Options

Merlin Series 5 - discussion, speculation and spoilers (in tags!) (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ivyteainn wrote: »

I think you're being a bit dramatic. All this stuff about the actors "lying" like it was a personal, calculated insult...

They signed a five year contract, they followed through with it, and have now decided not to renew them. Hardly a crime! They're actors, they want to move on! And if they gave fans false hope that there would be a series 6, then yes that's disappointing but either- maybe they thought there was a chance, or maybe they were just having (what they thought was) a harmless joke, so as not to disappoint the fans.

As for Colin saying he thought fans would be satisfied - why do you think he was lying? Maybe he thought they would be. You seem to be taking it as a personal attack that Colin hasn't publicly expressed his "true" feelings about the finale/series 5... like you want him to say that it was rubbish and disappointing, and only then will you be satisified.

Have you not thought that Colin is showing Merlin loyalty? He might not want to criticise it. Especially as this might put other people off wanting him in their films?

You mentioned in another post that the actors are "public figures" - huh? They're actors, they act, that's their job. Not exactly public fiures.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    yafu2 wrote: »
    Would I want my husband lying to me about working late at night? No. This is why I do not date actors or entertainers.

A very important point you are missing in all of this is the fact ALL Actors/Actresses including the cast of Merlin lie for a living. They are trained liars. Many of them went to school to study how to lie better. It's a job requirement if you ever hope to have the ability to literally become someone else and manufacture emotions convincing enough to make it appear real. There is no perfect world and pinning your morality hopes on an industry where morality is more often than not challenged and stretched goes beyond absurd and straight to insane to me.

Liars are a fact of life... You either learn to take things said with a grain of salt and not be so trusting or you get taken for a ride. Right or wrong is irrelevant.

Also there is no such thing as bad publicity, controversy of this type certainly isn't going to harm the cast in any way and neither will pissing off a few fans. I doubt Bradley James would give a damn what you had to say to him in the grand scheme of things. He lives in that world every day. You just speculate about it. Chastising him for doing what he was contractually obligated as part of his job would likely go in one ear and out the other.

The premise these are children and you think you're of the moral authority to parent them is ridiculous. To be honest I'm sure they'd tell you to piss off and not really care if you supported them further.

I can see that you have lost your way. You accept someone has a right to lie to you because of who they are or what their profession is. You say it's okay that an actor lies, but not your husband. I don't know how anyone can draw a line of the truth or morality.

Bradley James would give a damn about what people like me had to say, if people like you would hold him accountable to tell the truth too. You are the enabler that allows him to lie. You make it possible for the BBC and Shine to do this to the public time after time.

Bradley James is not the real problem here. He is a victim of the system that needs to be corrected. He's just an overgrown teenager that needs his knuckles rapped. If the BBC and Shine were held accountable for the wrongfulness of their actions, than James would have never been put in a position to lie in the first place. But until you hold ALL of them accountable for a lie; the system won't change.

Lying is lying. Criminal behavior is criminal behavior. At Nuremberg, German officers said, "Mein Fuhrer told me to do it!" They were still hanged for genocide. My point being.....just because someone tells you to lie; doesn't absolve you from guilt.
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would I want my husband lying to me about working late at night? No. This is why I do not date actors or entertainers.

A very important point you are missing in all of this is the fact ALL Actors/Actresses including the cast of Merlin lie for a living. They are trained liars. Many of them went to school to study how to lie better. It's a job requirement if you ever hope to have the ability to literally become someone else and manufacture emotions convincing enough to make it appear real. There is no perfect world and pinning your morality hopes on an industry where morality is more often than not challenged and stretched goes beyond absurd and straight to insane to me.

Liars are a fact of life... You either learn to take things said with a grain of salt and not be so trusting or you get taken for a ride. Right or wrong is irrelevant.

Also there is no such thing as bad publicity, controversy over this show ending certainly isn't going to harm the cast in any way and neither will pissing off a few fans. I doubt Bradley James would give a damn what you had to say to him in the grand scheme of things. He lives in that world every day. You just speculate about it. Chastising him for doing what he was contractually obligated as part of his job would likely go in one ear and out the other.

The premise these are children and you think you're of the moral authority to parent them is ridiculous. To be honest I'm sure they'd tell you to piss off and not really care if you supported them further. Not everyone has to like you, the fact they're talking about you is plenty enough for many. A fans opinion is worth far less than you delude yourself into believing it is.
    I think you're being a bit dramatic. All this stuff about the actors "lying" like it was a personal, calculated insult...

They signed a five year contract, they followed through with it, and have now decided not to renew them. Hardly a crime! They're actors, they want to move on! And if they gave fans false hope that there would be a series 6, then yes that's disappointing but either- maybe they thought there was a chance, or maybe they were just having (what they thought was) a harmless joke, so as not to disappoint the fans.

As for Colin saying he thought fans would be satisfied - why do you think he was lying? Maybe he thought they would be. You seem to be taking it as a personal attack that Colin hasn't publicly expressed his "true" feelings about the finale/series 5... like you want him to say that it was rubbish and disappointing, and only then will you be satisified.

Have you not thought that Colin is showing Merlin loyalty? He might not want to criticise it. Especially as this might put other people off wanting him in their films?

You mentioned in another post that the actors are "public figures" - huh? They're actors, they act, that's their job. Not exactly public fiures.

I agree with you both.
    The actors signed a contract, none of us know what that contract included. They have clauses for the publicity side of things. I do not think for one moment that they would have chose to mislead their fans, they would have been told what to say and would of had to honour it.
    How do you know that they lied about a 6th series? Yes they knew if they would be part of the 6th series or not but they didn't know if everybody else had decided not to do it. Some of the cast might have been unsure of what they were doing, they could of been planning a 6th series with different cast or some different cast members. They were told what to say by their employers and I for one don't blame them in the slightest.

I don't understand why anyone would think the main cast would say anything but postive things about Merlin, they worked on the show for 5 years of course they are proud of it. Maybe they were satisfied with the finale, who's to say they lied?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, the actors are PUBLIC figures. They are known widely beyond their private lives and identified as a celebrity. They are role models that people identify with. In this case, they are widely popular with children. Their actions influence others. You need to look up a definition of public figure. If they weren't public figures, we wouldn't be discussing them now.

Colin lied - that is not contestable. His loyalty to Merlin conflicted with his bond of good faith with the public. He made a choice. There are rewards and penalties for making decisions. He kept the goodwill of the BBC and Shine at the cost of believability. He might have retained the good faith of the fans by not lying as emphatically. I applauded the honesty of Eoin and Alex. Bradley lied more severely than Colin.

No one can force you lie or tell you how to lie. Richard Wilson avoided the questions about a 6th season like a master. He has learned with age the very that I'm talking about. Colin's mistakes are that of youth.

Some of you are fanatically defending these actors because you love them. Were it Barrack O'bama or David Cameron, you would be attacking them viciously for lying. Let's hold everyone to the same standard. It would clear up many problems in this world.

I've said this once, I'll say it again. I like Colin Morgan. I voted for him in the TV awards last night. I would watch him again on television or movies. I do think that he is a sweet kid. But like any child, when they screw up, they need to be chastised. That doesn't mean I don't like him; that means I expect better from him. I want him to be better than other people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    star89 wrote: »
    I agree with you both.
    The actors signed a contract, none of us know what that contract included. They have clauses for the publicity side of things. I do not think for one moment that they would have chose to mislead their fans, they would have been told what to say and would of had to honour it.
    How do you know that they lied about a 6th series? Yes they knew if they would be part of the 6th series or not but they didn't know if everybody else had decided not to do it. Some of the cast might have been unsure of what they were doing, they could of been planning a 6th series with different cast or some different cast members. They were told what to say by their employers and I for one don't blame them in the slightest.

I don't understand why anyone would think the main cast would say anything but postive things about Merlin, they worked on the show for 5 years of course they are proud of it. Maybe they were satisfied with the finale, who's to say they lied?

I won't cover most of what you had to say, because I've said it elsewhere.

But...FYI.....the actors decided that they didn't want Series 6. The BBC and Shine wanted another year because of its success. I point this out so that the story can be assess accurately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't cover most of what you had to say, because I've said it elsewhere.

But...FYI.....the actors decided that they didn't want Series 6. The BBC and Shine wanted another year because of its success. I point this out so that the story can be assess accurately.

I'm well aware of what the actors decided thank you. I said that they didn't lie about there not being a 6th series because they didn't know what the BBC was going to do. Not all of the actors had made up their minds completely and BBC/Shine were pushing. Therefore it was not lying when they said there could be a 6th series. For all they knew some of the cast might have signed, or they might have got a different cast ect.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rtms77 wrote: »
    The sad thing is, these stories and others convey more development , complex characters than the show ever did. They present the characters in ways that the show could have used if they were not so lazy and more interested in cookie cutter plot and big events.

And also, to be fair, if you're not writing for a show which could be watched by anyone from age eight through to eight.
    rtms77 wrote: »
    Yeah, I forgot about Gwaine but your right, he was one of the few actors who wouldn't be quite and paid a heavy price for it. Same with Santiago, the moment he decided he didn't want to spend all his time with the show, they kill off Lancelot as if to say screw you. It was like a exclusive club on that show, if you complained at all or didn't worship TPTB you got screwed over.

Santiago was only ever going to be a guest star, that was the case from the first series so I don't believe his appearances had anything to do with any "punishment" theory.
    Should I be concerned that when I clicked that link Cadiva it says, 'This work could have adult content. If you proceed you have agreed that you are willing to see such content' :eek:

:p:p

Heh, it's not that bad, it's relatively tame compared to a lot of them but Morgana's an awesome character in this AU interpretation.
    L.B. wrote: »
    A small part of me though still wishes he could have found a way of not compromising his situation yet still giving some honesty in the way it ended other than “the fans are going to be satisfied” line – because clearly the majority weren’t.

I don't think you can say that the majority weren't. Even just taking the sampling on the DS poll here the majority were satisfied and rated the final episode as either Amazing or Good. It's not an overwhelming majority but it's still a definite one, a total of 220 people versus 118 who thought it was Bad or "What on Earth did they do?". And, as I've said before, I still don't think the final poll option provides an accurate reading in contrast to what would have been the usual Poor. I could easily have voted for the last option even though I absolutely loved the final episode.

Or, like I mentioned previously, he might actually be satisfied with the ending, proud of the work he and Bradley did in that final episode and in their amazing scenes together. If I was Colin I'd be incredibly proud of my acting abilities in the finale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm well aware of what the actors decided thank you. I said that they didn't lie about there not being a 6th series because they didn't know what the BBC was going to do. Not all of the actors had made up their minds completely and BBC/Shine were pushing. Therefore it was not lying when they said there could be a 6th series. For all they knew some of the cast might have signed, or they might have got a different cast ect.

I doubt very much that they didn't know what was going on. With negotiations, all the cards would have been placed on the table. The actors knew that they couldn't carry on without them. The show is about Colin and Bradley, not Merlin and Arthur.

Why is it so hard for the die-hard fans in this room to admit the truth: They lied!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    I can see that you have lost your way. You accept someone has a right to lie to you because of who they are or what their profession is. You say it's okay that an actor lies, but not your husband. I don't know how anyone can draw a line of the truth or morality.

Bradley James would give a damn about what people like me had to say, if people like you would hold him accountable to tell the truth too. You are the enabler that allows him to lie. You make it possible for the BBC and Shine to do this to the public time after time.

Bradley James is not the real problem here. He is a victim of the system that needs to be corrected. He's just an overgrown teenager that needs his knuckles rapped. If the BBC and Shine were held accountable for the wrongfulness of their actions, than James would have never been put in a position to lie in the first place. But until you hold ALL of them accountable for a lie; the system won't change.

Lying is lying. Criminal behavior is criminal behavior. At Nuremberg, German officers said, "Mein Fuhrer told me to do it!" They were still hanged for genocide. My point being.....just because someone tells you to lie; doesn't absolve you from guilt.

Listen.. if accepting the fact that I have control over nobody on the entirety of this earth but myself is me losing my way then so be it. I don't sweat the small stuff. I don't take it that serious and I'm certainly not personally offended or trying to push my morality on other people.

The majority of people understand they were doing their jobs and they did an incredible job at it. We understand they were under a lot of pressure to not give away anything that might even hint toward the ending and so they used the most generic words you could possibly imagine. They could not say there would be no season 6 because they were instructed not to say these things. It's my opinion that anyone who is upset with this cast and holding them personally responsible for not living up to their personal view of morality should spend at least one full day of their life listening to Eminem's Stan on repeat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Colin lied - that is not contestable..

It's perfectly contestable. Just because you personally don't find the ending satisfactory please don't assume you speak for anyone else.
    Colin said fans would find the ending satisfactory and that he was proud of his work, I found the ending satisfactory and I think he's right to be proud of it, his performance in the final episode was incredible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The show is about Colin and Bradley, not Merlin and Arthur.

:eek:

I can't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Listen.. if accepting the fact that I have control over nobody on the entirety of this earth but myself is me losing my way then so be it. I don't sweat the small stuff. I don't take it that serious and I'm certainly not personally offended or trying to push my morality on other people.

The majority of people understand they were doing their jobs and they did an incredible job at it. We understand they were under a lot of pressure to not give away anything that might even hint toward the ending and so they used the most generic words you could possibly imagine. They could not say there would be no season 6 because they were instructed not to say these things. It's my opinion that anyone who is upset with this cast and holding them personally responsible for not living up to their personal view of morality should spend at least one full day of their life listening to Eminem's Stan on repeat.

Okay. You have a right to feel that way. I don't agree with you. I don't believe that the world will ever get any better with your viewpoint, nor the morals of the actors.

Eminem hardly sets a standard for anyone to live up to ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek:

I can't

I wouldn't either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt very much that they didn't know what was going on. With negotiations, all the cards would have been placed on the table. The actors knew that they couldn't carry on without them. The show is about Colin and Bradley, not Merlin and Arthur.

Why is it so hard for the die-hard fans in this room to admit the truth: They lied!

Thats your opinion. Doesn't mean that was the opinion of Shine/BBC.

I never said they didn't lie, I said they had no choice as they were contracted to the show and would of had no choice but to say what they were told in regards to the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    It's perfectly contestable. Just because you personally don't find the ending satisfactory please don't assume you speak for anyone else.
    Colin said fans would find the ending satisfactory and that he was proud of his work, I found the ending satisfactory and I think he's right to be proud of it, his performance in the final episode was incredible.

I think his performance in the EP 13 was FANTASTIC. Colin has the makings of a great actor. He should feel great about his accomplishment.

HOWEVER, don't tell people that everyone else will be satisfied. That is self serving. Don't preach the party line and try to convince me of something. (by that I mean the stars....not you Cadiva :D )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think his performance in the EP 13 was FANTASTIC. Colin has the makings of a great actor. He should feel great about his accomplishment.

HOWEVER, don't tell people that everyone else will be satisfied. That is self serving. Don't preach the party line and try to convince me of something.

He didn't. He said he THINKS they will be satisfied.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats your opinion. Doesn't mean that was the opinion of Shine/BBC.

I never said they didn't lie, I said they had no choice as they were contracted to the show and would of had no choice but to say what they were told in regards to the show.

I've never doubted their contractual obligations. They could have chosen the high road like Wilson. That was their choice.

Of course, everything here is your opinion or my opinion. I'm merely an advocate for what I believe is right.

I rarely take offense by people's opinions. Sharing opinions is a good thing. It's the basis of democracy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've never doubted their contractual obligations. They could have chosen the high road like Wilson. That was their choice.

Of course, everything here is your opinion or my opinion. I'm merely an advocate for what I believe is right.

I rarely take offense by people's opinions. Sharing opinions is a good thing. It's the basis of democracy

Wilson was not one of the main cast members nor the person being directly asked by the media. It wasn't his place to speak on it. It was the main 4's responsibility to field such questions as part of contractually obligated promotion.

Eminem hardly sets a standard for anyone to live up to ;)

You totally missed the point and yet made it at the same damn time.. Eminem and his morality has nothing to do with what I was referring to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wilson was not one of the main cast members nor the person being directly asked by the media. It wasn't his place to speak on it. It was the main 4's responsibility to field such questions as part of contractually obligated promotion.

Come on now....Colin Morgan or Bradley James didn't have any monopoly on speaking for the show. Wilson had the same contract as the boys. They could have evaded the question as much as they answered it. Bradley James leaned over a bannister at the castle and said "Don't worry. We'll be back", that was in September...after the decision not to come back had already been made.

That's one I won't believe at all.
  • Options
    MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to butt in too much but in the US, actors, politicians, entertainers, and others who thrust themselves into public activity are "public figures." The distinction isn't important in most cases except for legal thresholds of privacy, libel, and slander. And, then it's a matter of the "degree" or limitation of how public a figure the person is. You can read about it here.

http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/p117.htm

As such figures, they can say and do what they want like anyone else and give an opinion or promote something BUT they cannot commit acts of malice which as adopted by the US courtesy of English and Welsh common law are acts that cause injury through a reckless intention. Although the US Supreme Court set a national standard about what is malice, some states like Maryland list "fraud" or "fraudulent" activity as an act of malice.

So, if Bradders and the others are knowingly, willfully, through reckless intent committing fraud by lying about things then it's a problem. But, if not then there isn't. For whatever reason, for now, the cast remains all gung ho about MERLIN and how things are and were regarding the finale. Eoin Macken twittered he can't talk about some of the things that happened but maybe in a few years once it's all over he might. But, it might just be some amusing anecdotes and he doesn't want to be unfriended by others on social media. Who know?

What will be interesting for me will be if the cast still feel that way and most likely they won't. For instance, Jane Fonda famously claimed around 1970 that Barbarella did not exploit women but showed a certain sexual freedom and liberation for women in defending her film maker husband Roger Vadim BUT decades later, she had other worlds to describe it. The film now gets ratings of 5/5 btw! :D Though, I think the story line is pretty bad...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Come on now....Colin Morgan or Bradley James didn't have any monopoly on speaking for the show. Wilson had the same contract as the boys. They could have evaded the question as much as they answered it. Bradley James leaned over a bannister at the castle and said "Don't worry. We'll be back", that was in September...after the decision not to come back had already been made.

So Wilson was present during all of the officially sanctioned interviews with the media and was regualrly asked by the media about a Season 6? No? Oh

I'm also positive it was said in more than one place that both Wilson and Anthony Head had very different contracts than the rest of the cast. I'm positive you've not read their contracts and are simply speculating on what is contained within them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So Wilson was present during all of the officially sanctioned interviews with the media and was regualrly asked by the media about a Season 6? No? Oh

I'm also positive it was said in more than one place that both Wilson and Anthony Head had very different contracts than the rest of the cast. I'm positive you've not read their contracts and are simply speculating on what is contained within them.

Nor have you! It's standard to gag actors in contracts. They can tell you how much to weight, how to cut your hair and what kind of accent to use. I would doubt that Head and Wilson didn't have contracts with gag orders. Wilson didn't tell the truth neither...lol....he avoided it. That tells me that he was gagged too,

The gag order went beyond any officially sanctioned conference....the conference is immaterial to the issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He didn't. He said he THINKS they will be satisfied.

Exactly and, for an awful lot of people, that was indeed the case.

Richard Wilson didn't have the same contract at all. Both he and Anthony Head were signed up on a year by year basis and both of them were free to take part in other work during their time with Merlin. Richard Wilson had a number of weeks directing a series of plays in Scarborough (if memory serves on the location, I believe it was something to do with Alan Ayckbourn) during one of the seasons which meant he had reduced appearance time on Merlin itself accordingly. The same thing with Anthony Head, who also took time out in one season to film something in the USA and had reduced screen time on Merlin.
    The four main actors, in contrast, were signed on five year contracts at the beginning of Merlin. The four main actors were also the ones responsible for publicity regarding Merlin. Richard Wilson appeared, from memory, on one television programme only promoting the show for Series Five, the other four not only were at all the major conventions but were extensively interviewed on radio, in the papers and on television.

I'd also take issue at the comment regarding Bradley James considering I've seen the same video and it's not at all clear that's what he's saying, only that that's what the people who uploaded it interpreted him as saying.
  • Options
    Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    Well, you have started with 2 of the best in my opinion. If you find any others of equal quality, do let me know. I haven't had the time to read much fanfic since Christmas, and when I do, I find it is either unfinished or my 12 year old could write a better story. There must be more good stuff out there!

I'm listening to The Student Prince podfic at the moment...the author's got a really soothing voice. She sounds so nice and posh I can't imagine her reading the slash scenes. I'm enjoying her reading of it though. She does quite a funny Irish accent for Gwaine too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Exactly and, for an awful lot of people, that was indeed the case.

Richard Wilson didn't have the same contract at all. Both he and Anthony Head were signed up on a year by year basis and both of them were free to take part in other work during their time with Merlin. Richard Wilson had a number of weeks directing a series of plays in Scarborough (if memory serves on the location, I believe it was something to do with Alan Ayckbourn) during one of the seasons which meant he had reduced appearance time on Merlin itself accordingly. The same thing with Anthony Head, who also took time out in one season to film something in the USA and had reduced screen time on Merlin.
    The four main actors, in contrast, were signed on five year contracts at the beginning of Merlin. The four main actors were also the ones responsible for publicity regarding Merlin. Richard Wilson appeared, from memory, on one television programme only promoting the show for Series Five, the other four not only were at all the major conventions but were extensively interviewed on radio, in the papers and on television.

I'd also take issue at the comment regarding Bradley James considering I've seen the same video and it's not at all clear that's what he's saying, only that that's what the people who uploaded it interpreted him as saying.

Yes, there contracts are different in that respect, but I doubt in the gag order. That would be a first in contractual law when you work for someone. Your employers always demands that you keep your mouth shut for their image. This is something i do know about since I've dealt with corporate law frequently.

Bradley lied in an interview "Whether there is another season depends on the ratings". If he lied at one, he lied at the other.
This discussion has been closed.