Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked this but I thought it was very gentle and soppy.

Anyone think the ending was quite evocative of the (much superior) "Queen of Sheba" episode of the Royle family?

I think the accusations re: attitudes towards disability have obviously affected Gervais.

I didnt think Derek had a learning disability btw (although I can understand why people would).

This has been a totally Marmite show
  • shuddupfluffyshuddupfluffy Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought there were a few laughs, but on the whole it made me feel uncomfortable. It wasn't patronising, but I felt that the whole pitying documentary style just fuels the 'lesser people in society' opinion of some people.

I think most of all it made me feel uneasy that my son, who has a learning disability and is very naive, probably only has this type of job and situation ahead of him in a society that doesn't see his true worth, and I really don't want to think about that at this point in time.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if adults (say with learning disabilities) needing complex care and are therefore institutionalised (perhaps because they have no one else who could care for them are just dumped in with the standard elderly population in a retirement home as depicted in this programme, I'd genuinely like to know.

It might be an awful example of cost cutting within the Cameron regime that Gervais has picked up on, or it might be just plain unrealistic, I'm just naive enough to want to know.

As for the programme itself I wondered how crude it was going to be, but I ended up warming to the character and empathising with the situation, life is a standard shade of grey in institutionalised life and I liked how they depicted that merely going out to buy lottery tickets had somehow become an event of "day out" proportions as a highlight in the humdrum existence. I hoped also the nasty pub scene wasn't realistic, that someone like Derek would in fact be made to feel welcome by more reasonable people in most pubs.

Not a bad programme, I think it could work as a short series, I thought it was the first episode of a series at first, because one-offs like that are actually a one-off.

I'm Aspergers so I could relate to its themes of being excluded from a social circle, being patronised and being made to feel like a laughing stock.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imnothere wrote: »
    yes, people who can't understand the concept of a 'comedy DRAMA', something it has been marketed as at every possible step.

I thought it was great

I must have missed the 'comedy' moment, and the 'drama' passed me by as well.
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Ricky was on Radio 1 earlier. There is a series they have filmed. He is putting the pilot out to see if people like it.

Shouldn't that be the other way round? See if people like the pilot; if they do consider making a series?
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once you've seen one Gervais episode, you've seen them all. Guy only knows 1 form of 'comedy'.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I thought it was surprisingly good.

My only two problems with it were that a) it was billed as a comedy (if it was meant to be funny it mostly failed) and b) Gervais isn't a great actor. He's got away with it before in previous projects because of the nature of the characters but I think this time it did require a bit more from him. It doesn't help that he's so well known.

I actually thought it would have been fantastic if someone else was playing Derek - I did think it was a bit of a miscast in that respect.

On the plus side the script was very well observed, warm and appeared to have genuine heart, and for that reason I do think I'd like to see more.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen it i thought it was alright. Not particularly a comedy but more of a drama than anything else to be honest.

I do think they should change the title of the programme to Hannah. Even though Gervais is the star, she is the standout throughout the episode and i liked her character more than Derek. She's the best thing in it i think and they make a good double act, Derek would be a great foil for Hannah and the scene in the bar was classic! That made me laugh.

One thing it definetely wasn't was offensive. Anyone who says otherwise has completely misjudged the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree - it was a drama but good enough to extractr a few tears and a hint of meloncholy into the evening. Some good aspbergic jokes for those who work with such kids, like me!! Nice one
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't Gervais write good parts for women though??
  • vrooomvrooom Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hoped also the nasty pub scene wasn't realistic, that someone like Derek would in fact be made to feel welcome by more reasonable people in most pubs.

Well considering that reported instances of public verbal and physical abuse of the disabled is on the increase, I suspect that this scene was realistic.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/young-disabled-stay-silent-over-hate-crimes-7282146.html

I liked the show, but could have done with a little less of the mugging to camera (which is Gervais's modus operandi).
  • CaseyKleinCaseyKlein Posts: 3,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wasnt offended by the show, just felt awkward watching ricky trying to do proper acting. he is just not a good actor, even the emotional bit when hes crying and talking about his old pal dying he was putting so much effort into the crying he forgot that the character has an underbite, oops ricky, you may be a brilliant writer and observer of human nature, but you aint an actor mate.
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was alright .
  • PsychedelicMonkPsychedelicMonk Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It annoys me how Ricky always has to make himself the main character, when Karl is obviously funnier. It was the same on The Ricky Gervais Show. Karl basically made that show what it is.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just watched it after seeing the comments on here. I really liked it. I laughed a few times - like when he knocked on Joan's door and then realised he didn't need to - that's typical Gervais comedy and it works. I loved Hannah and I thought she was very likeable straight away.
    I loved the hamster on the piano bit - that's in my head now! I've also always thought Ricky was great at crying scenes (like in Derek) since watching the end of Extras when he's in the Big Brother house.
  • sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm I'm not sure about it so far? I've only laughed once and feel maybe there are some cheap gags being pulled? Sitting in custard, falling in a pond......not reallly original comedy.

The falling in the pond thing was word for word the story of his mum falling in the pond at her house. He used to ring her up on the XFM show and she would tell him of for swearing and the like. This was before she passed away.

He had her tell the story about falling in the pond and stripping off because of leeches.
  • JeliteJelite Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was alright but would have prefered it as a straight drama.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    bellabella wrote: »
    I agree - it was a drama but good enough to extractr a few tears and a hint of meloncholy into the evening. Some good aspbergic jokes for those who work with such kids, like me!! Nice one

Would it have had that effect without the music though?
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ricky Gervais is too well known to play parts like this. It's impossible to divorce his real persona from that of the character - someone else should have played Derek. All in all, this is the kind of thing Chris Lilley does well because he's more of a chameleon, but Gervais should have just written it and got someone else to play the central role.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaseyKlein wrote: »
    wasnt offended by the show, just felt awkward watching ricky trying to do proper acting. he is just not a good actor, even the emotional bit when hes crying and talking about his old pal dying he was putting so much effort into the crying he forgot that the character has an underbite, oops ricky, you may be a brilliant writer and observer of human nature, but you aint an actor mate.

I disagree, I forgot he was Gervaise and saw him as Derek, sign of a good actor.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it.

Very touching in places and a few smiles raised on the comedy front. I thiught Gervais was very good in it and Derek was a believable character.

Not sure whether the negativity is about people expecting a gag a minute sitcom and finding a more dramatic show or just the usual Gervaise dislike but for what it was I thought it was very good.
  • fogfog Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think some people on here seem to think that this show 'Derek' is supposed to be a comedy sitcom.
    it was and always has been billed as a comedy drama. meaning that you can both find something amusing in it as well as it also being a touching dramatisation...in this case of a care home.

think this confusion is maybe why it has created some negative feedback on here. a bit like when you take a mouthfull of what you expect to be coffee and it turns out to be tea.

i for one thought it was great and the half hour felt more like 5 minutes. which is a good sign.

also the jaw thing that ricky is doing is bang on. i've met a character just like Derek who does just that sort of facial tick. also if people think that the character is supposed to be mentally disabled they've completely missunderstood. he's just a quirky, kind, simple man.
  • Season 74Season 74 Posts: 7,032
    Forum Member
    For all the pre-broadcast criticism of the depiction of Derek, I have to say I don't see the problem with it. Any disabilities Derek may have are not played for comic effect. What is necessary though in Derek, is the fact he is a simple, uncomplicated character. Intelligence usually bring complications, so the reason Derek is played as simple isn't for him to be laughed at, it is so everything he does can be seen as genuine. There is no ego hear, no irony. We are meant to fill something for Derek, and I for one did.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's obvious that some on here who either have an irrational hatred of Gervais, or had massive preconceptions about Derek, were never going to do a volte face.

But it's fair to say the same people are struggling to give any proper criticism
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved The Office and thought Extras was one of the best comedys from the last 10 years or so. I also really liked Lifes too short, but I was a little dissapointed with Derek. I WAS expecting one or two more laughs, and think he could have put them in without taking away the other more touching aspects of it. Still, if a series is done I will watch it as I am a Ricky fan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just didnt 'get it'. Not for me.

It would have helped if they had a different actor, as all I could see was Ricky Gervais pulling a silly face ..