English people living in Scotland still getting abused daily?

Comments

• k-bolak-bola Posts: 4,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doc Shmok wrote: »
    Yeah but jealousy can also be a justified reaction to egoism .. Only the rich prosper from a docile and complicit underclass.

I am upperclass German btw.. :D This British class war was naively overlooked by me before I resettled for my PhD. :(

I love Germans, England and Germany should be joined as one but Germans shouldn't be allowed to sing their songs together as we don't really have that cultural bond unless at the football but Germany is cool and Germans rock!
  • reishunreishun Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doc Shmok wrote: »
    Yeah but jealousy can also be a justified reaction to egoism .. Only the rich prosper from a docile and complicit underclass.

Rich is just a shortened version of Richard which can also be stated as Dick therefore Rich people are Dicks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    I lived there for 15 years and generally found them to be friendly.

There are horrible people of all nationalities everywhere.

I don't think I went to Nitshill and never wanted to go there either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived there for 15 years and generally found them to be friendly.

There are horrible people of all nationalities everywhere.

I don't think I went to Nitshill and never wanted to go there either.

Really?
    Were you not abused at least a couple of times?
    You must have had to cover up your accent or pretend to be from America or something.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reishun wrote: »
    Rich is just a shortened version of Richard which can also be stated as Dick therefore Rich people are Dicks.

Yeah, but they make the best burgers.
    http://restaurants.uptake.com/blog/files/2009/08/dicks.jpg

(Sorry:o )
  • SharpshooterTomSharpshooterTom Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it's a true story, I worked alongside the guy for almost a year, and he would tell me about one or other of his daughters getting beaten up quite often, he eventually quit his job and moved back over to England because of it,

I would quite often be blamed for any "wrong doings" that the English did when in Ireland,
    The time the English football fans rioted in Dublin, MY fault, (according to some who I worked with)
    The time the English rugby team 'insulted' the Irish president, something to do with standing on her red carpet, MY fault,
    and the night the UK troops went into Iraq,(2003) I had a couple of my 'workmates' SHOUTING across the works canteen at me,
    "I bet you are Fing proud of yourself you English C***"
    this despite the fact they knew I had been on an anti war march in Dublin a few weeks earlier,

:(

My parents were often blamed for a lot of things because they were Irish in the neighbourhood, they were seen as outsiders. My friends would steal my phone and ask if my dad was part of the Ira and mock him in an irish accent etc. Teachers used to say things like "so where have you Flynns parked you're caravan in Ipswich then?" blah blah blah

To be fair, when I was about 12 I used to do the "I'm irish" plastic paddy thing quite a lot, which prompted people to view me as an outsider to Ipswich and ridicule anything irish towards me (even though I had an English one).

Didn't help also that I had friends whose fathers were served in the army and in Northern Ireland. "Is that a paddy I smell in the house then??" How one fathers friend introduced himself to me.

Now I live in Northern Ireland and across the border, I see things differently, I've been called "English b*stard" and the like but I've never been blamed politically here for anything and (I went to school in Omagh) Nobody cares to be honest. And although I don't doubt your experiances, I find it hard to believe it goes on that regularly anymore. Nobody cares about my accent, at uni, at work or wherever.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k-bola wrote: »
    If you are in London you see a melting pot of multiculturalism but in Scotland you see all white with the very occasional black or asian. For me that is very bland and I am not sure how people can live in that environment.

What a load of pish you spout.

Glasgow has a huge Chinese community, a huge population from the subcontinent and a massive student population with people coming from all over the world to study.

Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee also have large student populations with people coming from all over the world to go to our universities and colleges.
    Stop badmouthing it, it's not that bad :o

It's better than Cranhill :p, plus you have Silverburn just up the road.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that that anti-English related shooting thing I read about?
    I think I know all about it now.
    Wow, you knew that guy?
    Now that is an example of why some people should never be released from prison.

NOPE wrong end of stick, she knows, knew, a guy I used to work for, he died in an accident,
    thats all nothing to do with anyone getting shot,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was still living in Germany, an Irish (super cynic) guy (Not NI) gave the English from Sheffield guy who shared the same flat rented from a friend of mine really bad abuse about being colonial. I don't think he was even joking, it was so bitter. :confused: Constant provocation. You colonial arsehole.. etc.. Talking about chip in the shoulder. :D
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    My parents were often blamed for a lot of things because they were Irish in the neighbourhood, they were seen as outsiders. My friends would steal my phone and ask if my dad was part of the Ira and mock him in an irish accent etc. Teachers used to say things like "so where have you Flynns parked you're caravan in Ipswich then?" blah blah blah

To be fair, when I was about 12 I used to do the "I'm irish" plastic paddy thing quite a lot, which prompted people to view me as an outsider to Ipswich and ridicule anything irish towards me (even though I had an English one).

Didn't help also that I had friends whose fathers were served in the army and in Northern Ireland. "Is that a paddy I smell in the house then??" How one fathers friend introduced himself to me.

Now I live in Northern Ireland and across the border, I see things differently, I've been called "English b*stard" and the like but I've never been blamed politically here for anything and (I went to school in Omagh) Nobody cares to be honest. And although I don't doubt your experiances, I find it hard to believe it goes on that regularly anymore. Nobody cares about my accent, at uni, at work or wherever.

Have you ever tried walking into a pub on the Falls Road ?

A tumbleweed moment of the highest order :)
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Had an English friend who also lived and worked in the republic, we initially went over there together and worked at the same place for a while, then I changed jobs,
    HE met an "Irish" girl over there, she had been raised living in Coventry from about 8 only returning to Ireland in her late teens, so she had an Irish name, and an English accent,
    the Irish used to give her 'stick' for being English, and the English gave her "stick" for being Irish,
    poor lass, anyway they got marred and now she lives in England.... with an English name,
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't read the whole thread I admit.

There's a girl I know at Edinbugh uni and she has been virtualy ostracised along with some of the other students not from Scotland this last year. They eventually had to move out of the place they were in because of the treatment they were getting. She's now in a house with all international students from all over the world. So it's not just the English.

It ranged from stealing food, being locked out, being ignored, being abused ect. She was isolated along with a girl from Bulgaria and from china/tailand (not sure which). The sad thing is her Dad is Scottish and he moved away as a young man many years ago and she was very keen to go to a Scottish university to rediscover her "roots".

I'm surprised at that, as Edinburgh University has an extremely large non-Scottish contingent.

There are Scots who are like that; I don't deny it for a minute. But anecdotal evidence can produce many different stories; I remember at work talking to an Asian man living in England, and when he heard my accent he started asking if I was from Glasgow and telling me how much he loves coming up to Glasgow because he finds it such a friendly city.

I can also say a campaign to keep a Malawian woman and her daughter in Glasgow from deportation is getting the support of thousands, mainly Scots. Doesn't quite square with us hating non-Scots really.
  • SharpshooterTomSharpshooterTom Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    Have you ever tried walking into a pub on the Falls Road ?

A tumbleweed moment of the highest order :)

I had a good friend who worked in the Hunting lodge in west belfast, he introduced me to his friends and once they got to know me they were ok with it, I think.:D
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised at that, as Edinburgh University has an extremely large non-Scottish contingent.

There are Scots who are like that; I don't deny it for a minute. But anecdotal evidence can produce many different stories; I remember at work talking to an Asian man living in England, and when he heard my accent he started asking if I was from Glasgow and telling me how much he loves coming up to Glasgow because he finds it such a friendly city.

I can also say a campaign to keep a Malawian woman and her daughter in Glasgow from deportation is getting the support of thousands, mainly Scots. Doesn't quite square with us hating non-Scots really.

I was surprised as well as really had no thoughts or ideas about a problem like this existing. I just posted what had happened to her this last year.

Obviously she might be wrong and it might be for diferent reasons.
    But the fact is she and two other non Scottish students had to move out of shared accomodation because of the treatment. And are now in a house consisting solely of non Scottish students from all over the world. Which is quite odd, when you think about it, in itself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Really?
    Were you not abused at least a couple of times?
    You must have had to cover up your accent or pretend to be from America or something.

Nope

Our son was 5 when we went there and never felt the need to lose his accent. I was convinced he would.

He had/has a load of Scottish mates.

The Scots are very nationalistic about sport and will support anyone but England when they play, which I find to be petty as I support the Scots when they play (apart from playing England obviously):D

There are a lot of English in Edinburgh who goto their unis and work there.

It might be more 'racist' in the neddy areas such as Craigmillar, Muirhouse and Westerhailles or in more rural neddy parts or areas of Glasgow such as Nitshill. Most of the crime I heard about was about gang or drug warfare.

When I moved up to Scotland, England was a horrible place to live. The driving, the stuck up or chavy attitude, the aggression was hideous here.

We thought the Scots were going to be aggressive to us and nervous about moving there but we found the Scots were polite, the roads were nicer to drive on and it was so refreshing to leave England and live somewhere more civilised. I am English and can understand why some Scots get offended by the English and vice versa.

When I hear a Scottish accent now, I immediately talk to them and really bond when I tell them about living there.

TBH I found the Australians were more nasty in Australia than I felt the Scots were being nasty in Scotland.

I love the way they call us 'Whinging Poms' when they can whinge for Australia and Europe!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of them have chips on their shoulders and overly patriotic to make up for the fact they are an extension of England with a silly accent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am Scottish and lived in England ( Nottingham) for ten years where I was lucky enough to meet my lovely husband ( he's from Birmingham)

For the ten years I lived there I was lucky if I made 2 really good friends, apart from my husband of course. And constantly had the pi$$ ripped out of my accent. My own English father takes great pleasure in calling me a jock git and his wife calls us all dour Scots, when I was a child and I used to go visiting him and all his family used to make me feel like there was something wrong with me because I was Scottish!

3 years ago when me and the hub got married ( we came back to Scotland to do it) I was very disappointed to find out some of our English wedding guests, after a few drinks, were in the toilets and sat at tables talking very loudly about how Scots were @rseholes! All comments were ignored by my Scottish friends and family so thankfully no trouble was caused.

In March we all moved back up to Scotland with my 8 year old daughter ( who has a very strong English accent). She has been at her new school for 3 months and my husband has been in his new job for 5 months. My daughter has never been so happy! She has made loads of new friends, never once has anyone said anything about her being English. The same goes for my hubby, he loves his new job. He says everyone is so friendly and laid back , they even had a night out to welcome him up here. When we moved into our house ( we had to stay in a caravan for the 1st 2 weeks) all his workmates offered to help with the move and he had only been there 2 weeks!
    The day I moved out of my house a district nurse who claimed she could not get passed in her car on my road because of my removal van told me to 'go back to Scotland' when I pointed out that all the other cars could get passed no problems.

There are knobs in every country and no where is perfect but I think some of you claiming that England is very welcoming to outsiders but Scotland is not are talking rubbish, it is definately in our experience not as black and white as that.
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm English living in Aberdeen and have not had any problems for years. At first when working at the University one person was rather nasty to me about being English but apart from that not had any problems. Have also lived in remote Aberdeenshire no problems there either fabulous - although rather distant - neighbours! My OH is from Glasgow and he thinks he gets more stick than me with the locals but he works with many nationalities who are all very friendly. His Glaswegian family are all very friendly to me as well.
  • Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All that is really terrible:( Basically no Scottish person in England would ever get that level of abuse in my opinion.
    The sooner Scotland gets independence the better, we already have seperate football teams, legal laws, educational laws and money let's go all the way.

* Little girl shot in face for having a Scottish accent.
    * Beaten up for being Scottish. Squaddie in brick attack.
    * Mother ran out of England for being Scottish. Victim tells how cats were killed and home burned.
    * Women has haggis thrown through windows in anti-Scottish campaign in Rochdale.
    * Race-hate Englishman jailed for anti-Scots abuse.
    * School girls pipe band attacked at English carnival for being Scottish

Some headlines over the last years. Most of these only appear in local English or Scottish-only editions... if ever reported.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of pish you spout.

Yep, don't they just.

I have lived in Edinburgh for the last 22 years after moving up from London. I have never had any problems with being English. Edinburgh and Scotland as a whole thrive on the tourist industry and wouldn't get very far if the majority of people had the attitude that some posters on here believe they have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm English and Scottish, born and raised by the border so I've sort of got a foot in both camps. I've never come across any anti-English feeling in Scotland personally and find Scotland a very warm and welcoming place.

I've often wondered if it is a Southern English/Scottish clash that we hear about as they certainly don't seem to have a problem with Geordies/Northumbrians.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    * Little girl shot in face for having a Scottish accent.
    * Beaten up for being Scottish. Squaddie in brick attack.
    * Mother ran out of England for being Scottish. Victim tells how cats were killed and home burned.
    * Women has haggis thrown through windows in anti-Scottish campaign in Rochdale.
    * Race-hate Englishman jailed for anti-Scots abuse.
    * School girls pipe band attacked at English carnival for being Scottish

Some headlines over the last years. Most of these only appear in local English or Scottish-only editions... if ever reported.

That's nothing. I have seen headlines like:

-Disabled boy shot in the eye for being English
    -Grandmother ran out of Scotland and dogs strangled
    -Woman has maypoles smashed through her windows in anti-English campaign in Dundee
    -Race-hate Scotsman jailed for repeated anti-English abuse
    - Scottish rioters attack English bands at anti-England carnival.

All reported locally in special editions, if ever.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    Like I said earlier, there are pricks in every country.

English pricks.
    Scottish pricks.
    German pricks.
    Etc.

There is a good argument to include people who think that a small minority of pricks are representative of a country as whole in that list as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

-Woman has maypoles smashed through her windows in anti-English campaign in Dundee

How are they worse than the aboves though? I don't understand the 'thats nothing' comment.

Surely it proves that there are problems in both?
  • Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What are you trying to say? That I made them up?

Sorry I don't do that. I'm old enough and been around long enough on here not to play silly games.

I will provide links for them all if I have time as I am at work. I know some are dated though due to online changes. No doubt you won't believe it anyway.

Where's the links for your ones exactly?