Options

Stargate Universe *and* Lost - No sound

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's happened before but never two programs in a week - recorded them both off Sky1 HD and went to watch them and have zero sound on both - anyone else have the same?

Comments

• Options
    hard_to_beathard_to_beat Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turn the box on standby and then turn it on again. If that doesn't work, unplug at the mains then wait 30secs and plug in again, wait for box to 'warm-up' before turning on. It seems to be a software problem, typical Sky.
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i recorded league of their own last night.same thing happened.
    i unplugged and tested it again and it was fine.
    its annoying though.seems to be a HD channel thing too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    It's happened before but never two programs in a week - recorded them both off Sky1 HD and went to watch them and have zero sound on both - anyone else have the same?

Same with me on True Blood last night. I got round it by putting the recording into pause and then restarting, but it repeated each time I fast forwarded past the ads. Also had terrible lip synch problems throughout which varied from 1-4 secs., and which I could only cure by stopping playback completely going to a live channel and then restarting the recording. Hope this doesn't keep up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've sky plussed both of the repeat recordings so i'll see what happens - last time it happened the repeats seemed to play fine.
  • Options
    mdmamdma Posts: 20,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    happened to me on yesterdays coach trip which i recorded from c4hd.
  • Options
    mdmamdma Posts: 20,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *will my post now appear*
  • Options
    stuartmckstuartmck Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Happened to me a few times this week - both when watching a recording & when pausing live TV. Any idea if it's the box or the software? Worth ringing Sky?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    More than likely its the s/w on the box loads of people are having playback problems
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    My Fiancee discovered that when the sound on a recording disappears. You hold down the play button (this slows down the playback speed, very strange) then press pause then play, the sound comes back every time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info. You can do a planer rebuild as well but it wont fix any recordings you have but will help with any you will record but it only works for about a week. I have a sky engineer coming out on Tuesday so I shale see what he says but hopefully the new s/w will be downloaded to my box soon as i a keen to see if this sorts the problem out as others have reported.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argh!!! This has happened to me tonight, no sound on recordings of CSI:NY(Channel5) and Heroes(BBCHD). Can't seem to get the sound back, tried rebooting and all the other stuff mentioned :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it happened to me again on Doctor Who, so i thought 'ah stuff it" and tried to watch Damages and found it had happened on that as well.

I rebooted the box and it did work - sound came back.

Well, on Doctor Who at least !

Be interesting to try the slowdown trick though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried another reboot, tried the slowdown thing, still no sound. Looks like i'll have to phone sky in the morning :mad:
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scofo76 wrote: »
    Argh!!! This has happened to me tonight, no sound on recordings of CSI:NY(Channel5) and Heroes(BBCHD). Can't seem to get the sound back, tried rebooting and all the other stuff mentioned :mad:

The reboot won't help existing recordings bu it should mean that future ones record OK.
  • Options
    HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... hold down the play button (this slows down the playback speed, very strange)

It's not "strange" ... it's the slow motion feature !

IIRC that has been the way to access slo-mo since the launch of Sky+ (back in 2001 ?)
  • Options
    in_focusin_focus Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I t would be interesting to know which make & models are affected.

My Amstard DRX780 has lost sound on a film (Fahrenheit 451) I recorded on ITVHD a couple of weeks ago. It did work OK but now there is no sound untill you pause then unpause and the audio is several seconds behind as other posters have mentioned:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what makes it stranger for me is that i actually manually switch my box off at the plug most nights - so it's pretty much rebooted every day.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has happened a couple of times this week on our Pace - but by pressing rewind during the playback to put into reverse, then play again after a few seconds the sound was there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    It's not "strange" ... it's the slow motion feature !

IIRC that has been the way to access slo-mo since the launch of Sky+ (back in 2001 ?)

You learn something new every day!

Sorry to hear it's not working for everyone though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Me to, Damages recorded without sound.

Bit of a coincidence that lots of people seeing this all of a sudden don't you think?
  • Options
    MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just for the record, my Thomson (Satcure PSU & upgraded WD 1Tb HDD) recorded Lost fine (that will be the kiss of death, the rest of the season will fail now!). I try to power cycle my HD box every two weeks or so to help keep it stable, I also do a planner rebuild from time to time as well.

Anyone have any clues as to why some users have muted sound?
  • Options
    TGITCTGITC Posts: 2,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same thing the other day with Americas Next Top Model... I have a samsung box...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianrich wrote: »

Bit of a coincidence that lots of people seeing this all of a sudden don't you think?

Yeah it is strange this is happening to a few people all of a sudden.

Just for the record i've got a samsung box.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianrich wrote: »

Obviously more than a coincidence but not a transmission fault. Assuming you mean the BBC HD transmission of Damages.

We recorded this last Thursday on our Samsung and it recorded perfectly.
  • Options
    hard_to_beathard_to_beat Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's obviously Sky and their p***poor software updates, would be nice to inform us though.