Options

What was the best era of Casualty and The Bill?

allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
Forum Member
I think Casualty was at its peak between 1996 and 2001 (Series 11-15) and The Bill at its peak from 1988 to 1998 with some excellent half-hour episodes. But what's your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about Casualty but I loved The Bill 2002-2005
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think The Bill 2002-2005 was too sensationalist - 2002 was good nevertheless though. But I still think the half-hour era was fantastic, even after Burnside left. I enjoy watching some of the half-hour episodes of YouTube.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh at the time a lot of people didn't like what PM did to the show, but I found the episodes 2008 onwards a tad boring because I liked it when they showed the officers' private lives.

Mickey Webb was an amazing to come out of the era
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fair point. I think 2002 was the best year of PM's tenure with a good mix of police plots and soapy storylines. But the half-hour episodes were wonderfully crafted and I found myself not needing to know about the officers' private lives because the crime stories were so interesting. And yes, Mickey Webb was a great character during his era with the male rape storyline I think. But PM went OTT with the two station explosions. At least the 2007/08 storylines made a return to strictly police procedural storylines.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Casualty when Holly/Patrick/Lara were around. I loved the storyline with Holly's stalker and Patrick's death was so sad. I also liked Collette's daughter turning up who she adopted and Collette's affair with Simon. When Simon and Lara left the show, I started losing interest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked The Bill around the time Cassie was in it. At least I think that was her name. :o She was kidnapped for a while and was found dead if I remember rightly.

Casualty was really good from the late 90s-2007. It's still quite good now, but not the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The show really declined after Series 15 when Holly and several other characters left. Series 16 was decent but had a lot of soapy storylines which I didn't like. Series 15 was a very good series, but I think the last truly brilliant series was Series 12 when Charlie and Baz got married.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved when Lara Stone was in Casualty. She was fantastic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Casualty's not the same now TBH. It lacks good patient storylines and big emergencies and even the soapy storylines are boring. At least in the 1996-2001 period, you had Charlie/Baz, Tina/Sean/Chloe, Holly's stalker, Louis being born as well as emergencies like the shopping centre explosion and the motorway pile-up, in Series 12.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KieranDS wrote: »
    I loved when Lara Stone was in Casualty. She was fantastic.

Yeah Series 16 and 17 when Lara was in it was quite good. Lara was an excellent character. I think after Series 17 when they changed the exterior set of the hospital, that the show changed beyond all recognition. But the show was declining for a few years before that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gmc93 wrote: »
    I liked The Bill around the time Cassie was in it. At least I think that was her name. :o She was kidnapped for a while and was found dead if I remember rightly.

Casualty was really good from the late 90s-2007. It's still quite good now, but not the same.

Yeah the serial killer storyline with Cass Rickman was excellent. But after that, The Bill just resorted to lazy soapy plots unfortunately, with gimmicks such as the 20th Anniversary Live Episode, such gimmicks that the writers didn't need in the brilliant half-hour era.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I think the best era of Casualty was series 4 to 8 (1989 to 1993). Series 9 to 12 were also very good (1994 to 1998), barring series 10 which concentrated a bit too much on soapy romantic storylines between the staff. Series 13, 14 and 15 were pretty good, although you could see the cracks starting to show. I thought series 16-21 were dreadful - far too soapy - and series 22 started very well but went downhill after a few months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh Lara was amazing in Casualty! That was when I first started watching it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    I think the best era of Casualty was series 4 to 8 (1989 to 1993). Series 9 to 12 were also very good (1994 to 1998), barring series 10 which concentrated a bit too much on soapy romantic storylines between the staff. Series 13, 14 and 15 were pretty good, although you could see the cracks starting to show. I thought series 16-21 were dreadful - far too soapy - and series 22 started very well but went downhill after a few months.

You're absolutely right. I think though that Series 11 and 12 were absolutely fantastic, with some outstanding episodes including Josh's family dying in a fire, the motorway pile-up, the shopping centre explosion, Tina's rape, Jude's stabbing and Charlie/Baz wedding. Though series 13/14/15 were largely good, they started to introduce soapier storylines and they lacked the magic of Series 12.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard about Tina's rape being a brilliant storyline over the years - who was the rapist?
  • Options
    Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Casualty was at its peak between 1996 and 2001 (Series 11-15) and The Bill at its peak from 1988 to 1998 with some excellent half-hour episodes. But what's your opinion?

I think the best era of The Bill was 1988 to 1999. Burnside started as a regular in 1988. Some of the best episodes were in 1998 and 1999.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gwen_PYC wrote: »
    I think the best era of The Bill was 1988 to 1999. Burnside started as a regular in 1988. Some of the best episodes were in 1998 and 1999.

I don't think so. Some of its best episodes were in the early 90's when DC Martella was killed, and in 1995 when DS Jo Morgan was killed. The 1998/99 episodes were very good though but I preferred the simplicity of the half-hour era.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I've heard about Tina's rape being a brilliant storyline over the years - who was the rapist?

The rapist was the husband of a patient I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the half hour episodes but really got hooked on The Bill in the 1998-2000 period. Those episodes had just the right balance of crime stories and personal stories to make you care about the characters. The PM era was too soapy/sensationalist (although I did love Mickey Webb during that era) and the show never fully recovered.
  • Options
    MikaRimmerMikaRimmer Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best series of Casualty was when it started off with the 2-parter train crash and introduced Tess, Abs, etc. That was my favourite series, don't watch it anymore unfortunatly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    For me, The Bill was at its best during when Burnside and Roach were the CID and the uniformed division was 'run' by Sgts Cryer, Penny & Peters. It was still good during Don Beech. Then it went downhill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    unpretty wrote: »
    I enjoyed the half hour episodes but really got hooked on The Bill in the 1998-2000 period. Those episodes had just the right balance of crime stories and personal stories to make you care about the characters. The PM era was too soapy/sensationalist (although I did love Mickey Webb during that era) and the show never fully recovered.

You are absolutely right. The 1998-2000 period got the correct balance of crime storylines and the private lives of the officers. There were some excellent episodes, but I simply preferred the half-hour episodes because they focused on crime and, such was the quality of the writing that the characters' personality was shown through the way they investigated crimes so they didn't need to divulge too much into the private lives of the officers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MikaRimmer wrote: »
    I think the best series of Casualty was when it started off with the 2-parter train crash and introduced Tess, Abs, etc. That was my favourite series, don't watch it anymore unfortunatly

That series was Series 18 which started in September 2003.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For me, The Bill was at its best during when Burnside and Roach were the CID and the uniformed division was 'run' by Sgts Cryer, Penny & Peters. It was still good during Don Beech. Then it went downhill.

Indeed it was great during the mentioned period - I enjoyed Sgt. Penny coping with the aftermath of his shooting. I watched a few 1997 episodes of The Bill like "Over the Fence" and the three-parter with Rik Mayall, "Humpty Dumpty". And despite the loss of Burnside and Roach, I found the half-hour episodes extremely enjoyable, even if ratings were dropping towards 1997 and 1998. Though, I have to say that the half-hour episodes were dull as dishwater in 1998, really quite bad, and a revamp was desperately needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »

Yeah, things changed in Series 16 because ratings had dropped 2-3 million between Series 14 and 15. Series 14 was averaging 11 million, while Series 15 was averaging only 8/9 million.