He hasn't lost a baby has he. I've coped with much worse. Just need to get back out there".

The actress.
    Yes, that was reactive depression and that can never entirely leave the mind.
    Steve's could be partly reactive from the appalling domestic mental abuse he has suffered from both mother and girlfriend, from the "loss" of father and of twin, and of Max whom he and Becky had hoped to adopt etc etc.
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    As far as I'm concerned there's no excuse for Liz's behaviour!! As a mother she would know all of Steve's little nuances & this is so vastly different to anything that's gone before she couldn't possibly put it down to his customary immature or workshy behaviour!! It's so obviously a serious mental problem!! Even rhino skinned Michelle has cottoned onto it & started treating him with understanding, even Tony is berating her for going too far!! Liz is & always has been a self centred harridan & I'm so glad she's not my mother!!
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Say what you like about Liz but she always understands what Michelle is going through and always has time to give her a big hug! ;-)
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Oh I don't know. As i've said in an earlier post, i've personally come across quite a few people that just don't have a clue, varying in age and usually quite intelligent and educated so you'd think they'd know better. I do think it can be a difficult thing to truly understand until you've been through it yourself. Despite growing up with it in the family and not doubting for a minute that my mother (and then brother) were genuine and being sympathetic i have to confess i didn't truly understand until I got it myself and discovered how all consuming it is.

Liz may be middle aged and have been around and be 'good' with people in a 'mine hostess' capacity but i don't think she is especially bright and certainly not educated. She might believe in the diagnosis, that depression exists but she is a nit of a know it all and ultimately believes that she knows Steve best, knows how to 'deal with him' and it can't be that serious as he's never been 'like this before, I know my son'. I also suspect that deep down she has a suspicion that he is in some way 'putting it on' to get out of work or the mess he's in.

There are people that believe the best way to deal with any stress, anxiety or 'feeling a bit down' is to just keep on keeping on. Work hard, mix with people and it'll take your mind off it. Of course, often it is the worst thing, especially if you're job involves having to mix with and 'entertain' loads of people which for me is about the most stressful thing I can imagine having to do when in the midst of an episode - despite having worked as a barmaid in the past and being quite good at it. I can't even cope with social situations with dear friends. No wonder Steve freaked out at the thought of working a shift in the bar.

That's the other thing ' whilst Liz knows the diagnosis, she probably doesn't really understand that it is much more than 'feeling a bit down' which of course everybody is from time to time and generally deal with without having a full breakdown. Again, i suspect, she has an attitude of "other people cope, including me, so why can't Steve".

I think you're right. No one understands unless they've gone through depression themselves. It's like a black tunnel from which you cannot escape.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    I think Liz is a very shallow character.

She's more concerned about her hair and make-up than her son's depression.

I can't wait for her to find out about Tony and Tracey but I shall have to mute the telly. That dreadful voice will break the sound barrier. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought Steve's explanation of trying to pretend to be like how he used to be was well-written.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve appearing to look jolly while playing darts but later indicating that he was effectively empty inside was spot on. Superficial outward appearance can be so misleading to the inner reality and turmoil really going on.

Really surprised this thread regarding Steve's storyline is not getting far more attention from posters on here.
  • Options
    MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made a thread earlier, not realising that there already was one. Anyway, the storyline is winding me up. I am sick of how they're behaving around him, like he's some sort of invalid. I've been in various institutions and had depression for 25 years, and I have struggled through, mostly minus any help due to no funding in the area. The idea that you should be treated like a sickly child is making me want to kick things. I mean, I don't expect life to have been as punishing as mine, but the idea that people would react like this isn't helpful at all, and might make people feel totally unloved and not considered when the fact is, life DOES have to continue.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Steve's explanation of trying to pretend to be like how he used to be was well-written.

Yeah, those lines were obviously written by someone who's been through that themselves, or it's from people they've talked to when researching the s/l, cause it was spot on.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, those lines were obviously written by someone who's been through that themselves, or it's from people they've talked to when researching the s/l, cause it was spot on.
    ....and Lloyd's part was clearly written by someone who has NOT been through anything like it ever, and is unsympathetic to the illness even existing in the first place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member

I thought so too. I also liked that Michelle pointed out to Lloyd that Steve helped him when he had his heart attack. It's difficult for some people to comprehend mental illness simply because it's not physically visible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Steve appearing to look jolly while playing darts but later indicating that he was effectively empty inside was spot on. Superficial outward appearance can be so misleading to the inner reality and turmoil really going on.

Really surprised this thread regarding Steve's storyline is not getting far more attention from posters on here.

BIB: I agree. Steve wanting to be happy and like his old self is heart-breaking. He's even tried to joke about his depression.