Options

Divergent?? Excited??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
Forum Member
http://youtu.be/Oj_dADlZNiI

Divergent comes out next month.

Are you excited? Do you think it'll be a big hit with audiences like The Hunger Games and Twilight?

Does shailene Woodley have the potential to make this a huge franchise?

Comments

• Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Do you think it'll be a big hit with audiences like The Hunger Games and Twilight?

Does shailene Woodley have the potential to make this a huge franchise?

No, to both.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it should do reasonably well. I like Shailene Woodley and I think she has a bright future ahead of her.:)
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the first book, but I think the entire imaging of the marketing has been far to close to the Hunger Games. Obviously it has similar themes, personally think they should have been more distinctive.

We'll see though, but there have been many YA franchises fail miserably recently at the first hurdle. vampire Academy particularly strange as it got pretty good reviews.

If I had to put money on it, I'd say this one would be another fail, but who knows.
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Shailene Woodley is a good actor (though I say this having only seen her in The Descendants) but I'm not sure she has the ability to carry a franchise in the way that Jennifer Lawrence has with The Hunger Games - and that's not just her acting skills, but also her personality. She doesn't have the x factor that J-Law does, or if she does it hasn't come out yet.

Neither did Kristen Stewart, but did anybody actually go to see those movies for her? As far as I'm aware, all the hype over Twilight was over the male leads. Divergent looks like it's going for that market too, with a lot of the publicity focussing on shirtless pictures of Theo James (who has a lot to do to convince me he is Four, what I've seen in the trailers is leaving me cold).
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to see this Mainly for the lead actress. Only ever seen Miss Woodley in The Descendants, who was incredible, was golden globe nominated and for me outshone the likes of George Clooney. She's been hotly tipped for huge things for years and with her television series now come to an end, it seems her career is now in full gear.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen The Descendants, but I wasn't particularly impressed with Shailene Woodley's performance in The Spectacular Now, which is the only movie I've ever seen her in. Certainly nothing that suggested to me that she could lead a major franchise.

To be honest the only reason I'm interested in seeing this is to see how similar to The Hunger Games it is. The way they've marketed it is going to invite comparison, which may well not work in their favour given how well-reviewed THG and Jennifer Lawrence's performances in those movies in particular have been.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I saw the first trailer in cinema I originally was looking forward to the film but upon latter trailers it just seems like a bad Harry Potter/Hunger Games knock off shipped out to capitalise on the "young novel" trend. Plus I don't like Shailene Woodley as an actress and can't figure out why. Something about her irks me.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    I wanted to read the book first, is it worth it???

im a male in his 30s but loved the hunger games trilogy?
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your gender and age shouldn't stop you reading anything
  • Options
    jazzyminajazzymina Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    First book was really good. Second was Ok. Third book was crap, especially the ending..

The film looks crap tbh, they casted the wrong actors for Tris and Four, especially Four but I hope i am proved wrong and the film is good :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

No I didn't say it would stop me but sometimes ive been recommended books that were for a younger age group and they bored me senseless
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's nowhere near as satisfying for an adult to read as The Hunger Games trilogy. Though there are interesting themes that could be explored, they are sidelined for an overblown, tedious and improbable love story. The characterisation also leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Revenga wrote: »
    It's nowhere near as satisfying for an adult to read as The Hunger Games trilogy. Though there are interesting themes that could be explored, they are sidelined for an overblown, tedious and improbable love story. The characterisation also leaves a lot to be desired.

OK thanks that's what I meant, but im curious might give the 1st a go :)
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Jayk12 wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/Oj_dADlZNiIAre you excited? Do you think it'll be a big hit with audiences like The Hunger Games and Twilight?
    I wouldn't raise your hopes too high.

Currently has nothing like the pre-release buzz that those titans enjoyed, but that could increase as the release date nears. Boxoffice.com predict a $55m US opening & $135m checkout, and it could do similar or even slightly better business abroad.

Nothing groundbreaking of course, but it looks like it'll fare better than other recent wannabe-franchise stiffs. And via the capable hands of Neil Burger (The Illusionist, Limitless), they may have crafted something suitable for an audience greater than its target demograph.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member

Well as said above your age shouldn't stop you. However to me they were terrible. Such an obvious Christian allegory.
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I excited? No.

It loos like a rip off of multiple YA franchsies among other things.
  • Options
    KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried reading the book, but it was a real slog to get through. The author seemed to be doing her very best to avoid descriptions in favour of maintaining the pace of action. The characters suffered as a result. But this seems to be common in Young Adult Sci-Fi - Ender's Game was another example of 2-dimensional characters, all-action, stolid prose.

The concept was interesting, but it depends on the execution. Shailene Woodley is a great actress, but will need to breathe a lot of life into the character.
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so excited for the film. I read all the books late last year/early this year and loved them all.

I thought the first book was good (got a lot better towards the end), the second book was excellent and the third was good but not as good as the first two. I guess the third book is the hardest to write as I also thought the third Hunger Games book wasn't as good as the first two.

This'll probably the first film I buy advanced tickets for since Star Trek: First Contact.

Also, to the bloke in his 30s wondering whether to read them, do it. I'm in my (early) 30s and I enjoyed them.
  • Options
    lizmlizm Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I loved the Hunger games trilogy. I started reading Divergent and stopped. In my opinion it's a poor copy! I could see so many similarities between the books that it started to get on my nerves! I wont be viewing the film. I'll just wait patiently for the mocking jay movie :)
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this last night .

it's very much in the vein of the Hunger Games movies . I haven't read the books , it was ok , but it just felt so familiar , every scene I felt I'd seen a hundred times .

the business with the different factions could've been interesting but they didn't do much with it .

I usually like Kate Winslett but she wasn't very good in this .

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing Kate Winslet in this as ever - (which is probably the only reason I'll actually go along and watch it on its release).
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing Kate Winslet in this as ever - (which is probably the only reason I'll actually go along and watch it on its release).

she's not in it much .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she's not in it much .

Oh well, what a shame.

May not bother then lol.
  • Options
    standinmanstandinman Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    I watched it not up to much mind you the minutes that Kate Winslet is in it are ok ,she isn't in it that much !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Saw this last night .

it's very much in the vein of the Hunger Games movies . I haven't read the books , it was ok , but it just felt so familiar , every scene I felt I'd seen a hundred times .

the business with the different factions could've been interesting but they didn't do much with it .

I usually like Kate Winslett but she wasn't very good in this .

I would agree with this. I haven't read the book. I had read The Hunger Games before seeing the film so deliberately didn't do the same for this film. So I went in knowing nothing and with no expectations.

I found it at best ok but many times, dull and boring. This hasn't made me want to rush out and get the book, or the next one in the series. I don't care if a sequel isn't made. Unless it does good business I don't think one will be.

The main lead I found bland and unlikeable. Admittedly I'm not female or even close to her age, whatever age that is supposed to be. Although I'm sure she wasn't supposed to be, she did come across as an Katniss "wannabe."

I think that was also part of the problem with the film for me. Why did the main lead have to be female? Before people jump on me for being sexist blah blah blah, what I mean is we have had this, The Hunger Games, Twilight etc all female lead and they all have that common theme of he fancies her, she fancies him, when are they gong to get together kind of thing. Great if you are a teenage girl, but for other people, particularly guys it's hard to really give a toss about.
    As I say I've never read the Divergent book but the minute I saw "Four" I said that's the love interest that is the they have feelings and blah blah blah. So very predictable.
    Had the lead in this been male we would have at least been spared that stuff. This felt like Twilight meets The Hunger Games.

I'm glad they didn't do much with the factions as that would have made it even more like The Huger Games. You call them districts, I'll call them factions.
    I'm assuming that a lot was chopped out of this adaptation because the plot was kind of confusing and poorly explained.

One of the poorer films I've seen this year 4/10