Options

Lady Gaga - ARTPOP (4th studio album)

Comments

• Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    I find it strange being a big defender of Gaga but: she may not have been aware of how vicious he can be when she became friends with him and also: hes like a dog with a bone, he WONT LET GO. Its unpleasant, what has she done to him thats so bloody terrible? Murdered a member of his family? His loathing of her is relentless & he keeps on and on with it.
    Surely most people- if they dislike an artist will have a bit of a rant, then get bored with the subject and then ignore the person they hate. Perez has been going on for 3-4 months now (at least)

i am sorry, but this just doesn't wash with me. did she not read his website before or after befriending him? she was with him that night he came to blows with the "black eyed peas", was she not aware of the comments he made that provoked that altercation? even the most trusting and naive of people would have had alarm bells ringing from ear to ear.

unfortunately for her, she is now facing the consequences of that unsavoury friendship. If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    TH14 wrote: »
    I think Gaga cares deeply about sales and would be devastated if ARTPOP sold poorly and didn't reach number one, she might say something to the contrary but a quick look at her twitter feed and her comments down the years about her sales and chart success will tell you she cares deeply and she will be hurting make no mistake about it. If people think she is quite happy to play runner up to Miley and Katy then they are kidding themselves. Gaga will be gutted

I think she cares about success, but that doesn't necessarily mean charts and sales. More achievement and praise. She craves validation like all entertainers do (these people perform for applause - they need the audience there to give what they're doing value).
    gpk wrote: »
    one can only conclude she must be extremely naive then, to befriend a person like that. like you say, people seem to be very aware of perez and his apparent vileness. yet, apparently gaga was supposedly oblivious to what has been so glaringly obvious to the internet community for many years. something just doesn't add up.:confused:

She admitted in the Howard Stern interview that she was naive and genuinely believed that he wanted and would change his ways. She said she couldn't believe how he could be one person with her off-camera and then flip the switch and be bitchy Perez trying to get his exclusives by goading her.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure she knew what he was like because she's with Perez at the awards in Canada where Perez had a fall out with Will I Am and called him a 'faggott'. You can hear gaga quite clearly asking Perez to leave it

She's not stupid and knew very well what he was like but she used him for her own ends and when you mess with psychotic people like him you find they become hard to shake off
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Gaga cares deeply about sales and would be devastated if ARTPOP sold poorly and didn't reach number one, she might say something to the contrary but a quick look at her twitter feed and her comments down the years about her sales and chart success will tell you she cares deeply and she will be hurting make no mistake about it. If people think she is quite happy to play runner up to Miley and Katy then they are kidding themselves. Gaga will be gutted

4 years ago, around the time of Bad Romance she looked like the undisputed Queen of Pop. Even during the BTW era, she slipped quite a bit, but I thought she was going to claw it back with this era, esp with the initial artwork, which portrayed a more subdued Stephanie, without the kookiness.
    Then came the performance art vids, which seems to have been met with wide derision IMO. It was quite obvious then, that the public werent going to take to the "ART" side of "ARTPOP".
    Then came Applause, which simply wasnt a strong enough single (she should have gone with ARTPOP a mainstream sounding song, the title of the album & radio friendly).

Since then we have had the "promotional single" debarcle, it seems unfocused. The performance art & pared back "Stephanie" has gone out of the window in favour of Boticelli Venus & more wackiness.

UNfortunately for her there was then a clash with a very strong Eminem comeback happening at the same time as her album release, which means she has been overshadowed.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she cares about success, but that doesn't necessarily mean charts and sales. More achievement and praise. She craves validation like all entertainers do (these people perform for applause - they need the audience there to give what they're doing value).

/QUOTE]

I think that applies to someone like PJ Harvey but not Gaga. If she doesn't get a number one from ARTPOP and it sells fewer than Miley and Katy then she will be devastated. She promotes the hell out of everything for sales and chops and changes her strategies for the singles every five minutes out of fear that the chosen single may flop. She also begged for people to buy Applause and was tweeting links and offering to meet fans who bought the most copies. That's not the behaviour of someone who just cares about getting praise..Gaga is desperate for a number one and high sales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure she knew what he was like because she's with Perez at the awards in Canada where Perez had a fall out with Will I Am and called him a 'faggott'. You can hear gaga quite clearly asking Perez to leave it

She's not stupid and knew very well what he was like but she used him for her own ends and when you mess with psychotic people like him you find they become hard to shake off

exactly, it seems too much of a stretch to honestly believe she genuinely thought he would change his ways through her influence.:rolleyes: i dare say she had an attack of her conscience eventually, but that probably came after he helped to hype up her profile initially.
  • Options
    NewBallsPleaseNewBallsPlease Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Absolutley no shade intended on Eminem or his current success, but a c.70% drop in sales (if Gaga gets to #1 with the lower predictions) would be pretty big.

It would, but it would still be about 237,000, which is about what others are selling on their first week of sales.
    No T No Shade:)
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that applies to someone like PJ Harvey but not Gaga. If she doesn't get a number one from ARTPOP and it sells fewer than Miley and Katy then she will be devastated. She promotes the hell out of everything for sales and chops and changes her strategies for the singles every five minutes out of fear that the chosen single may flop. She also begged for people to buy Applause and was tweeting links and offering to meet fans who bought the most copies. That's not the behaviour of someone who just cares about getting praise..Gaga is desperate for a number one and high sales.
    Spot on
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a few listens to the album now and the only songs I will continue to listen to are

Venus
    GUY
    Sexxx Dreams
    Applause
    Do What U Want
    Gypsy.

Not a fan of the others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    /QUOTE]

I think that applies to someone like PJ Harvey but not Gaga. If she doesn't get a number one from ARTPOP and it sells fewer than Miley and Katy then she will be devastated. She promotes the hell out of everything for sales and chops and changes her strategies for the singles every five minutes out of fear that the chosen single may flop. She also begged for people to buy Applause and was tweeting links and offering to meet fans who bought the most copies. That's not the behaviour of someone who just cares about getting praise..Gaga is desperate for a number one and high sales.[/QUOTE]

I think you are right, the royal mess around the 2nd single after Applause was a clear indication for me, it was DWYW then it was Venus, then it was DWYW again. There was also talk of Aura as a single at 1 point (that wouldve been a BIIIIIG mistake). Such fluctuation can only be an indication of uncertainty behind the scenes.
    I think if Gaga just let reign to the "Pop" side of herself & focused on some simple pop songs, she can possible halt what appears to be a slide. BUt I dont know if the "artiste" Gaga can be suppressed to that degree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    She likes to sing about herself/her fame... Not that I mind, I just ignore the lyrics and focus on the melodies and instrumentation. But still..

On another note, it would've been fun if Rihanna had also released an album this year, just to really make the pop scene explode. Oh, and Beyoncé.
  • Options
    tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to keep you guys updated.

Artpop is now expected to sell 250-275k in usa. It was originally 300k+.

Born this way sold 215k in our country first week!
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ We don't care
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ARTPOP the song is epic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She likes to sing about herself/her fame... Not that I mind, I just ignore the lyrics and focus on the melodies and instrumentation. But still..

On another note, it would've been fun if Rihanna had also released an album this year, just to really make the pop scene explode. Oh, and Beyoncé.

THis too tbh. "I live for the applause, applause, applause" just wont resonate with the public as much as "cos I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar".
    KP's song was about finding confidence and overcoming insecurities and negativity from others, a universal feeling people that people can connect with. Appluase is about Gaga's life only- its disconnected from the experiences of everyday life.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim18 wrote: »
    Just to keep you guys updated.

Artpop is now expected to sell 250-275k in usa. It was originally 300k+.

Born this way sold 215k in our country first week!

You're about three pages late.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I don't need to be the top, to know I'm worth it coz I'm strong enough to know the truth"
  • Options
    Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the problem is just Gaga's image though. Her songs have been declining for a while. At the end of the day its always about the music. No one really cares what someone looks like. If they like a song they will support it. Her music just isn't connecting with the masses anymore.

Indeed.

I believe that people can go over the narcissistic attitude and image, but only when the music is good (like in the case of Thom Yorke, Kanye West and so on). Artpop however is neither a good pop record nor a creative, artistic quality album. It's a mediocre pop album at best, with a very ambitious title.

Her attempt to sell herself as some artistic pop visionary was very deluded and had to fail, because let's be honest, she has no music to back that up, not on her previous albums and certainly not on Artpop. If she really wants to be seen more as an artist than a pop girl, then she should focus on her music and invest less time and effort into her antics and hype.

Still, she is not over. She needed this little decline as an eye opener and hopefully she will learn her lesson. But just like TH14 said, she can work her way back to the top, all she needs is better music. Gaga has it in herself and people love great comeback stories, so I believe that Gaga is here to stay :)

Cheek to Cheek looks very promising, so she can be back very soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're about three pages late.

well its news to me.:p i zoned out before this was revealed and zoned back in when the perez tweet was posted. those sales are low though, i remember a while ago, you told me hits daily were predicting 400k.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well its news to me.:p i zoned out before this was revealed and zoned back in when the perez tweet was posted. those sales are low though, i remember a while ago, you told me hits daily were predicting 400k.:o

I think I said both Prism and ARTPOP were predicted opening sales of 500,000 in the US. Hysterically wrong on both counts!

EDIT: no you were right, 400,000 were the predictions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I said both Prism and ARTPOP were predicted opening sales of 500,000 in the US by Sony Music. Hysterically wrong on both counts!

EDIT: no you were right, 400,000 were the predictions.

i have a long memory.:D

we are not talking about prism though, so i fail to see the hilarity.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have a long memory.:D

we are not talking about prism though, so i fail to see the hilarity.:confused:

I mentioned Prism because:
    Current predictions this time around seem to be much more relatively conservative - Sony (a Universal rival) predicts 400,000 copies for both Prism and ARTPOP,
    "artpop" should smash that surely, based on her last opening week sales figure and the hype around her app?:confused: katy could do that, but that is over double the sales "teenage dream" had in week one.:eek: although, she does another smash lead single and the release is in the last quarter. i find "hits daily" on twitter quite accurate for predictions personally.

We were taking about both in our original exchange. It's just funny looking back and seeing how wrong Sony were with some of their predictions. For example, Avril Lavigne - Prediction: 100,000 / Reality: 44,000!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mentioned Prism because:

We were taking about both in our original exchange.

its not relevant now though or particularly amusing, now is it?:D when i mentioned our previous exchange, i was focusing on gaga's previous estimation. its interesting to read those comments back though, because it looks like i was shocked by katy's estimate and i thought gaga should achieve hers.

i am not just having a go at you, but i just find it rather tiring how other artists are constantly dragged into this debate for comparative reasons. i mean, katy's first week sales is a good result surely, based on the sales of her last album during its first week and with the way album sales are down? enimen's second week sales are impressive still after so many years in the game, surely? yet these are just some of the comparisons presumably posted to make gaga's sales seem more acceptable. its rather distracting, but i guess that is the point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just find it rather tiring personally, i am not just having a go at you, how other artists are constantly dragged into this debate for comparative reasons. i mean, katy's first week sales is a good result surely, based on the sales of her last album during its first week and with the way album sales are down? enimen's second week sales are impressive still after so many years in the game, surely? yet these are just some of the comparisons presumably posted to make gaga's sales seem more acceptable. its rather distracting, but i guess that is the point.

But comparisons at times are needed. Hit Em found it shocking that somebody with 40m followers might only sell 500,000 copies WW in their debut week. Well Katy has 47m followers and failed to sell 500,000, as did Rihanna with her 80m FB likes. Hardly surprising or shocking. In fact it's a very common occurrence. You yourself find Gaga's sales :o but Katy's 'good' despite the fact she also sold largely sold below industry expectations. Perspective is needed inbetween all these posts of hyperbole and double standards.

And my comment about Emeniem was based on LM's worries and estimations that Gaga would need to shift c.400,000 to topple him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perspective is needed inbetween all these posts of hyperbole and double standards.

yes, well there seems to be plenty of both from both sides, but i just find it distracting. now be honest here, what relevance was katy's first week sales to my earlier comment? i was commenting on gaga's predicted sales, because we are discussing gaga's sales this week.