Options

Is it time to recognise the Hajj pilgrimage as a right?

solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
Forum Member
✭✭
An estimated 100,000 British Muslims are already in Mecca for the Hajj, the annual pilgrimage that Muslims are called upon to make once in their lifetimes.

But many more have been left behind, excluded from what they regard as a sacred duty by an extraordinary increase in prices.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11749511

Is it time we, in the UK recognise this as an important cultural rite of passage and fund all Muslims here to go on the pilgramage once in their lifetimes?

Comments

• Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »

Is it time we, in the UK recognise this as an important cultural rite of passage and fund all Muslims here to go on the pilgramage once in their lifetimes?

If you mean state funding - no.

If people want to believe in religion, they can fund it themselves.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This must be a wind up, if not the second word is off.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,871
    Forum Member
    OP: I believe the religion itself states, that muslims have to do this if they are able to do so and CAN afford it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    OP: I believe the religion itself states, that muslims have to do this if they are able to do so and CAN afford it.

He's right. :) That and the government doesn't fund Catholics to visit Lourdes or the Vatican, etc
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    wallster wrote: »

I agree with this entirely. I was always under the impression that the Hajj was a pilgrimage able bodied Muslims were supposed to do at least once in their lifetime if they could afford it. Presumably that means if they have the personal means to afford to go.

Whilst the Hajj is indeed central to the faith, if state funded visits were introduced then arguably similar state funding would have to be directed to other faiths. I think one could argue that devout Catholics would benefit from visiting the Vatican and those of the Jewish faith would benefit from visiting Israel.
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member

This was what I was certainly taught during the course of religious studies in school. I can't quite believe I can remember so much of it.
  • Options
    jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I understand what you're saying, but there should be no state funding for any religion - none at all - and that means cracking down on charities who claim tax exemption but aren't really doing charitable work.

In terms of UK Muslims, they must have more than sufficient resources as a 'community' to enable grants to be made to others in their community - otherwise where does all the money come to build places to worship. As far as I know that is all donated from individuals and businesses in their community. The same thing would apply to Christians - if they want to build a new church they must raise their own funds.

Otherwise I'm calling for every person who identifies as gay to have free trips to Amsterdam and Phuket, at least one time during their life. It's part of our religion.
    (btw, I know nothing about Phuket, just heard it was a good place to go)

In most cases wanting something, needing to do something, should be a driving force to motivate yourself to further yourself in life, to get back in to employment, or get a better paid job, or get a job which is more personally rewarding in some way, or to move to a nicer house, or buy a newer car, or to learn new skills, or start a new relationship, or end a disasterous one, or ... whatever.

There should be a clear divide between religion and state. State should help with community projects to build social cohesion, but not directly fund anything related to religion.

I suspect you were playing devil's advocate ;)

It's a contentious subject, but I suspect you knew that.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They do have the right to do what all pilgrims of all religions have done for centuries - walk to the Holy Places begging for their bread. That is what people did in Medieval Europe and still do in Buddhist and HIndu countries. If they want to fly, they can pay their own way.
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone want to join my religion? It involves an annual pilgrimage to Waikiki.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Muslim I can say NO.

If anything it is a problem of the greedy travel agents who exploit the situation and Saudi govt who don't regulate them, and also don't allow a free market by not allowing independent Hajj visas but force you to use a tour group. Not our govt.

Also the guys in the article must be aware how lucky British Muslims are. If you want a Hajj visa it is easy to get one. But for many Muslims it is very hard. For example Yemen is just over the border but all men under 40 are banned from getting Hajj visas. And in many counties there is a waiting list of years.

If they really wanted to go they can book their package from Pakistan or India where it costs a lot less. But then instead of staying in 4 or 5 star hotels they would be staying in shared basic rooms. Maybe they don't want it bad enough.

Is this story a wind up? Because believe me they don't represent most British Muslims.
    Sure Muslim communities should help poor elders go on Hajj but not the state.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try booking a family holiday in June and then the same one in July and see what the price difference is. Travel companies like all companies exist for one reason and one reason only to make money and at peak times they will cash in. Free market economy at work so wether you want to take the kids to Disney or the Mecca you are going to be screwed over at certain times.
  • Options
    jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Try booking a family holiday in June and then the same one in July and see what the price difference is. Travel companies like all companies exist for one reason and one reason only to make money and at peak times they will cash in. Free market economy at work so wether you want to take the kids to Disney or the Mecca you are going to be screwed over at certain times.

I think they call that the actions of a "cartel" :eek:
    Just like all energy companies putting up their prices by almost the same amount (wait and see) at the same time of year, and regardless of the fact that they all buy their gas at different times.

British Gas claims that the gas we're using now was purchased 3 years ago. My BS meter just exploded :mad:
  • Options
    PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member
    wallster wrote: »

^^ This.

If the implication here is that the state should be funding transport for this then why not also trips to Lourdes for Catholics?

It a silly idea to be honest; and I say that as one who has religious beliefs.

Religion is a personal choice outwith the remit of state funding.

I'd also stop all state funding to churches etc, of any denomination, whether it be for maintenance or construction.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP is taking the piss.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    every bl**dy thing is a right, isn't it? Heading that way.
  • Options
    nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taking the mick, no chance of state funding and as far as I can see no Muslims are asking for it.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    jswift909 wrote: »
    British Gas claims that the gas we're using now was purchased 3 years ago. My BS meter just exploded :mad:

Off topic - how long do you think gas contracts last for?

On topic - people can take holiday to go if they want and pay for it themselves - no extras for anyone (including the ridiculous paternity holidays etc)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    If you want something like the person in the article then get a job and save up for it -dont moan and expect someone to give it to you .Id like to to go to New Zealand - will the government give me thousands of pound for my holiday
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also encourages people to help others to do the Hajj or to set up the equivalent of "Friendly Societies" to save up to allow some of their members to attend. In some really poor countries it's permissible for a group of Muslims to send one of their group to the Hajj and for them to all say they've been to the Hajj (sort of "it's the thought that counts").

The biggest problem for the Saudis though isn't the people who can't afford the Hajj, it's the people who can afford to go several times.

They'd be a lot happier if they could find something by Mohammed that says you attend the Hajj ONCE in your lifetime.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    OP is taking the piss.

Yes it was my immediate thought that he was demonstrating how easy it is to "pull people's chain" on here.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone want to join my religion? It involves an annual pilgrimage to Waikiki.

You want to visit an online encyclopedia??? :eek:

:D
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No the government shouldnt fund it. The worst thing it about it the Saudi government not only restrict visa's but you also have to prove you are muslim which is absurd. Believers have been turned away which is disgusting!!
  • Options
    lucius4lucius4 Posts: 400
    Forum Member

NO...........
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a very odd question op, why would you ask it?

do muslim countries fund their inhabitants to go?

does this country fund christians for their pilgrimages?
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    No the government shouldnt fund it. The worst thing it about it the Saudi government not only restrict visa's but you also have to prove you are muslim which is absurd. Believers have been turned away which is disgusting!![/QUOTE]

Isn't it a matter of crowd control though. Don't lots of people get squashed and die? :eek: