Options

Alien: Isolation

Comments

• Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As not the most patient of people, this game is certainly testing me at the moment. To be honest I just turned it off tonight because I couldn't be bothered dying again. I can start to see where IGN might be coming from but hoping I can still get fun out of it.
  • Options
    danny_gamerdanny_gamer Posts: 3,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sega/CA have finally made a game worthy of the ALIEN name...I love it!

Genuinely my game of the year.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NerdyMagee wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else has said this but there are times when I'm playing where the whole environment doesn't load and I'm left running through space, waiting a ridiculously long time for it all to pop in, bit by bit. I'm on PS3. The amount of times this glitch has gotten me killed is crazy. Amazing game otherwise.

Haven't got Alien Isolation yet, but this is basically why I made the leap to next-gen (well, that and a great deal I got).

With so many next-gen titles still being released on last-gen it is tempting to stay put - but the experiences are vastly inferior as they're not the lead development platform. Watch Dogs suffered badly on PS3 - one mission you need to go out to a lighthouse, with walkthroughs telling you to take a boat. Only problem is the PS3 version does not spawn boats so you needed to swim!

Little things like that, plus the obvious graphical differences, were the reason I would never buy a 'next-gen' game on last-gen again.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking of getting this tomorrow but read in a review that there are some hacking timed mini games . They are bad enough on watch dogs will be much worse on this I'd imagine with the bloody Xenemorph after you..
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking of getting this tomorrow but read in a review that there are some hacking timed mini games . They are bad enough on watch dogs will be much worse on this I'd imagine with the bloody Xenemorph after you..

Only a few and not that frequent. Used for opening doors, or accessing computers. simple pattern matching for most part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting the hang of this now. Also finding that they are pretty generous with save points to be honest.

I'm at a bit where the alien isn't appearing so I'm just sprinting around enjoying the freedom!
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the medical spire- just had a twenty-minute game of hide and seek with the bastard. It won.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    I'm in the medical spire- just had a twenty-minute game of hide and seek with the bastard. It won.

Did you enjoy it though?
  • Options
    kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm quite near the end and I still have no idea how you are supposed to kill the androids, especially now that I'm at a point where all my weapons have been taken off me! I've tried sneaking up behind them and bashing their heads in but after two whacks they're still alive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Did you enjoy it though?

Oh yes. Went back in for a rematch, and eventually I managed to live to fight- well, hide, sob and shit myself- another day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes. Went back in for a rematch, and eventually I managed to live to fight- well, hide, sob and shit myself- another day.

That made me laugh. Because I did the same. It's a game I don't mind repeatedly dying in because it's always my fault. I have not yet had a 'cheap' death.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Did you enjoy it though?

Funny you should ask that.

I'm a little way ahead of Stoatie and I haven't actually played for a couple of days because, I guess, I just got kinda sick of it.

One of the guys from Tested.com mentioned that he didn't like the jump-scares in Doom 3 so he wasn't looking forward to playing A:I and that reminded me of something related.
    I liked the atmosphere in Doom 3 but I didn't like the way every dark corridor had a sliding panel with a couple of baddies hidden behind it and, in the end, it just started to feel "cheap" the way they kept on leaping out at you, even though it did make you jump every time it happened.

It's kind of hard to explain but I'm starting to feel the same way about A:I.
    I know the whole point of it is to make you feel tense and vulnerable but I'm not sure it's actually enjoyable to play a game that constantly makes you feel that way.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    I think I'm quite near the end and I still have no idea how you are supposed to kill the androids, especially now that I'm at a point where all my weapons have been taken off me! I've tried sneaking up behind them and bashing their heads in but after two whacks they're still alive.

They get tougher. At the core plant where you go down on the lift. I fired shotgun, bullets and bolt gun and none of them did anything. Basically hide and run for it.
    Think I'm near end. Didn't think I'd seen last of the aliens. I wonder if the end will be mother alien?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    Matt35 wrote: »
    They get tougher. At the core plant where you go down on the lift. I fired shotgun, bullets and bolt gun and none of them did anything. Basically hide and run for it.
    Think I'm near end. Didn't think I'd seen last of the aliens. I wonder if the end will be mother alien?

Have you guys checked the trophy/achievement list, there are trophies for 18 missions, depending how many you have you'll know how close you are to being done
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Funny you should ask that.

I'm a little way ahead of Stoatie and I haven't actually played for a couple of days because, I guess, I just got kinda sick of it.

One of the guys from Tested.com mentioned that he didn't like the jump-scares in Doom 3 so he wasn't looking forward to playing A:I and that reminded me of something related.
    I liked the atmosphere in Doom 3 but I didn't like the way every dark corridor had a sliding panel with a couple of baddies hidden behind it and, in the end, it just started to feel "cheap" the way they kept on leaping out at you, even though it did make you jump every time it happened.

It's kind of hard to explain but I'm starting to feel the same way about A:I.
    I know the whole point of it is to make you feel tense and vulnerable but I'm not sure it's actually enjoyable to play a game that constantly makes you feel that way.

This is why I actually find myself liking that it's broken up with survivor and android encounters. When I first read about it I thought "cool, one human, one alien, sounds awesomely intimate and terrifying". And then I read about the androids and survivors and thought "oh shit, looks like it's gonna keep blowing the mood". And now I'm actually playing it. that decision makes a lot of sense. It's a big game. Just hiding in cupboards would get tedious, as would learning how to outwit just one enemy. Dunno. Not got bored yet. Aside from anything else, I'm just loving moving around on that station- it's exactly what I've been conditioned to think spooky space environments should be, and which no game has quite managed before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not picked this up yet only have a 360 at the minute so might wait it out until I get a ps4/xbox one. Does it play well enough on last gen systems or is it better to wait it out.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    This is why I actually find myself liking that it's broken up with survivor and android encounters. When I first read about it I thought "cool, one human, one alien, sounds awesomely intimate and terrifying". And then I read about the androids and survivors and thought "oh shit, looks like it's gonna keep blowing the mood". And now I'm actually playing it. that decision makes a lot of sense. It's a big game. Just hiding in cupboards would get tedious, as would learning how to outwit just one enemy. Dunno. Not got bored yet. Aside from anything else, I'm just loving moving around on that station- it's exactly what I've been conditioned to think spooky space environments should be, and which no game has quite managed before.

Have you played Doom 3?

I really did find that to be a terrifically atmospheric environment for a game (it's actually very similar to A:I, until it goes all weird anyway) but the constant fear of attack actually kind of ruins it IMO.

It's slightly different in A:I but the result is the same, for me at least.
    I'm actually finding that constantly having to dodge the alien is detracting from the experience of exploring the environment rather than the whole thing working together to make the game fun.

I had another crack at it this morning and I dunno if it was just a coincidence or if it's scripted but I keep getting killed when I'm just creeping along and the alien drops out of a random overhead duct for an insta-kill and that really does just feel cheap.

I don't usually bother with alternative game modes until I've finished the main game but I had a pop at Crew Expendable and Last Survivor and they give me the same feeling; sort of like dodging the alien is actually detracting from the fun that I might be having from just exploring the Nostromo.
  • Options
    kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Have you guys checked the trophy/achievement list, there are trophies for 18 missions, depending how many you have you'll know how close you are to being done

Turns out I still had like 6 missions left. Now I've got 3 and I'm getting sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The alien drool is visable dripping from an overhead duct when it is hiding there. Not cheap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you guys checked the trophy/achievement list

I have and I'm thinking the trophies for not dying once throughout the whole campaign and completing it on hard are a little out of my reach.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »
    I have and I'm thinking the trophies for not dying once throughout the whole campaign and completing it on hard are a little out of my reach.

These trophies annoy me, Creative Assembly can't have it both ways, either have checkpoints so that you don't have to repeat parts of the game and death means you are locked out the trophies or have it so that the trophies are unmissable because you are reloading a previous save when you die

When you die you reload a previous save so as far as I'm concerned I have never died on the game once, the alien has never killed me so when I finished chapter 5 I should of gotten the trophy not getting killed by the alien because if I was at any point killed by the alien I'd be forced to reload a save where I hadn't been killed by the alien so therefore the trophy should be impossible to miss but it isn't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Have you played Doom 3?

I really did find that to be a terrifically atmospheric environment for a game (it's actually very similar to A:I, until it goes all weird anyway) but the constant fear of attack actually kind of ruins it IMO.

It's slightly different in A:I but the result is the same, for me at least.
    I'm actually finding that constantly having to dodge the alien is detracting from the experience of exploring the environment rather than the whole thing working together to make the game fun.

I had another crack at it this morning and I dunno if it was just a coincidence or if it's scripted but I keep getting killed when I'm just creeping along and the alien drops out of a random overhead duct for an insta-kill and that really does just feel cheap.

I don't usually bother with alternative game modes until I've finished the main game but I had a pop at Crew Expendable and Last Survivor and they give me the same feeling; sort of like dodging the alien is actually detracting from the fun that I might be having from just exploring the Nostromo.

I kind of agree about Doom 3- it feels like it should be a survival horror game, but it plays like, well, Doom. It's a bit of a disconnect. I think of it more as a heavy metal album cover than a horror movie, if that makes any sense.

The one sequence in A:I which I did think was a little cheap involving ceiling vents was a (presumably scripted) bit where the alien is in pretty much every vent along a corridor. This was fine, because it feels like it's tracking you. However, up ahead a survivor had made some noise and then the alien appeared from the OTHER end of the corridor and pwned his ass. That kind of broke the immersion for me a little bit- sure, it's technically possible, but you have to make a lot of excuses.

Other than that, though, I've found very little in the way of "cheap" death, and I've been paying way more attention to the floor...
    These trophies annoy me, Creative Assembly can't have it both ways, either have checkpoints so that you don't have to repeat parts of the game and death means you are locked out the trophies or have it so that the trophies are unmissable because you are reloading a previous save when you die

When you die you reload a previous save so as far as I'm concerned I have never died on the game once, the alien has never killed me so when I finished chapter 5 I should of gotten the trophy not getting killed by the alien because if I was at any point killed by the alien I'd be forced to reload a save where I hadn't been killed by the alien so therefore the trophy should be impossible to miss but it isn't

So basically you want a trophy for something you haven't achieved?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be a different 'counter'. If you die it'll store it as deaths = 1 or something. This would be not a value that is saved in the same place necessarily. It'll probably be in a system settings file. So when you save game data gets saved but so does death data. Death data is not reloaded thus it knows you have died.
    If that makes sense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I won't be buying this as I can't 'do' survival horror, the stress level is too high! Saying that I have enjoyed watching a play through series on uTube. The graphics and atmosphere do you look superb but watching someone else play is far less scary.
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the general consensus on this? I'm on a tiny slither of a fence about picking this up for PS4 (I'm a huge fan of the first film, generally love atmospheric/scary things) but at the same time reviews like the IGN one make me wonder whether it will just become a slog and I'll never finish it. DOesn't help that there's so many games I want to get coming out next month :/