Options

What do we think of the music choices so far?

Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've quite liked them all, the only one i wasn't keen on was Michelle and Brendans song, not even sure what it was but i didn't like it.

Do the pro's still pick the songs? if they do then Flavia chose well :)

Comments

• Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I love them as a couple, I wasn't overly keen on the song Vincent used for his Cha Cha with Felicity. It was an odd tempo. I didn't expect a fast and furious number, but I felt what we saw was a touch too slow.

Loved the track Flavia picked, and James and Robyn's selections for the Waltz.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    I can't believe no-one picked a Take That classic seeing as Robbie and Gary were on the show. Tsk!
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I can't believe no-one picked a Take That classic seeing as Robbie and Gary were on the show. Tsk!

They did one last night.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect I may be the lone voice on this front, but I'd say the vast majority of the cha cha choices were appalling.

The songs given to Goldie, Kara and Tina were not proper latin tracks at all: just uptempo modern dance tracks with lashing of synths. Ironic as last year I distinctly remember them saying that sound would be difficult to reproduce. It's not just that - it's totally inappropriate. There's very little variety or subtlety and it's all very cynically aimed at a younger audience. :rolleyes:

That, along with the appalling wardrobe malfunctions we've endured so far, rather makes me think that the producers seem to have forgotten who the Strictly audience is ...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they were choosing songs for a popular music show they wouldn't be too bad. But as songs for dancing too, most of the choices have been absolutely dire. Lacking in the strength of beat and rhythm that will make it easier for the celebrities to dance well to, especially the cha cha choices :mad:
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    If they were choosing songs for a popular music show they wouldn't be too bad. But as songs for dancing too, most of the choices have been absolutely dire. Lacking in the strength of beat and rhythm that will make it easier for the celebrities to dance well to, especially the cha cha choices :mad:

I didn't think Tik Tok or California Gurls were good choices. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not alone - hurrah! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    I suspect I may be the lone voice on this front, but I'd say the vast majority of the cha cha choices were appalling.

The songs given to Goldie, Kara and Tina were not proper latin tracks at all: just uptempo modern dance tracks with lashing of synths. Ironic as last year I distinctly remember them saying that sound would be difficult to reproduce. It's not just that - it's totally inappropriate. There's very little variety or subtlety and it's all very cynically aimed at a younger audience. :rolleyes:

That, along with the appalling wardrobe malfunctions we've endured so far, rather makes me think that the producers seem to have forgotten who the Strictly audience is ...

I'm part of the audience they're trying to impress, but I agree with you. It doesn't work.

I'm sure loads of the dancers requested Lady GaGa last year and they couldn't do it because, as you've already pointed out, it's difficult to produce. That was mentioned on ITT, if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I'm part of the audience they're trying to impress, but I agree with you. It doesn't work.

I'm sure loads of the dancers requested Lady GaGa last year and they couldn't do it because, as you've already pointed out, it's difficult to produce. That was mentioned on ITT, if I remember correctly.

I'm glad you mentioned that - I thought I recalled something similar.

Obviously the new producers think that remedying that problem was somehow important and now we are subject to walls of synths. :mad::( They can't use that sound for a foxtrot or a salsa, can they?! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm glad you mentioned that - I thought I recalled something similar.

Obviously the new producers think that remedying that problem was somehow important and now we are subject to walls of synths. :mad::( They can't use that sound for a foxtrot or a salsa, can they?! :eek:

yeah it's a shame..because they've had some fantastic song choices over the years.

I think they need to forget competing with X Factor and just get on with making the show as good as it can be.
  • Options
    rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    i think the song choices are quite good. if they pull them off properly !,
  • Options
    spider9spider9 Posts: 4,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Brendan and Michelle's song was great.

All of the waltz songs blended into one a bit though. :(
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The amount of new songs is VERY noticeable! As someone said, prob a very cynical attempt to keep "wiv ver kids". Mind you- WHY NOT??
    If the show wants to be revamped and re-energised then why not aim for a more contemporary sound?

I think the Enrique Inglasias and Galifornia Gurls choices tonight were v poor- esp the latter. Cringeworthy!
    (Noisettes worked though!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daisy19 wrote: »
    I've quite liked them all, the only one i wasn't keen on was Michelle and Brendans song, not even sure what it was but i didn't like it.

Do the pro's still pick the songs? if they do then Flavia chose well :)

Paloma Faith with Stone Cold Sober, which is a song I happen to love :)

~~
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

*cough* Ola did *cough*

I thought Ola picked the perfect song for a routine that had to be comedy anyway because Paul was never going to be able to do difficult steps. Clever music and choreography.

Thought Ain't No Mountain High Enough was a great choice from Aliona, and James made the perfect choice with If I Aint Got You, it was a beautiful waltz.

Loved Flavia's song choice too, great fun for the first dance and she looked like she loved every second.

Didn't like Artem's song choice, although wardrobe didn't help by giving Kara the worst outfit ever seen on Strictly!
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off the top of my head, I have the impression that the song choices and renderings have generally been bad, Several certainly didn't seem to suit the Cha Cha Cha. The Waltz is harder to go wrong with.

I wasn't impressed with the music on the launch show either.
  • Options
    Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    As much as I love them as a couple, I wasn't overly keen on the song Vincent used for his Cha Cha with Felicity. It was an odd tempo. I didn't expect a fast and furious number, but I felt what we saw was a touch too slow.

Loved the track Flavia picked, and James and Robyn's selections for the Waltz.
    Sid i agree Felicitys song was an odd tempo. I quite liked the dance version of Sunny when it was brought out a few years ago but it really didn't sound right the other night.

The songs given to Goldie, Kara and Tina were not proper latin tracks at all: just uptempo modern dance tracks with lashing of synths.
    I don't mind any song really aslong as it sounds ok, and the band obviously struggle with the dance songs, but i can see them being used alot this year. I wonder how much input the new producer had in the song choices.
    I didn't think Tik Tok or California Gurls were good choices. :(
    That was used on DWTS this year, make of that what you will ;)
    Paloma Faith with Stone Cold Sober, which is a song I happen to love :)

~~

Ah that's what it was, tks :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    Gawd how much did I drink last night?:o

Can't believe I forgot Could it be Tragic, Bruno coming out with the best joke of the night:D
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Kristinas song choice was very strange for a cha cha
  • Options
    GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    I prefer the dances and music to be more traditional - but I know to keep younger audience viewers they have to use more up to date music - which is fine but I have felt this year they have gone all out to get the younger audience, sexing up the dancing, the outfits are barely there right from the start, and the music is very up to date.

I don't mind a mixture and am happy they want to keep a varied age audience but if it goes too far just for the younger audience I will lose interest. I felt that the cha cha chas in particular weren't really danced like cha cha chas but that has more to do with the newer professional dancers choreography.

I'll give it a chance though, and I have enjoyed the entertainment so far, despite me preferring the traditional dances.

Certainly enjoyed Gary and Robbie last night - that song has really grown on me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,113
    Forum Member

Then miraculously, they were able to play 'Just Dance' for Brian & Kristina's pro dance in the final.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Felicity & Vincent [Cha-Cha] Sunny - Poor. Too fast and no percussion to mark out the Cha-Cha beats.

Scott & Natalie [Slow Waltz] I Never Loved A Man - Good. Correct tempo and clear beats.

Goldie & Kristina [Cha-Cha] Tik Tok - Good. Not my favourite, but strict tempo and strong beats.

Patsy & Robin [Slow Waltz] When I Need Love - OK, but slightly too fast.

Matt & Aliona [Cha-Cha] Ain't No Mountain High Enough -OK - bit cheesy and X-factory. Has this been used before?

Pamela & James [Slow Waltz] If I Ain't Got You - Obvious choice. Slightly too fast.

Paul & Ola [Cha-Cha] Could It Be Magic - This is fine - slow enough & clear enough.

Jimi & Flavia [Cha-Cha] Don't Upset the Rhythm - Not good. Usual BBC shoe-horning a modern song into a dance. Too fast, and just doesn't have the nice staccato feel the Cha-Cha needs.

Peter & Erin [Slow Waltz] Take It To The Limit - Used before. Meh

Michelle & Brendan [Cha-Cha] Stone Cold Sober - Worst Cha-Cha song in the selection. Too much change in percussion and no Cha-Cha beat. This song probably impeded Michelle's dancing.

Gavin & Katya [Slow Waltz] You Light Up My Life - Nice strict tempo song, but has it been used before??

Tina & Jared [Cha-Cha] California Gurls - OK. I've heard this used in dance classes, and it has the right tempo, but it's a bit too electronic to really kick-ass as a Cha-Cha.

Ann & Anton [Slow Waltz] My Cherie - Nice old-fashioned song. Like it.

Kara & Artem [Cha-Cha] I Like It - Horrible, synthy, too fast, no clear percussion.

So in general the Waltzes were pretty good, the Cha-Chas pretty bad. Disappointing that there were no 'Latin' music-style Cha-Chas (or, we can only wish, a Spanish language Cha-Cha).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do agree with ianswaiting.
    What is wrong with the band just playing a song originally written as a cha cha or a waltz?
    They have so many to choose from without turning a pop song to fit into a particular rhythm.