Options

We Are Nearly Back To The Future!

Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,520
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Only a couple of months and it will be 2015 the year they showed in the movie Back To The Future in 1985. They had ideas then about what they thought this next year would look like. It looks like there will not be a flying skateboard. How different do you think the year is now looking compared to what they thought back in the mid 1980s?

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    2015 the year they showed in the movie Back To The Future in 1985
    No it wasn't.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only a couple of months and it will be 2015 the year they showed in the movie Back To The Future in 1985. They had ideas then about what they thought this next year would look like. It looks like there will not be a flying skateboard. How different do you think the year is now looking compared to what they thought back in the mid 1980s?

I think you mean part II which was released in 1989.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    I hold out hope that on January 1st, Mattel will unveil the hoverboard.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hoverboards have been invented.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be more impressed if the Cubbies win the World Series. They won't beat Miami though..
  • Options
    quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    It's funny how Robert Zemeckis deliberately tried to avoid any kind of reality in depicting his version of the future and just decided to play it for laughs, and yet a lot of stuff in the movie have actually happened. The "hands free" video games and big wide screen TV's etc.

I'm still waiting for that Black and Decker hydrator though :D
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes we are nearly there. No sign of any hover boards but some prat skateboarded on a
    narrow strip of pavement whilst we were waiting for a bus.
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget that 2001: A Space Odyssey (circa 1968) predicted at least twelve BBC TV channels (with Kenneth Kendall still reading the news and not looking a day older) as well as American and Russian moon bases. Not to mention easy access to the moon in a vehicle that smacked of a private jet. Some of that is coming to pass. Seven BBC channels (but, sadly, no Kenneth Kendall) and Richard Branson's space venture.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just glad New York recovered from being a maximum security prison in 1997.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm still waiting for that Black and Decker hydrator though :D
    :eek:
    I read that as vibrator :D
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Yes we are nearly there. No sign of any hover boards but some prat skateboarded on a
    narrow strip of pavement whilst we were waiting for a bus.

Yes there is. I just posted above that hoverboards have been invented.

Obviously they're not ubiquitous like in the film, but they do exist.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2831354/Marty-McFly-style-hoverboard-uses-electromagnets-sale-10-000-work-METAL-surface.html
    http://www.hendohover.com/#/

At the moment they're not very practical because they work on an electromagnetic system which only works on a metal flooring. So they're not at the stage of development where you can hover around everywhere with them like in the film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's a moment where Doc shows Marty that he's had cosmetic surgery. Of course this was scripted so Christopher Lloyd didn't have to wear ageing make-up for the sequels, and as Marty's expression shows, there wasn't much difference anyway lol. But ironically all these years later and it's becoming more and more like an everyday thing for people to do. Pop to a surgery to have botox and other procedures like it's a trip to the dentist.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget that 2001: A Space Odyssey (circa 1968) predicted at least twelve BBC TV channels (with Kenneth Kendall still reading the news and not looking a day older) as well as American and Russian moon bases. Not to mention easy access to the moon in a vehicle that smacked of a private jet. Some of that is coming to pass. Seven BBC channels (but, sadly, no Kenneth Kendall) and Richard Branson's space venture.

Plus they also correctly predicted tablets. There is a scene with the two astronauts sitting and eating, and in front of them on the table are small flat-screen tablets where they are watching TV.

OK, it's not the most challenging prediction ever, most electrical items were already getting smaller and more compact, but it's still fascinating to see given it was only 1967.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there is. I just posted above that hoverboards have been invented.

Obviously they're not ubiquitous like in the film, but they do exist.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2831354/Marty-McFly-style-hoverboard-uses-electromagnets-sale-10-000-work-METAL-surface.html
    http://www.hendohover.com/#/

At the moment they're not very practical because they work on an electromagnetic system which only works on a metal flooring. So they're not at the stage of development where you can hover around everywhere with them like in the film.

Do they work over water?
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Yeah that just makes me feel old. 1985 is as far away now as 1955 was when BttF first came out.

If they did a remake, Marty would travel back in time... all the way to 1985. I wonder what type of music he'd play at the dance that would shock those innocent 80s teens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Yeah that just makes me feel old. 1985 is as far away now as 1955 was when BttF first came out.

If they did a remake, Marty would travel back in time... all the way to 1985. I wonder what type of music he'd play at the dance that would shock those innocent 80s teens.
    To be fair, the song he played to 'shock' the youngsters in 1955 was written in 1958 so if a remake followed suit a song from 1988 would be played.

How about The Timelords Doctorin' The Tardis
    ;)
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waiting for a jacket that dries itself like in part II
    and a oven you put in a little pizza and it comes out cooked and really big
    and fruit bowls that descend from the ceiling and you have to hit it and yell "retract damn you retract" to make it go back up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »

Ever see that Family Guy episode? It would be Never Gonna Give you Up by Rick Astley :D
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have quite a lot of Jaws films to make in quite a short space of time...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »
    They have quite a lot of Jaws films to make in quite a short space of time...

Max Spielberg's career hasn't really lived up to expectations.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I'm just glad New York recovered from being a maximum security prison in 1997.

Not to mention that we sorted out that nasty problem with the neutrinos mutating in 2012 before they flooded the world.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and no sign of the eugenics war yet
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened to the last of America's deep space probes. RIP Capt. Rogers.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Inhabiting the moon is a good fifteen years late while we're at it.

Perhaps they're waiting for the flares & stack heels revival first.
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to jugs that pour the correct amount, jackets that dry your hair and tiny microwavable pizzas. 2015 can't come soon enough.