Options

Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy 2 - E4

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Good article about it here

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/noel-fielding/31474/noel-fieldings-luxury-comedy-making-series-2-more-accessible

I'm going to give it a try. I really hated the first one, as many people seemed to do!, even though I like Noel as a comedian.

I've seen a few clips of the new series which have been enough to make me want to give it a go, so we'll see.

Comments

• Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seeing the trailer was enough for me to give it a miss. There's thin line between surreal and self indulgent crap.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,552
    Forum Member
    Looks bloody awful. I even mute the trailer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noel Fielding has a good personality for TV and ad-libbing, but isn't great at writing comedy (in my opinion). For example, I really didn't like The Mighty Boosh (although, I realise I'm not exactly in the majority there) but I did like the filmed, live version which I thought was much funnier. He's better when he's interacting with real people rather than submerged in (as said above) self indulgent crap, and he's okay at performing other people's comedy. But his own shows haven't been particularly great.

Same with Mitchell and Webb (although the earlier series of That Mitchell and Webb Look had some funny sketches).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^_^ (why is there no straight-faced smilie on here?)
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    LadySponge wrote: »
    Noel Fielding has a good personality for TV and ad-libbing, but isn't great at writing comedy (in my opinion). For example, I really didn't like The Mighty Boosh (although, I realise I'm not exactly in the majority there) but I did like the filmed, live version which I thought was much funnier. He's better when he's interacting with real people rather than submerged in (as said above) self indulgent crap, and he's okay at performing other people's comedy. But his own shows haven't been particularly great.

Same with Mitchell and Webb (although the earlier series of That Mitchell and Webb Look had some funny sketches).

Have to agree with these points, He was funny in the IT crowd as a part written with him in mind but not written by him

And when he is on Buzzcocks he is funny but now and then takes a random joke too far....And that is what his show is, Funny short one off jokes stretched too much (In my opinion)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Family Guy cutaway comes to mind when watching this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q6TRVXG4kQE#t=14
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not liking this at all
  • Options
    GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I quite liked it. I like the first series more, although that took a while to grow on me-or rather, it took a while for me to adjust to what it was and "get" it. I haven't quite "got" the "fresh spin" on this series yet. There was more structure and storyline, but barely, and I did miss the speed and energy of S2. But at least there were less hit-or-miss OTT surreal sketches.

I did love all of the "breaking the 4th wall" gags, notably the "yeah well you can't sacrifice me, 'cos I'm your brother in real life and mum will kill you" :D

The "what, we got a second series?!?" lines were neat. There's a self-fulfilling-prophecy to these things, however. See Cleveland Show, The.

Tony Reason was great, as ever. I'm glad that he wasn't sacrificed. It would have been quite funny to see Roy Circles melt when he went in the volcano, but they've done that gag in S1 when the whole show burnt down.

I did not like Paul Panther at all. I found myself angry that he was an internet sensation when he wasn't funny or talented, but that may well have been the point. I didn't like his breasts either, although accept that he was a visually challenging beast, which to some extent alone validates his existence. I'm glad that he's dead. His fellow cast members, Tony Curtis and Curtis Tony, the transparently-a-puppet puppet's, were quite funny, though, especially when they realised how easy it was to escape jail.

I do like the new Hawaiian mix of the theme tune, but miss the end of the show theme tune a bit.

I miss Fantasy Man!
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Just seeing the trailer was enough for me to give it a miss. There's thin line between surreal and self indulgent crap.

Indeed, and that thin line is Julian Barrett.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't do it it. I know you're supposed to give comedy shows an episode or two to find their feet but I couldn't - i lasted about 15 minutes with this and had to turn it off.

The Paul Panther "bit" was unfortunately the point of no return.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Paul Foot in this at any point? He seems to be carried by NF so much that I fully expect Noel`s had a man-sized baby-sling custom-made just for that purpose.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I watched one or two episodes of the first series and it didn't grab me.

And it's not that I don't like surreal comedy. Vic & Bob seem to just have a laugh and be silly but Fielding tries too hard to be out there.
  • Options
    MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching this now. There were some moments in series one I laughed at, but mostly I found it lacking in humour, and this is from someone who loved the boosh and anything else noel was involved in, well, to a point, because it seems that after a while his comedic formula becomes obvious and stops being quite so amusing.

Anyway, I didn't laugh once. I almost feel it shouldn't be billed a comedy, as more just a surreal collection of moments, but...it's not surreal enough to be entertaining, and my god, I wish he'd stop employing his brother, he really is rubbish. He got booked to dj one of my venues a few years back which he used to do under the moniker of 'Boosh dj's' which inevitably led to disappointment. He was rubbish, utterly rubbish, I mean, I have a mate who dj's from Game of Thrones and he's not particularly experienced but he's passionate and loves doing it, as opposed to him.

Anyway, yeah, it was rotten.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave it a go, but as soon as he referred to somebody called Mr. Peanut sat over there and it revealed a man with a peanut for his head, I immediately changed channel.
    If that's the level of humour of this then I'm not sticking around.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gatehouse wrote: »

I miss Fantasy Man!

I missed the first episode of series 2. Might watch 00.30 repeat today, don't despair. Fantasy Man wasn't in the first episode of series 1.
    He's my favourite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fantasy Man is back! :D And even better, judging by the clip at the end, he's in next weeks too.

I don't care what the naysayers think, I absolutely loved this weeks episode. Maybe I just have a really strange sense of humour, but I can't help but think that some people just don't want to like it as it's not "cool" to like it. This really isn't any more silly at all than the Boosh was and there were plenty of laugh-out-loud moments for me. And no, I was not high.

Best bits: obviously, the return of Fantasy Man. Steve Oram was at his slightly-creepy enthusiastic-Brummy best (à la earlier scenes of Sightseers) as the shows only viewer. Richard Ayoade's foul-mooded hammerhead shark's rant against tofu and the near-corpsing it prompted from Noel (he was that funny, I just don't think Noel could help himself). Dolly's attempt at speaking "15th Century knight" to Fantasy Man (and her legs). Terry's death. The ant sandwich. And the constant 4th wall moments ("who's writing this rubbish? It can't be me, I've got Fantasy Block...").

What was quite odd was to watch Katherine Parkinson in The Honorable Woman
    followed by this featuring Noel, Dolly and Richard-followed by the IT Crowd episode that Dolly was in alongside Katherine Parkinson, Richard and Noel!
  • Options
    HypnosssHypnosss Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this tonight.......what a load of utter crap.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnosss wrote: »
    Just watched this tonight.......what a load of utter crap.

That`s no way to talk about Noel Fielding`s entire career! Oh, hang on.......It is really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rather like Noel Fielding, I think he is cute. :blush:

I tried to watch the comedy but it is to me, rather like the last days of Monty Python, the script is done for the casts amusement and not really the audiences. Always a mistake.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I still cant fathom out this show. Dd julian barratt decide he wanted no more mighty boosh so noel fielding made his own show?

I loved the mighty boosh (second time round, first time i saw a clip of bob fossil andthought the show was awful and didnt give it another shot for about a year) but luxury comedy is awful.

Its the zany side of the mighty boosh but with no normal side to balance it out.
  • Options
    mds143mds143 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    When I look at Noel I am always reminded of Tommy Cooper.
    Is it just me?
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think he looks like sandie shaw
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Gatehouse wrote: »
    loved this weeks episode. Maybe I just have a really strange sense of humour, but I can't help but think that some people just don't want to like it as it's not "cool" to like it.
    Why would that be a problem for anyone.

Either people enjoy the show or they don't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, you're right, they must all just have rubbish taste and/or senses of humour. But as the show points out, they only have between 1-20 viewers, so I shouldn't be too surprised ;-)

Watching the repeat, I myself don't understand how anyone couldn't enjoy Steve Oram's performance as the uber-fan, for one thing. His closing tune was also ace.

"Chesney Hawkes had Melody Block once. For 23 brutal years.." :D

Noel's visualised Fantasy Block definitely has a bit of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man vibe to him.
  • Options
    mds143mds143 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    mds143 wrote: »
    When I look at Noel I am always reminded of Tommy Cooper.
    Is it just me?
    i think he looks like sandie shaw

Maybe they met up and had a love child!