Irish Television in General 2015

Comments

• irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never expected UTV Ireland to be amazing but I find it a bigger flop than I thought.
    They are being judged very harsh IMO - TV3 has been cack since they started and they were around even during the boom.

I think they should be given a few years to sort themselves out.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UTV got all the stuff no-one beyond Emmerdale and Corrie fans really wants. The complete
    absence of sport bar a cage fight of some sort has probably hit them harder than was expected.
  • Paul_CullotyPaul_Culloty Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without any sport last week, RTE Two and TV3 both performed fairly dismally. Interestingly, current affairs seems to be the commercial station's only winner, with Vincent Browne taking the top two spots, followed by a Germanwings doc and a People's Debate.
  • chinamugchinamug Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Without any sport last week, RTE Two and TV3 both performed fairly dismally. Interestingly, current affairs seems to be the commercial station's only winner, with Vincent Browne taking the top two spots, followed by a Germanwings doc and a People's Debate.

The problem here of course is that TV3 is a Commercial Station. It's been 3 and a half months since they lost the soaps and nothing new has worked for them. Ratings appear to be down about 40% for the main channel (far more in prime time) Another few months of this and they're likely to be either laying off people or they'll be closing. Doughty Hanson appear to be desperate to sell but there doesn't seem to be anyone interested.

RTE Two won't have a great year because there's no Big Sporting event on this Summer
    However, their Market share will creep up because of the GAA. No doubt there will be another relaunch at some point over the next 18 months. If RTE Two was a commercial Station it would be in even bigger trouble than TV3 (and that's saying something!) As there is a lot more money going into their programmes with not that many viewers in return.

With the exception of RTE 1, Irish TV is in a very unhealthy State. The only other station that reaches RTE1 figures is UTV Ireland and that's with the UK soaps. UTV Ireland were never going to be big into commissioning Irish Shows. Plus they Plan to lose 8 million this year alone on viewing figures that will be roughly the same as RTE 2 and TV3. None of the three stations make sense commercially unless you've millions and millions in reserve.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will be interesting to see the BGT ratings when the ratings to Sunday are released, but with the Independent again reporting on takeover bids, it's hard to see what media group could get any ROI, given the small size of the Irish TV market.
    Forum Member
    Will be interesting to see the BGT ratings when the ratings to Sunday are released, but with the Independent again reporting on takeover bids, it's hard to see what media group could get any ROI, given the small size of the Irish TV market.

There have been a lot of leaks from TV3 about takeover bids over the last few weeks but none appear to be true. You can take reports in the independent with a pinch of salt. Half the facts were incorrect or they were not comparing like for like. The independent has it's own agenda when it comes to the media in Ireland. Indeed I wouldn't trust any of the other items from that paper or organization.

TV3 would need to get at least 250,000 +15 Adults to consider Britain's Got talent a success. This time last year, they were getting about 190,000 but UTV also had 100,000 viewers on average. There would be some leakage, but anything above 250,000 can be spun as a success story. Anything lower and they're in real trouble And of course that's on the single Saturday night showing, Advertisers are smart enough not to go by TV3 math where they manage to get 793,000 by counting 3 shows together and that's reach, the real figure is actually around 500,000 (Keith Barry's Show, You're back in the room) By TV3 Logic, the Late Late Show has 23 or 24 million viewers!

What's worrying for them is that there doesn't appear to be any press release about how great the figures were just yet.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    chinamug wrote: »
    Well I do know that people in Wexford use it, and in the Border Counties it can be as easy to get the signal as an Irish one. However, in the old days you'd work to find a solution if your signal was weak. Now you can just put up a dish with less of the hassle, so I'm presuming that the 10% have a reliable signal. There might be another 20% out there that could get it with some effort but why bother?

As I said before, it's probably quite common in hotels down that part. I was staying in Rosslare some years ago after coming off the ferry and the TV had BBC Wales. It only had about 9 channels so they must have been getting what I assume was a Freeview Lite signal from somewhere in South Wales. I don't remember if they had any Irish channels at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, the US venture capitalist Carlyle Group is reportedly in talks to buy TV3 now. The market is crying out for proper competition, but it seems the prospective new owners know more about politics than broadcasting!

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/usbased-carlyle-has-broadcaster-tv3-in-frame-for-takeover-31149181.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Carlyle_Group
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My main gripe with TV3 has always been their reliance on whatever tripe ITV peddles, I personally consider it the most low brow and trashy network in the UK yes worse than Channel 5. Now ITVs awfulness is being shared between TV3 and UTV Ireland so it's meant two dreadful channels.

I remember liking the few Aussie series they used to air on TV3 a few years back Underbelly, Satisfaction, it was a bit of a change from the usual ITV crap. Also with the arrival of Lifetime and TLC I spend no time on TV3's "junk TV" because they just do it better if I need to kill my brain cells.:D

As for home produced programming even RTE suck at that when it comes to entertainment so I'm cool with just current affairs and documentaries as home produced with the odd drama thrown in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, you're the Controller of a fading public-service channel, and you're in search of an instant market-share boost, so what's your solution? Obviously, you repeat Friends right from series one, because people are desperate to see them for the 901st time on terrestrial TV, let alone Comedy Central!
    Interesting to note that it appears RTÉ will be showing Friends in its entirety in HD... One of the first times I have seen older programming rebroadcast in HD on RTÉ.
  • Rocket QueenRocket Queen Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I pop in this thread to say hello to irishreen x
  • sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably better if you'd done it via PM? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha how ya keeping?? :p
  • Rocket QueenRocket Queen Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sat-ire wrote: »
    Probably better if you'd done it via PM? :rolleyes:
    Sorry:)
    Forum Member
    Pat Kenny's new show will go out at 9 on Monday Nights on UTV Ireland.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/pat-kenny-in-the-round-to-broadcast-on-monday-nights-on-utv-ireland-31185231.html

It will be interesting to see if he makes any impact on figures. I would presume that he will do relatively well and the audience from the 8.30 episode of Coronation Street may hang around. It's the one big advantage that UTV Ireland have if they ever decide to run the station properly. They have the soaps and can launch Shows directly after them and promote shows during ad breaks. However I doubt you'll see much innovation from UTV Ireland until 2016 if at all.
  • ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinamug wrote: »
    Pat Kenny's new show will go out at 9 on Monday Nights on UTV Ireland.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/pat-kenny-in-the-round-to-broadcast-on-monday-nights-on-utv-ireland-31185231.html

It will be interesting to see if he makes any impact on figures. I would presume that he will do relatively well and the audience from the 8.30 episode of Coronation Street may hang around. It's the one big advantage that UTV Ireland have if they ever decide to run the station properly. They have the soaps and can launch Shows directly after them and promote shows during ad breaks. However I doubt you'll see much innovation from UTV Ireland until 2016 if at all.

a new chat show from pat kenny won't bring me to utv ireland

UTV Ireland is not watched in my house at all as I have freesat for some of the new ITV content and live sport
    Forum Member
    ftakeith wrote: »
    a new chat show from pat kenny won't bring me to utv ireland

UTV Ireland is not watched in my house at all as I have freesat for some of the new ITV content and live sport

UTV Ireland certainly have tripped up much like TV3 by not being available in HD on Soarview. There are a good few Soap watchers and BGT viewers in the office with me and they all watch on UTV Ulster HD or ITV HD on Freesat. Bizarrely UTV Ireland are now easily the second most watched Irish TV channel in primetime but that's only because of the soaps. Figures for TV3, RTE2 and UTV Ireland are ridiculously low at this stage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another reason to not watch UTV, Pat Kenny won't bring in a truckload of viewers he isn't that special. I guess he may maintain a hunk of the Corrie audience but I doubt he'll bring anyone new.

I see TV3 have Big Brother this year which to be honest I'm amazed its taken them this long to get from Channel 5.
    Forum Member
    Another reason to not watch UTV, Pat Kenny won't bring in a truckload of viewers he isn't that special. I guess he may maintain a hunk of the Corrie audience but I doubt he'll bring anyone new.

I see TV3 have Big Brother this year which to be honest I'm amazed its taken them this long to get from Channel 5.

He might bring in some viewers, but I don't think he's the ratings winner UTV Ireland thought they were getting. Very much taking something from the past when it's gone well past it's sell by date.

But if we're to be fair the same could be said for Big Brother. It rates well for Channel 5 but generally I don't see it doing too well in the Irish Market. If it was a ratings winner TV3 would have bought it ages ago. It's more a sign of desperation as they appear to lack material to show and their ratings have collapsed since the soaps left.
  • theeddiemundotheeddiemundo Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Judging by how ratings have quickly fallen for RTE2, TV3 and UTV Ireland over the past few months, it looks like it's going to be a long tough summer for them.

Bringing in Big Brother will fill up the prime time schedule for TV3 and 3e for nearly 4 months. Whether it's a success is another thing. The Celebrity version will probably do better in August.
    I'll be interested in the BGT live finals week which normally run from 7.30-9, and results at 9.30. Will TV3 go with Red Rock at 9pm Wed & Thu - up against Corrie and News? I think they should go for it - could have a great lead in for the soap, which it badly needs.

GAA is RTE2's only hope for big ratings this summer. For UTV Ireland, Pat Kenny is only 5 shows long until Autumn - and won't have much of an effect on the rest of the channels.
    Forum Member
    Judging by how ratings have quickly fallen for RTE2, TV3 and UTV Ireland over the past few months, it looks like it's going to be a long tough summer for them.

Bringing in Big Brother will fill up the prime time schedule for TV3 and 3e for nearly 4 months. Whether it's a success is another thing. The Celebrity version will probably do better in August.
    I'll be interested in the BGT live finals week which normally run from 7.30-9, and results at 9.30. Will TV3 go with Red Rock at 9pm Wed & Thu - up against Corrie and News? I think they should go for it - could have a great lead in for the soap, which it badly needs.

GAA is RTE2's only hope for big ratings this summer. For UTV Ireland, Pat Kenny is only 5 shows long until Autumn - and won't have much of an effect on the rest of the channels.

Well if TV3 use Big Brother as they use other programmes they'll get 6 or 8 hours out of every two that are broadcast. If the Celebrities appeal to an Irish Audience it might do well but that's very much a throw of the dice. I can't really see the show doing well but it can't do any worse rating wise than what's airing at the moment. (with one or two exceptions)

I don't think they should put Red Rock up against Coronation Street. The Street will always win. Red Rock has a very small (but loyal) audience. If I were TV3 I'd move it to Saturday Night right after BGT and give the soap some exposure. Have some sort of Catch up episode so people know what's going on. A big problem is that many watched the first week and never returned because no one knows it's on. There's no reason for most people to tune in to TV3 now the Soaps have gone. BGT is their one shot at this until the Autumn.

As for the other 2. RTE2 will continue along without change because it doesn't need to. UTV Ireland appears to be happy to lose Millions for at least 2 years if not longer.

The tragic thing here is that some of TV3's new shows have been decent, but almost no one is watching because of terrible, terrible scheduling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am the Red Rock viewer who watched for a week and then that was it. I don't watch the ITV soaps and watch Eastenders on BBC religiously and occasionally if I can't find anything watch Fair City.

I agree about scheduling, the only show I've gotten into from a lead in is the Without a Trace repeats they show after Vinny, missed that show the first time around and its pretty good :)
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have UTV Ireland stopped showing Paul O Grady.
  • theeddiemundotheeddiemundo Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Have UTV Ireland stopped showing Paul O Grady.

Did they even start showing it? Any of the tv guides I've looked at don't have him on it. Maybe it was a late change previously, but an episode of The Chase appeared in their Top 20 recently, so they'd prob rather keep it on.