Now 90

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Some people - such as myself - like to buy music on HQ CD instead of a crappy bit download.

You can get HQ downloads too.
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetums wrote: »
    You can get HQ downloads too.

You can. I do, yet Im one of the thousands of NOW collectors who've been purchasing a copy of each NOW TWICM CD since the late 1980s.
    It's just nice to have a hard copy of music as a back-up and a near complete collection of vgc NOW CDs could be worth a small fortune in a few years. Call it 'an investment'. ;-)
  • nic6nic6 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people - such as myself - like to buy music on HQ CD instead of a crappy bit download.

Quite correct. ;-)
    MP3 is compressed to bits and crap, WAV format is the high quality standard put onto music CDs.
  • MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see Karen Harding's Say Something make an appearance. Brilliant dance/house track that frankly deserved to do better in the charts. Future classic.
  • lewismacflewismacf Posts: 14,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me its the best now album in ages
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I bought it today, and it's one of the weakest in a while IMO. Even worse than Now 87 last year, which was also pretty weak.

It contains around 8 genuine hits (Mark Ronson, Ed Sheeran, Olly Murs etc), and the rest is generally low selling crap which will be forgotten in 3 months time. The trouble is the charts are so slow moving these days the turnaround just isn't there. Perhaps they should go back to just releasing 2 a year instead of 3. :confused:

I'd quite like them to do a compilation which contains all the songs which get a lot of radio play but don't necessarily sell. i.e. everything that Radio 2 play. I love going back to old compilations and hearing songs that I haven't heard in years. These days, so many great songs are just going to get forgotten because in the age of the download hits just aren't being made. It's sad :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought it today, and it's one of the weakest in a while IMO. Even worse than Now 87 last year, which was also pretty weak.

It contains around 8 genuine hits (Mark Ronson, Ed Sheeran, Olly Murs etc), and the rest is generally low selling crap which will be forgotten in 3 months time. The trouble is the charts are so slow moving these days the turnaround just isn't there. Perhaps they should go back to just releasing 2 a year instead of 3. :confused:

I'd quite like them to do a compilation which contains all the songs which get a lot of radio play but don't necessarily sell. i.e. everything that Radio 2 play. I love going back to old compilations and hearing songs that I haven't heard in years. These days, so many great songs are just going to get forgotten because in the age of the download hits just aren't being made. It's sad :(

There are some great, "genuine" songs on there ("Hold My Hand", "Heartbeat Song", "Say Something" and "Go All Night" to name but a few). I personally cannot stand Uptown Funk (find it horrendously overrated and over-played), nor can I stand anything by the awful Meghan Trainor or untalented Cheryl. But apart from that it is a good album and, imo, far from the weakest...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Taylor Swift or her label has refused the rights to her singles. It is a very disappointing decision and ridiculous to fans if she has, as was her removal of music on Spotify. If she had kept her back catalogue on Spotify, she would have undoubtedly had her first UK #1 with Shake It Off, and Blank Space could have even done the same. I noticed that Style, imo one of her best, has peaked at #21 in the singles charts and looks set to fall, which is a shame.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MK184 wrote: »
    Looks like Taylor Swift or her label has refused the rights to her singles. It is a very disappointing decision and ridiculous to fans if she has, as was her removal of music on Spotify. If she had kept her back catalogue on Spotify, she would have undoubtedly had her first UK #1 with Shake It Off, and Blank Space could have even done the same. I noticed that Style, imo one of her best, has peaked at #21 in the singles charts and looks set to fall, which is a shame.

Yet is sitting at 12 on iTunes. Streaming is really affecting her chart positions in the UK. Shake It off would probably have been number 1 and Blank Space pretty close
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Taylor didn't take her stuff off Spotify until after Shake it Off had peaked so that won't have affected her position. I had it on my Spotify playlist for a few weeks before it was removed.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    The covers do need a bit of kick up the Now ar$e! They have kept a similar template since Now 56 with the exception of Now 59 and Now 86 which were both Christmas releases.

Although the winner is the actual Now logo itself which has been with us since Now 20 way back in 1991.

I'd like to see a variation of the old 80s style covers like now 3 and 4, for example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet is sitting at 12 on iTunes. Streaming is really affecting her chart positions in the UK. Shake It off would probably have been number 1 and Blank Space pretty close

It's a shame iTunes chart positions aren't an actual reflection of where the song will peak. It really is a disappointment that in the UK singles chart, Style hasn't even made the top 20. It is currently at #31...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taylor didn't take her stuff off Spotify until after Shake it Off had peaked so that won't have affected her position. I had it on my Spotify playlist for a few weeks before it was removed.

She removed her songs late September, and at that point Shake It Off was at #4 in the singles chart, having remained in the same position since late August. In mid-October, following Taylor's X Factor performance, Shake It Off climbed and peaked at #2, behind All About that Bass (imo, Shake It Off was the more deserving winner, especially as All About that Bass had already been #1 for three weeks).
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    MK184 wrote: »
    She removed her songs late September, and at that point Shake It Off was at #4 in the singles chart, having remained in the same position since late August. In mid-October, following Taylor's X Factor performance, Shake It Off climbed and peaked at #2, behind All About that Bass (imo, Shake It Off was the more deserving winner, especially as All About that Bass had already been #1 for three weeks).

I don't think Shake It Off was ever destined to be #1 against the powerhouse song that was All About That Bass.

However, I reckon had Blank Space been on Spotify it would've given Thinking Out Loud a run for its money the week Ed Sheeran returned to #1 in the UK. Possibly even denying Take That's These Days from getting to #1 the previous week too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    I don't think Shake It Off was ever destined to be #1 against the powerhouse song that was All About That Bass.

However, I reckon had Blank Space been on Spotify it would've given Thinking Out Loud a run for its money the week Ed Sheeran returned to #1 in the UK. Possibly even denying Take That's These Days from getting to #1 the previous week too.

I just cannot bare All About That Bass! So annoying and overhyped! How it got to number one for 4 weeks is, imo, an absolute joke given the much more deserving competition but obviously a lot of people like it and that is fair enough. I just think it is a shame that somebody as talented as Taylor has never had a UK #1 single.