The General Olympic Thread 2016 - 2020

marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
Forum Member
✭✭
Thought id start a thread for general discussion about anything Olympic between now and the next Games - any goss about who has decided to compete etc , the latest about the sports, competing schedules and ticket dates that kind of thing

Comments

• marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Homecoming of Team GB will be live on BBC Two ad The News Channel at 9.30am tomorrow morning
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't the Olympic forums get a clear out between now and 2020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well hope the mods note the dates iof thread and leave it be
  • bacchantic enigmabacchantic enigma Posts: 3,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »
    well hope the mods note the dates iof thread and leave it be

You could always ask them to move this thread to the general sports forum, if the Rio forum closes
  • alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't the Olympic forums get a clear out between now and 2020

didn't happen last time, the old threads from London as still here if you dig deep enough.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else got post-Olympics jet lag? i didn't see much of the first week as I was working but I took last week off and got into the routine of getting to bed at around 3am. I just about made it back to work this morning but it's now 2am and I'm not tired at all. I feel that I should be watching some hockey or judo - and I have to be at work in 6 hours time.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Anyone else got post-Olympics jet lag? i didn't see much of the first week as I was working but I took last week off and got into the routine of getting to bed at around 3am. I just about made it back to work this morning but it's now 2am and I'm not tired at all. I feel that I should be watching some hockey or judo - and I have to be at work in 6 hours time.

I was on Holiday in Florida until 8th Aug, and got straight into the Olympics on my return, so I've been on American / South American time for the last month. So I'm wide awake now, but will be like a zombie around 6 am and beyond.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »
    The Homecoming of Team GB will be live on BBC Two ad The News Channel at 9.30am tomorrow morning

BA2016 has landed.

Getting through Customs is going to be fun.
    "Anything to declare?"
    "Only 67 medals!"
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 10 attempts to get the stairs lined up :D

I'm going to defend the guy driving them - I don't think it's normal for a 747 to get stairs at Heathrow. It would usually be an airbridge. So it's probably an unfamiliar job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

thats why the olympic channel has been developed just for people like you ...and me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russia have lost their appeal to CAS to be allowed to take part in the Paralympics!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just realised that Tokyo will be 8 hours ahead of us and then if the 2024 Games go to LA they will be 8 hours behind us
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    World Health organisation has announced that there were zero new cases of the zika virus discovered or reported during the Olympic Games
  • deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know anything about volunteering for the Olympics, in particular overseas volunteers? The reason I ask is that Japan has a really low percentage of people who can speak any English. They're going to want people from abroad who can speak English fluently (and perhaps some basic Japanese).

I guess you'll need to foot accommodation, travel, food expenses all yourself but four years is a long enough time to save up money. I also would have thought they might have special visas for Olympic-related things.

Any thoughts?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about volunteering for the Olympics, in particular overseas volunteers? The reason I ask is that Japan has a really low percentage of people who can speak any English. They're going to want people from abroad who can speak English fluently (and perhaps some basic Japanese).

I guess you'll need to foot accommodation, travel, food expenses all yourself but four years is a long enough time to save up money. I also would have thought they might have special visas for Olympic-related things.

Any thoughts?

from the Tokyo website

Information regarding Games volunteers will be posted on the official website of the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee as soon as it is available. As a point of reference, London 2012 and Rio 2016 began inviting applications for volunteers around two years before their edition of the Games.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rio 2016 looks like it is in danger of emulating Athens 2004, where billions of dollars worth of capital investments are left to rot and moulder for the lack of a few thousand dollars worth of revenue to keep the facilities running.

$19 Million Rio Olympic Golf Course May be Left to 'Die'

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/11/29/19-million-rio-olympic-golf-course-may-be-left-to-die/2/
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not getting any better

Rio's Olympic legacy lies in ruins - even if the IOC continues to insist otherwise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2017/03/16/rios-olympic-legacy-lies-ruins-even-ioc-continues-insist-otherwise/