Driving licence revoked!!

Purple OrchidPurple Orchid Posts: 959
Forum Member
✭✭
Had a court hearing at the end of December and was given 3 points and a fine for speeding.
As the magistrate hadn`t looked at quite a vital piece of information, the letter from the person actually driving my car, I am appealing the fine and points.

Had a letter from the DVLA this morning saying that because I hadn`t sent it back to them asap to have the points added, that my licence has been revoked and I need to send it back immediately.
The letter also states that I am allowed to drive for 12 months after it has been revoked - how does this work with insurance, etc???

I`ve been ringing the DVLA all morning but the line is constantly busy, so can`t get any help there.
The letter says that they can ask the police to take my licence from me. I`m going away this weekend, will I get the blues & twos chasing me to Cromer?? :eek:

Has anyone else been through this?

All advice and help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the three points you were given take you to six points? Are you subject to the New Drivers Act?
    Your driving licence is automatically revoked if you build up six or more penalty points within two years of passing your first driving test. This includes any penalty points you had before passing the test, which are still valid. You’ll have to reapply for your driving licence as a learner driver and resit your driving test.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/NewlyQualifiedDrivers/DG_4022566

It seems very odd if you can still drive for 12 months after your licence has been revoked since that would seem to render the revocation meaningless. Are you quite sure that's what the letter said? Surely if your licence is revoked you no longer have a qualification to drive and if you did drive you'd be doing so illegally?
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how did it end up in the magistrates court if you weren't driving the car? surely you had the opportunity to identify the driver at the initial notice stage?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *deleted* as I was adding no real advice
  • Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    how did it end up in the magistrates court if you weren't driving the car? surely you had the opportunity to identify the driver at the initial notice stage?

Maybe he didn't remember that someone else was driving the car until he realised the number of points he was going to get would take him over the limit?
  • Purple OrchidPurple Orchid Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd - I`m not subject to the New Drivers Act, and the letter definitely says that I can still drive even though it`s been revoked. Apparantly that means that the DVLA can send the cops after me. It seems there are 3 points floating around that are `mine`, but not quite mine yet.

Keefy-boy - I knew that my Dad was driving but he didn`t tell me until a week before the hearing that he`d let someone else drive my car. I know... :rolleyes:

Magic8Ball - I`m a girl btw... :)

Ok, I spoke to a nice lady at the DVLA. They can put my account on hold for 3 months while the appeal is dealt with, and this stops the cops from chasing me. She did admit that the letter is worded to scare people so they actually answer it...

I feel a bit better now, thanks for the support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't get it. If your licence has been revoked, that means it's been cancelled, withdrawn or rescinded. (Yes, I am drawing on dictionary definitions.) How can your licence be cancelled and yet you're still entitled to drive? As I understand it, revocation means you don't have a licence any more and therefore you have no legal entitlement to drive.

If you can be bothered, what are the sentences in your letter that say you're entitled to drive for 12 months after your licence has been revoked? Why just 12 months, anyway? Is there something you're meant to do during the 12 months, such as taking a driving test?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd, the letter says...

"I write to inform you that your licence will be revoked from 16/02/08.

You are permitted to continue driving for a maximum period of 12 months (or until your licence expires, if sooner) even though your licence has been revoked or surrendered, proved that:

- You are not prevented from holding or obtaining a licence by a Court or on age or health grounds.

- Any conditions which apply to the licence are met.

If you object to the decision to revoke your licence, you may appeal but you must first notify us in writing that you intend doing so. Even if you wish to appeal, you must still send us your licence at once. Failure to respond to this letter will result in the Police being asked to recover it on our behalf"

So that`s why I wasn`t clear on what exactly `revoking` meant.
    I still don`t think it makes any sense.

I`m not happy with the way that they want you to send your licence back and forwards to them in the post, not my idea of being careful with my ID...:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the quotations. It seems that there must be another definition of "revoked" that I've never come across, so that your licence can be revoked but still valid. I'm baffled.

Still, maybe someone else understands it. I'll wait and see if another FM can clarify matters.

Is it just an attempt to apply pressure to you so that you'll send in your licence for the points to be added?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son had a letter informing him his licence was being revoked. He phoned a "very nice lady" from the DVLA who agreed to put it on hold while his appeal was going through. This was December 2006.

In February 2007 he was stopped while driving one of my vans and was informed by the "very nice police officer" that a computer check showed that he didnt have a licence as it had been revoked.

The court case was thrown out on September 2007 (on a technicality) but we are STILL trying to get his licence back.

OP make sure you log the time of the call and the name of the operator you speak to, (all calls are recorded so long as you can give them times etc). Better still - get anything in writing and dont accept peoples word for your revoking being "on hold".

Good luck.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doing a google on revoking a driving licence in the UK seems to indicate that the licence is taken from you (as in a disqualification). There are many references to the New Drivers Act, and revoking a licence on medical or disability grounds. In all cases th refers to the loss of the licence. So I too am mystified.

Unless (and these are just guesses):

1) You are then prevented from driving by way of having no valid insurance (as valid insurance relied on you having a valid driving licence). In any case, tell your insurance company.

or

2) You revert to learner status and must get a Provisional licence?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh bloody hell!!!
    This is silly. :confused:

`Revoking` means to me that something has been taken away. I asked the DVLA if I could still drive on my licence and she said yes. So why does their letter tell me that they have taken it away??

Why can`t officials and their minions send letters that make proper sense and that us laymen can understand??? I think I`ll go to the copshop round the corner and see if they can give me a definite answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do get some clarification from the police, it'll be interesting to hear it, DD.

This person seemed to find himself in the same position as yourself, but unfortunately there's no indication of how the situation was resolved — if indeed it was.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dvla/124764-driving-licence-revoked-took.html
    http://forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jspa?threadID=1200180840&tstart=200&mod=1198801019260
  • DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh bloody hell!!!
    This is silly. :confused:

`Revoking` means to me that something has been taken away. I asked the DVLA if I could still drive on my licence and she said yes. So why does their letter tell me that they have taken it away??

Why can`t officials and their minions send letters that make proper sense and that us laymen can understand??? I think I`ll go to the copshop round the corner and see if they can give me a definite answer.
    Try posting into the "Speeding and The Judicial Process" forum on this site http://forums.pepipoo.com
    Good luck.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also recieved one of these letters a few years ago. It is nothing more than scare tactics, as when you speak to them they say it changes nothing with yoru licence and you can carry on driving as you woudl before. However if you do not send whatever it is they are after off to them then things will be very different.
    It is just worded to get you to comply.

With me it was sending back the paperwork re a speeding ticket. We had sent it back, but it appeared that they never recieved it. Sorted very quickly and easily though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so glad I have seen this topic.

We are running licence checks on all our drivers at work and one of them has come back as showing licence revoked.

I am guessing it is the same thing or for very similar reasons.

However this guy's licence was revoked two years ago - so I take it he could have driven legitimately for 12 months after it was revoked, but any longer means he is effecticely driving unlicensed?

Scary stuff.
  • DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thorn1979 wrote: »
    I'm so glad I have seen this topic.

We are running licence checks on all our drivers at work and one of them has come back as showing licence revoked.

I am guessing it is the same thing or for very similar reasons.

However this guy's licence was revoked two years ago - so I take it he could have driven legitimately for 12 months after it was revoked, but any longer means he is effecticely driving unlicensed?

Scary stuff.
    I wouldn't be "guessing" anything based on this thread if i were you as a defintive answer hasn't been found yet!

If you're an employer and you sack someone on 'mis-information' then you lay yourself (or your company) wide open to an unfair dismissal tribunal.

Sounds to me like you should already know the answer to this as its fairly standard business practice to review drivers licence's every 12 months, not 24.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Doddie wrote: »
    I wouldn't be "guessing" anything based on this thread if i were you as a defintive answer hasn't been found yet!

If you're an employer and you sack someone on 'mis-information' then you lay yourself (or your company) wide open to an unfair dismissal tribunal.

Sounds to me like you should already know the answer to this as its fairly standard business practice to review drivers licence's every 12 months, not 24.

If you employ someone in which a licence is vital to their job and they lose it.
    Then that is their problem and you can sack them.
    That is one part of the emphasis of the latest drink drive ads.