Family Tree BBC2

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Nina and Monkey made this episode!

I liked the interview for the children's party more than the wedding, but both were good.

The person I could do with a lot less of is the friend (the one that lost the boxing with the kid). I found him very irritating this week, although last week I thought he was ok as the front end of the donkey.
    As I had to rescue this from Page 7, I guess everyone else has given up?

The last episode was the best so far aside from the annoying and unamusing Brent-channelling mate (who is only funny when being beaten up by a 13-year-old).
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    I dont get the best mate - he's either a waste of a character or a pretty poor actor/improvisor.

Otherwise I love it!
    Couldn't agree more, he makes me itch every time he appears on screen. How could the writers get it so wrong or is it the casting? Ditch him!
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Apparently some people think he's doing a Ricky Gervais impersonation. Probably the same people who think that Andy Parsons is doing a Griff Rhys Jones impersonation.

I don't mind the character or actor. So what if he sounds a bit like Ricky Gervais. It's not out of the ordinary for two people to sounds a little bit like another.

Saying that, I didn't think much of the last episode. It's been going downhill.
    BIB that is a new one to me.
    Now I think about it, I can see the similarity's in the way they speak, the pauses in sentences and the changes of inflection and speed.
    Wouldn't call it an impersonation though.

I think the friend is meant to be really annoying! That's the whole point of the character, though it does make you wonder why someone fairly normal and sensible like Tom would have stayed friends with him for so long.

The actor is definitely doing a Ricky Gervais impression, I don't know how anyone can deny that. It's the expressions, the voice, the whole thing.

I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing though, and I suspect that's what the writers/ producers wanted anyway. I think he was deliberately written as a David Brent type character. I've never thought Andy Parsons is anything like Griff Rhys Jones though!
  • fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the little things that Americans still think of us all being like... Eg we live in permenant clouds of smog we only drink warm beer and all have rotten teeth.
    I overheard a conversation in an Hotel in Arizona between an American woman and a British woman.
    American... What part of England are you from?
    Brit..... Birmingham.
    American..... You must know Margaret?
    Brit.... I don't think I would know her.
    American....Yes, she has grey hair and nice teeth, much nicer than yours, your teeth are normal in England aren't they?
    The Brit then walked off and I choked on my drink, I saw the womans face properly later in the restaurant and her teeth were 3 times the size of Janet Street Porters, I choked again.
  • monkeypuzzlermonkeypuzzler Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    In last night's episode, I loved Monkey Skyping Tom to tell him that Bea had been sacked but she couldn't talk to him because she was asleep.

Me too, thought that was ace
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The monkey skype was brilliant - so much pathos. Tom must have asked 3 or 4 times to speak to Bea, but she couldnt face him. So sad, Bea is one complex character! Perhaps would be better if she went to the USA instead of his annoying mate?
  • EsterhausEsterhaus Posts: 2,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I loved the Monkey Skype chat too. And Fred Willard! He must be about the funniest actor I've ever seen. Such great comic presence. He barely has to open his mouth and I'm in hysterics.
  • Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Esterhaus wrote: »
    Yes, I loved the Monkey Skype chat too. And Fred Willard! He must be about the funniest actor I've ever seen. Such great comic presence. He barely has to open his mouth and I'm in hysterics.

If you're lucky he'll open his flies as well ;)
  • EsterhausEsterhaus Posts: 2,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're lucky he'll open his flies as well ;)

Yes, that incident was unfortunate. He's still a funny bugger though (in more ways than one!).
  • kingofscotlandkingofscotland Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    Perhaps would be better if she went to the USA instead of his annoying mate?

They both go to America.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    In last night's episode, I loved Monkey Skyping Tom to tell him that Bea had been sacked but she couldn't talk to him because she was asleep. And denying that it was his fault she lost her job, although he was there.

But why on earth is Tom's best friend going over to join him in California? That makes no sense whatsoever to me.
    I wouldn't mind my best mate coming along if I was going to meet a bunch of strangers, even if they are relations.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind my best mate coming along if I was going to meet a bunch of strangers, even if they are relations.

But Tom has already met them before Pete has even left England.
    Forum Member
    Still, it could be a couple of days meeting new people then a nice little jolly with your sister and best mate.
    Although he said he would be worried, possibly ashamed and embarrassed about Pete (and Bea/Monkey) surely it's nice to have familiar faces around?
    Forum Member
    I was trying to work out who Dave reminded me of. An actor i'd seen before. Never twigged that it was Guest :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what sort of viewing figures this gets. I can't quite work out why I like it but I think it's kind of charming. It's certainly not a belly laugh but it's very relaxing to watch not like many comedies these days that rely on shouting and swearing.
    Forum Member
    I wonder also as there have been no comments on here about the show content for the last two episodes
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've really enjoyed it, I think it's a kind of gentle surreal humour - interested to see how it all ends up next week
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Really liked bits of the last episode, especially Bea's hysteria at losing Monk(ey), and her flicking the Vs at the charity woman!
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Bea was going to leave Monk in the changing rooms when she was trying on clothes. Otherwise why did she go on so much about buying clothes? So I was expecting them to look everywhere and finally collect him from the clothes shop.

Yes, I liked bits of the episode but hated other bits, especially Pete's "Brit abroad" stuff and Tom's relative's conspiracy theory room.
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised Tom didn't make more of the conspiracy nut when he went back outside - telling her that his extended family are totally nuts.

Is there a second series in the pipeline?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised Tom didn't make more of the conspiracy nut when he went back outside - telling her that his extended family are totally nuts.

Is there a second series in the pipeline?

I hope there is. I've enjoyed this series so much.
  • Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Lovely series. Surprised the Beeb didn't push it more given some of the cast. Loved it when Oscar from The Office turned up.

A class, gentle comedy.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it when Oscar from The Office turned up.

You mean the American re-make?