Improve picture quality

I have just purchased an Hitachi 505 DVD and a Panasonic TX-PF10 TV. They are connected via a scart lead. But the picture is like watching a game on my pc in 600 pixells and needs to go to 1024, the background is not clear at all. The shop I bought these from say it is because the TV is 100hz. I have tried different scart sockets but still the same picture quality. Could someone please help me with my set up as my VCR is clearer.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    It is true that 100Hz can exaserbate(SP?) MPEG digital artefacts. You notice them on digital TV (until you get used to it) where the encoding is higher but you should only see it on badly encoded DVDs like 'Lost in Space' R1 or 'Dune'R1, even then it should be only mild in the background of some scenes. Certainly DVD's like 'The Matrix' or 'Trainspotting' should have no noticable artefacts or dithering at all.

Try swapping from one Scart port to another, switching the type of output, ie RGB, S-vid, composite, and even try the S-vid (4-pin mini-din) output on the back of the DVD player. Basically, try and eliminate and re-create the problem by changing as many things as you can. If you can't then perhaps something is more seriously wrong.

Do you have a digibox? Do you see similar problems with that? FYI Digtal TV uses the same compression technique as DVD so if your digibox is fine using the same scart port as the DVD and same interconnect signal type e.g. RGB then your DVD player is probably a duffer.

Failing that, try a diferent player, then try a different TV, both 100Hz and 50Hz.

In conclusion, your dealer is talking out of his hat. The picture should be fantastic almost all of the time and should kick the Sh*t out of your VCR no problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    You could try turning your picture sharpness down if you have the option. Also turn off any "smart" features that your TV may have (picture enhancement etc.)

Noel Hennessy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Check that your DVD player is configured in it's setup menu to output RGB if your tv supports it or Svideo. Also is your scart lead fully wired and screened?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Read the topic "SVideo vs. Euro-SCART?" in this forum. I had similar problems with my Panasonic 100 Hz TV: the best way to get the maximum image quality is using a GOOD S-Video cable. If you haven't S-V input in the TV or S-V output in the DVD, you can try with the SCART S-V signal (in my Panasonic TV, the Euro-SCART 2 use this signal and I can select it in the setup of the DVD).