Top Of The Pops 1979 BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Now we finally know the fate of DLT, here are all the performances that we will be deprived of for the rest of the year.

U.K. Subs - Tomorrow's Girls (13/9)
    Frantique - Strut Your Funky Stuff (27/9)
    The Skids - Charade (27/9)
    John Du Cann - Don't Be a Dummy (27/9)
    The Nolan Sisters - Spirit Body and Soul (27/9)
    New Musik - Straight Lines (18/10)
    The Undertones - You’ve Got My Number (Why Don’t You Use It?) (18/10)
    The Selecter - On My Radio (18/10), (8/11)
    Matchbox - Rockabilly Rebel (8/11), (22/11)
    Madness - One Step Beyond (8/11), (22/11)
    Dan-I - Monkey Chop (8/11), (22/11)
    Sham 69 – You’re A Better Man Than I (8/11)
    The Greedies - A Merry Jingle (20/12)
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now we finally know the fate of DLT, here are all the performances that we will be deprived of for the rest of the year.

There's only Frantique out of all those that I like!
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope the 'contraband' appears elsewhere then!
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't seem a lot, no major classics missed out on. Although I am really disappointed about missing One Step Beyond Madness. Iconic performance from them where they dance through the audience round the stage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame about the Greedies - the still missed wonderful voice of Phil Lynott and a motlely assembly of Pistols on a great Christmas song ... :(
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Doesn't seem a lot, no major classics missed out on. Although I am really disappointed about missing One Step Beyond Madness. Iconic performance from them where they dance through the audience round the stage.

"no major classics missed out" ???? You DO realise that we're never gonna get The Greedies "A Merry Jingle". :D:D
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd certainly consider The Selecter's 'On My Radio' a classic.

Still, my disappointment is assuaged since I saw The Selecter performing it (and lots more) live earlier this year. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "no major classics missed out" ???? You DO realise that we're never gonna get The Greedies "A Merry Jingle". :D:D

Oh yeh i forgot about that one. And the selector On My Radio is also a classic. What I think the bbc need to do is make a compilation programme of all the missed performances, instead of a Big Hits programme.
  • 10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yeh i forgot about that one. And the selector On My Radio is also a classic. What I think the bbc need to do is make a compilation programme of all the missed performances, instead of a Big Hits programme.

So the greatest ever episode with Madness, The Selector and The Specials from 19th October 1979 is not going to be shown?
    That's rough.
    And all because of an extremely dubious and unsafe DLT conviction too.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    So the greatest ever episode with Madness, The Selector and The Specials from 19th October 1979 is not going to be shown?
    That's rough.

Stinks doesn't it? :( why can't they just show the bands and not the links for that one show? bot that I think it's needed, it's not exactly crime of the century is it?
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's rough.

In what way was his conviction dubious and unsafe? Do you have access to information that the court didn't? IMO far from the greatest episode ever of TOTP.
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's rough.

The conviction is neither dubious nor unsafe.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In what way was his conviction dubious and unsafe? Do you have access to information that the court didn't? IMO far from the greatest episode ever of TOTP.

I totally agree on both counts!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So yet another famous DJ arrested. This time not an ex Top of the Pops presenter thank god! But Dr Fox from Capital Radio. Not sure of the details as of yet, but when is this witch hunt going to end?!

It begs the question, what if it had been Peter Powell or David Jenson, would there be any point in continuing with the reruns?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the Dlt one last night.

Did Gerry Rafferty 'live' in his studio?

His 3 singles featured recently, all the videos were shot in the same place!
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    Now that we know for certain there'll be no return of the DLT shows,

Why not? Why should other people suffer by being deprived of watching Top of the Pops?

In the 1979 the presenter hadn't yet committed any crimes.

If one edition had been dual-hosted with Saville and had featured Rolf Harris, then I could understand, but ...
  • 10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Obviously you didn't hear a certain podcast apperently made by the plaintiff. To me it at the very least casts doubt on the verdict.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So yet another famous DJ arrested. This time not an ex Top of the Pops presenter thank god! But Dr Fox from Capital Radio. Not sure of the details as of yet, but when is this witch hunt going to end?!

It begs the question, what if it had been Peter Powell or David Jenson, would there be any point in continuing with the reruns?

thank heavens Paul Gambacinni was never a regular TOTP presenter...his case is still pending.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thank heavens Paul Gambacinni was never a regular TOTP presenter...his case is still pending.

Didn't he co present one with Mike Read for some reason?
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member

It was reported that two women went to the police independently of each other and made the accusations of sexual assault against Neil Fox. As a result, he was arrested and taken to a police station for questioning. It's not a witch hunt, just simple police procedure.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's rough.

I thought that episode was a Jimmy Saville-hosted edition? Or am I misremembering?

If DLT did what he was found guilty of, obviously that's not a good thing. But he's not the only person to have done that - so why should he be singled out while others get away with it?

I'm no DLT fan, by any means - but I do think he's been an easy target, while other, more high profile sex pests have escaped the limelight.

And how ironic that this has ruined his career while a woman who was found guilty of assault has her criminal record airbrushed away and gets maximum camera time on ITV's biggest Saturday night entertainment show.

One rule for one …
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    And how ironic that this has ruined his career while a woman who was found guilty of assault has her criminal record airbrushed away and gets maximum camera time on ITV's biggest Saturday night entertainment show.

One rule for one …

Has she ever been directly employed by the TV company broadcasting the show?
  • VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    I don't visit this thread much as it just seems full of whinging about episodes not being shown, and I click on today and...

Just have a look on youtube and most of those performances are on there - here's New Musik:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ysr0A14o24

Love the comment about Orville.
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The repeats would be finished if any of the other regular DJs were arrested, all of this stuff only came out after the re-runs commenced also. Makes me wonder weather those early re-runs in 2011 where we saw JS episodes provoked some of it. Just strange that so many years passed and nothing was said, I guess it was the year of his death also.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has she ever been directly employed by the TV company broadcasting the show?

Well, they certainly must have invested in her as a member of Girls Aloud when they did Popstars: the Rivals.

I take your point, but I don't think it's that different. One person's misdemeanours are used to rubbish his career, the other's are swept under the carpet.