Is Leicester really a fitting resting place for Richard III?

Comments

• HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For comparison:

Peterborough cathedral

Burial place of Katherine of Aragon

Worcester cathedral

Burial place of King John

Westminster Abbey

Burial place of Henry VII, Elizabeth I, etc.

Abbaye de Fontevraud

Burial place of Henry II and Richard I

St George's Chapel, Windsor

Burial place of Henry VI, Edward IV, Elizabeth Woodville, Henry VIII, Jane Seymour, Charles I, etc.

Leicester 'cathedral'

Burial place of Richard III

Honestly, it makes me want to retch with the sheer ignominy of it.

http://hathawaysofhaworth.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/leic-2.jpg

That should be a meme. :) It's a bit like saying:

Behold!

Lo!

Furthermore!

Verily!

Oh and... this too!

ETA: I knew once the cause was lost I'd exploit it for its comedy value.:cool:
  • collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I knew once the cause was lost I'd exploit it for its comedy value.:cool:

If you would just be kind enough to let us know when the bullsh1t stops and the comedy starts. ;-)
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    That should be a meme. :) It's a bit like saying:

Behold!

Lo!

Furthermore!

Verily!

Oh and... this too!

ETA: I knew once the cause was lost I'd exploit it for its comedy value.:cool:

*teehee* :D
    Forum Member
    collit wrote: »
    If you would just be kind enough to let us know when the bullsh1t stops and the comedy starts. ;-)

I think the comedy started when someone first said: 'oh I know! we can rebury Richard III in the local parish church'!
    Forum Member
    Work to begin on preparing the 'cathedral' for the re-interment.

Says Dean Monteeth:
    “Now work can begin in earnest to prepare the interior of this special place to provide the permanent resting place of Britain’s last Plantagenet King."

He may be Irish but surely even Monteeth should know that Richard III wasn't "Britain's" last Plantagenet king. What a howler!

Still, judging by that accompanying photo, it's good to see the 'cathedral' is carrying on its good work in giving shelter to the homeless...

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Richard-III-tomb-preparation-work-start-Leicester/story-21349167-detail/story.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Things must be getting a bit desperate if you have to pick on a single misused word to base your post on..........:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ay, OK, I'm being unfair. There are uglier churches. It could be worse.:o

Or maybe even worse than that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Work to begin on preparing the 'cathedral' for the re-interment.

Says Dean Monteeth:

He may be Irish but surely even Monteeth should know that Richard III wasn't "Britain's" last Plantagenet king. What a howler!

Still, judging by that accompanying photo, it's good to see the 'cathedral' is carrying on its good work in giving shelter to the homeless...

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Richard-III-tomb-preparation-work-start-Leicester/story-21349167-detail/story.html

Oh come on, you can do better than this. Are you running out of material? :D
    Forum Member
    Thibault wrote: »
    Things must be getting a bit desperate if you have to pick on a single misused word to base your post on..........:)

Not really. I wouldn't dream of saying that Richard III was 'King of Britain', and neither would anyone else who remotely knew what they were talking about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Not really. I wouldn't dream of saying that Richard III was 'King of Britain', and neither would anyone else who remotely knew what they were talking about.

Well, who made the mistake, the Dean or the Journalist? Another thing we don't know.

It must be wonderful to be a person who never makes a mistake, or misuses a word :D

Of course, you are a person who confuses opinion with fact.........
    Forum Member
    Ay, OK, I'm being unfair. There are uglier churches. It could be worse.:o

Or maybe even worse than that.

I quite like the last one, as a building anyway if not specifically as a church. At least it doesn't look like this:

http://timgarratt.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/screen-shot-2012-04-14-at-16-09-27.png

:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like the last one, as a building anyway if not specifically as a church. At least it doesn't look like this:

http://timgarratt.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/screen-shot-2012-04-14-at-16-09-27.png

:o

Heheh. Don't let Leicester see that giant shopping basket design. They'll bulldoze the church they've got and replace it with something more... apt.:)
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as he's not buried in France, I'm apathetic to the whole debacle.
    Forum Member
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    As long as he's not buried in France, I'm apathetic to the whole debacle.

Given his Plantagenet origins (via Geoffrey of Anjou and the daughter of Henry I) it would probably be more fitting than Leicester!

I'd love to see Henry II and Richard I back in England though.
    Forum Member
    Heheh. Don't let Leicester see that giant shopping basket design. They'll bulldoze the church they've got and replace it with something more... apt.:)

Here's what the nave of Leicester 'cathedral' will look like after the rearrangement of the interior:

http://www.theurbandeveloper.com/wp-content/uploads/238378795883160.jpg

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's what the nave of Leicester 'cathedral' will look like after the rearrangement of the interior:

http://www.theurbandeveloper.com/wp-content/uploads/238378795883160.jpg

:D

Alas. Their god no longer has the punters. Unless it's a vintage fair/cake sale. :cry:

I'd anticipate that a couple of months in, after the initial interest has diminished, their tourist trade is gonna look more like this.
    Forum Member
    Alas. Their god no longer has the punters. Unless it's a vintage fair/cake sale. :cry:

I'd anticipate that a couple of months in, after the initial interest has diminished, their tourist trade is gonna look more like this.

I'm still amazed that the 'cathedral' actually has street markets taking place in the nave. Maybe Monteeth should pay more attention to his bible instead of his scarves:
    And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves. And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275788/Article/images/19808459/5299123-large.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh just get a room!
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For comparison:

Peterborough cathedral

Burial place of Katherine of Aragon

And the outside isnt too bad either :D Here are some pictures I took a couple of weeks ago and put on my Tumblr http://eadfrith.tumblr.com/post/91356531579/taken-a-few-weeks-ago-a-few-of-my-own-recent
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the outside isnt too bad either :D Here are some pictures I took a couple of weeks ago and put on my Tumblr http://eadfrith.tumblr.com/post/91356531579/taken-a-few-weeks-ago-a-few-of-my-own-recent

Wow. Lovely shots. This is one I've never been to - must go, now. Doesn't quite look like anywhere else, that one...

We recently went to Ripon Cathedral, which is not massive, but seems to have bits of all different ages, including some intriguing Saxon and Norman bits. (We didn't see the 7thC crypt but are definitely going back soon to take a look). We went at night, just randomly there for some other reason, but noticed it was all lit up so went to the doors and the lovely choir people let us look round whilst they were clearing up.

Going from your Tumblr name, think you might like Ripon!
    Forum Member

Lovely photos :) The west front is truly monumental, isn't it. It always surprises me that it was 'just' an abbey and makes you realise how spectacular some pre-Reformation abbeys were in England. (Nice Tumblr account too!)

Kimbolton, where Katherine of Aragon died, is a good 30 miles from Peterborough. They could've buried her in the local parish church but of course this would've been vastly inappropriate, even with her reduced status. She originally wished to be buried at a Franciscan monastery but it had been dissolved by the time of her death.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh now that I've started posting on this thread, I'm going to show some interest in the case. What I want to know is, did the county borders of Leicestershire and Yorkshire exist when Richard III was alive? If the boundaries (as we know them) have only been around for a century or two, then maybe it doesn't matter so much whether he was buried in York or Leicester.

I mean, come one, what's in a name, really?
    Forum Member
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    Oh now that I've started posting on this thread, I'm going to show some interest in the case. What I want to know is, did the county borders of Leicestershire and Yorkshire exist when Richard III was alive? If the boundaries (as we know them) have only been around for a century or two, then maybe it doesn't matter so much whether he was buried in York or Leicester.

I mean, come one, what's in a name, really?

Most of the shires and counties in England are ancient and go back to Anglo-Saxon times. The Normans carried on using them for admin purposes. Leicestershire's boundaries have been pretty much unchanged since the Domesday survey in the 11th century. The historical county of Yorkshire is even more ancient although it was so big that it was subdivided into three Ridings.

All of England's historical counties have their own strong identities. I lived much of my life in Devonshire and it's quite distinct from Dorset and Somerset to the east and Cornwall to the west.

The main issue with the reburial of Richard III is that he should be re-interred somewhere that is fitting, appropriate and commensurate with his status as a King of England. A former parish church in a town where he was taken after Bosworth can't begin to compare with either one of the Royal burial sites at Windsor or Westminster or with one of the greatest Gothic buildings in Europe at the heart of a county he lived in and ruled for much of his life i.e York Minster. There's just no contest.

Even Henry VIII didn't heap further indignity upon his wife by burying her in the local parish church at Kimbolton, which is essentially the treatment Richard III is getting at Leicester.

Katherine of Aragon ended up here:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Peterborough_interior.JPG

Richard III is going to end up here:
    http://www.docbrown.info/docspics/midlands/leicester2/Img_0476.jpg

It is, of course, a disgrace and an outrage.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member

Though I'm pretty sure the CFCE definitely says something in their guidelines not to rebuild churches to look like wicker baskets, I can really see that as a "Towards Shopping" feature somewhere along the R3 trail.

Be careful what you wish for, as unfortunately one of Leicester's other historic churches, St Mary de Castro, has had to have its unsafe spire bulldozed in the last few months and an appeal is under way for funds for a new one, so who knows. As it's where the House of York was invented, I'd like to see something in sympathy with St Martins 300 yards away and where nearly six hundred years later it's going to end. More exciting times for my home town.
    Forum Member
    Though I'm pretty sure the CFCE definitely says something in their guidelines not to rebuild churches to look like wicker baskets, I can really see that as a "Towards Shopping" feature somewhere along the R3 trail.

Be careful what you wish for, as unfortunately one of Leicester's other historic churches, St Mary de Castro, has had to have its unsafe spire bulldozed in the last few months and an appeal is under way for funds for a new one, so who knows. As it's where the House of York was invented, I'd like to see something in sympathy with St Martins 300 yards and nearly six hundred years later it's going to end. More exciting times for my home town.

Perhaps it's fortunate Leicester destroyed most of its historical fabric when it did if it's struggling even to maintain the few fragments that are left.

I wonder why Soulsby hasn't put his hand in his pocket and given money to replace the spire. He seems to have a bottomless wallet where Leicester's 'history' is concerned...