Man United Supporters Thread (Part 36)

Comments

• JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    CTD101 wrote: »
    Great result and over to City to respond.

Bet the press don't praise DDG despite his world class save in the first half

Headline will probably be:

"DE GEA WITH YET ANOTHER CLANGER AS HE CAUSES THE LIGHTS TO GO OUT AT CRAVEN COTTAGE. UNITED NOW SCOUTING MARK BOSNICH".
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Igloo_Man wrote: »
    Agree with JMTD - Evans was a colossus, particularly towards the end when it was back against the wall stuff. And Ferdinand did well too.

Rooney isn't just back in goalscoring form. Today his touch was back as well - some great technical passes. And he's back in form at just the right time when van Persie is looking a little anonymous at the moment.

That's what you want though isn't it. Rather one or the other than both not at all.
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Fantastic result!

Our strikers are the difference. RVP scorers every week for months. He takes a couple of games off and Rooney steps up. Thats what genuine quality does for you. Hernandez supplementing them both with 14 goals too.

Good game for DDG too. When it comes to actual saves he is top class.

I'd go as far as to say that De Gea is the best shot stopper in the Premier League. He was a saviour on a few occasions this evening.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    Headline will probably be:

"DE GEA WITH YET ANOTHER CLANGER AS HE CAUSES THE LIGHTS TO GO OUT AT CRAVEN COTTAGE. UNITED NOW SCOUTING MARK BOSNICH".

Bring back the Goram!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go as far as to say that De Gea is the best shot stopper in the Premier League. He was a saviour on a few occasions this evening.

I cannot wait for him to be the keeper that I know that he can be, and in a few years, we will have a beast of a keeper! :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    That's what you want though isn't it. Rather one or the other than both not at all.

Exactly. Strength in depth isn't just about having quality cover for injuries. Players need to be capable of taking up the mantle whenever others have a barren spell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twice the floodlights have gone out on us this season, and twice we have won, perhaps they should go out more often! :D:D
  • zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    So...

De Gea was great. Ferdinand and Evans were both great bar a couple of silly fouls. Rafael and Evra were good considering that in addition to defending they are our main threat down the wings and in the air. Valencia and Nani I don't need to mention. Carrick/Cleverley were good in the first half though they need to dominate the second halves more. RVP was quiet and so Rooney takes up the mantle. Sheer class.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    You guys need to get over the DDG paranoia. His shot stopping has always been top class. He can take all the credit in the world for his brilliant performance tonight when he was required to make the exact type of saves we all know he is great at. Nothing wrong with that at all but that doesnt negate the areas that people have simply pointed out he is weak in. *shrug*.

To overcome the critics (if thats what we want to call them) he has to improve in the areas that we feel he is weaker in i.e decision making and commanding the box on crosses. Thats the fact of the matter and it takes nothing away from tonights performance although i expect some stick for saying it.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    Phew!!! (AGAIN) :)

Thank-god that wasn't another Spurs :p

Had the feeling it would be another Spurs when they got that free kick, was swearing like there was no tomorrow, when the full time whistle went i was jumping up and down like an idiot, i bet the Neighbours across the road thought i was a right idiot. Still don't care.
    Forum Member
    zieler wrote: »
    So...

De Gea was great. Ferdinand and Evans were both great bar a couple of silly fouls. Rafael and Evra were good considering that in addition to defending they are our main threat down the wings and in the air. Valencia and Nani I don't need to mention. Carrick/Cleverley were good in the first half though they need to dominate the second halves more. RVP was quiet and so Rooney takes up the mantle. Sheer class.

This.

Spot on.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They wouldn't be happy if he held the shot and then scored direct from the goalkick. He's their whipping boy at the moment and us fans don't help, over-analysing his every save. We have had some dodgy keepers who we held onto too long but I simply don't think, given his age, De Gea will be one of them. And if any of you remembered the Great Dane's first season and a half, you'd know what i mean :eek:
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back the Goram!

Which one...

Sorry. It's always got to be done. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just give De Gea time, there is nothing wrong with that, in a few years he will be one of the best in the world, that is all he needs, just a bit of paitience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Which one...

Sorry. It's always got to be done. :D

True that! :D;)
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    You guys need to get over the DDG paranoia. His shot stopping has always been top class. He can take all the credit in the world for his brilliant performance tonight when he was required to make the exact type of saves we all know he is great at. Nothing wrong with that at all but that doesnt negate the areas that people have simply pointed out he is weak in. *shrug*.

To overcome the critics (if thats what we want to call them) he has to improve in the areas that we feel he is weaker in i.e decision making and commanding the box on crosses. Thats the fact of the matter and it takes nothing away from tonights performance although i expect some stick for saying it.

I'm fine with criticism when it's deserved. But when he's getting articles in the media about how Carrick took the blame for a clanger that was apparently all De Gea's fault, then you know people are just being morons for the sake of it.

The media and certain fans go way over board on De Gea. If someone comes out and points out his dealing with crosses etc and criticises that, no real problem. But it's way beyond that nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just because he didn't have any crosses to deal with tonight, I'm not going to not praise a good performance when I see one.

I will criticise when he does something wrong - such as on Wednesday when I felt he was at fault for the Southampton goal.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Twice the floodlights have gone out on us this season, and twice we have won, perhaps they should go out more often! :D:D

I said that before - when the lights went out! - that the same thing would happen like that game and we go onto win.

Now .... when can we pray for the next power cut to happen ....? :D
    Forum Member

'We' - Canty's one of them! Stone him!

:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I said that before - when the lights went out! - that the same thing would happen like that game and we go onto win.

Now .... when can we pray for the next power cut to happen ....? :D

The derby match perhaps?! :D;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't Sir Fergie call those sort of people idiots?? ;)
    Forum Member
    Just because he didn't have any crosses to deal with tonight, I'm not going to not praise a good performance when I see one.

I didnt suggest you shouldnt praise it, i praised it myself.

Now ESPN have just shown two crosses that he watched, which resulted in defenders having to clear off the line, but maybe that them just picking on him or maybe its the area that he is weak in. I suspect i know which option the majority will plump for.
    Forum Member
    Didn't Sir Fergie call those sort of people idiots?? ;)

He was referring to the people who go over the top in criticism - Cantona isn't really one of them.

I think the problem for United fans is that the media tend to overstate his weaknesses that lead us to get overly-defensive of him and the middle ground - that he is a young goalie who is not perfect - is almost ignored.
    Forum Member

:D

I feel like i'm being painted as a critic for pointing out what i consider to be fairly obvious stuff!

However he played well tonight so lets just appreciate that for now! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D

I feel like i'm being painted as a critic for pointing out what i consider to be fairly obvious stuff!

However he played well tonight so lets just appreciate that for now! :D

That's the thing. I don't get why you felt the need to bring up De Gea's flaws on a night when he played really well.
This discussion has been closed.