Films that should not be remade

13»

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    Definitely remakes.
    I think if it's a tv drama then it's their version of the book but if it was a movie I'd just think of it as a remake.

Seems a strange view to me, so we will just agree to disagree.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Interesting point, or does it just mean the book isn't as well known as the film. As an example if someone decided they wanted to film "Romeo & Juliet" or "A Christmas Carol", would people consider these remakes or re-telling of the books?

Retelling of the books. I certainly wouldn't think of a new Romeo and Juliet - or any other Shakespeare - as a remake of an earlier film. And look how many different films there have been of Jane Austen's books. They are adaptations, not remakes of earlier films.

Obviously Shakespeare and Austen are very well known, but no matter who the author is, I still think of them as new adaptations of the book. Everyone said the 2010 True Grit was a remake of the 1969 film, but it wasn't....it was a new adaptation of the book.

EDIT: Unless the first film changes the book/play storyline significantly, and a second film sticks with those changes, rather than going back to the original source material. Then I guess it would be a remake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    The only positive thing about remakes and new adaptations is it does introduce the stories (in some form) to a new generation and not allow films to die and disappear.

I'm 49. many years ago there was always an film on a Saturday afternoon, usually a Hollywood musical, John Wayne or one of the Hope & Crosby Road to..... movies. People would watch that and then turn over at 4pm to watch Big Daddy killing of wrestling. lol

The films I grew up watching have all but disappeared. Unless they are specific films you rarely if at all see films with Gregory Peck, James Stewart, Jimmy Cagney, Marlene Dietrich, Katherine Hepburn etc. on the main terrestrial channels.

If they were to remake and no doubt ruin "Angels with dirty faces" at least younger people will get to see it and the story of the film.

It's annoying that Disney has this vault of live action films that aren't on DVD or if they are they are hard to get hold of, yet they will keep rereleasing "for a limited period" the same animations. They would probably seem really dated and silly but films like Blackbeard's ghost, The cat from outer space, and The greatest athlete in the world (could prove tricky to release) could be enjoyed by young kids of today just as much as when I was growing up. I'm sure the parents would be happy knowing that as old and as silly as they are, they can leave the kids watching these harmless films and not worry about them having something they would rather their kid didn't see or hear.
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alien
    Goodfellas
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Pulp Fiction
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Once Upon a Time in America' is so superb and I hope is never remade.