Options

If David Tennant stays, I want the 10th Doctor to . . .

MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
Forum Member
One exciting aspect of Doctor Who is the way it can renew itself, either through a new companion or a regenerated Doctor. A new Doctor is always exciting, even if it means losing someone popular or apparently irreplaceable.

But it does look like David Tennant may well have agreed to do season 5 (it may well be he had agreed to do it all along).

My question is this: If David Tennant stays, can the 10th Doctor's character be developed/expanded or do you want to keep him just the way he is?

I do think there is room for writers to progress the Doctor's character within a single incarnation.

Comments

• Options
    Drinking_GeckoDrinking_Gecko Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe make him a bit less forgetful, for instance, at the end of Doomsday, he was visibly broken up about Rose being stuck 'on the other side'. Yet only 2 episodes later (I know it's not relative but still) he seems to be pretty much back to his manic self. Again at the end of LotTL and VotD he seems visibly distraught but was manic again soon after. And most of all I think, at the end of Journey's End losing Donna and Rose being 'on the other side again' as well as the Dalek race effectively being wiped out by 'him' the last shot of him in the TARDIS shows what will hopefully become of his character, a slightly darker and less 'goody two shoes' Doctor due to what he has been through, but I imagine, come the Christmas episode, all will be the same and he'll be back to being a maniac again.
  • Options
    dazzlingdawndazzlingdawn Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe make him a bit less forgetful, for instance, at the end of Doomsday, he was visibly broken up about Rose being stuck 'on the other side'. Yet only 2 episodes later (I know it's not relative but still) he seems to be pretty much back to his manic self. Again at the end of LotTL and VotD he seems visibly distraught but was manic again soon after. And most of all I think, at the end of Journey's End losing Donna and Rose being 'on the other side again' as well as the Dalek race effectively being wiped out by 'him' the last shot of him in the TARDIS shows what will hopefully become of his character, a slightly darker and less 'goody two shoes' Doctor due to what he has been through, but I imagine, come the Christmas episode, all will be the same and he'll be back to being a maniac again.

I guess that's because even though there is RTD overlooking all the episodes, different people are writing them and putting their own spin on The Doctor - he's not being forgetful, they are just focusing on different aspects of his character/emotions. It IS frustrating though at times, however, we would all be moaning if he's spent the whole of series 3 miserable without Rose and the whole of series 4 cut up about The Master!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally I wouldn't describe that kind of behaviour of the Doctor as "Forgetful".....its more of his way of coping with these things....he moves on thats all....he has to, considering the loss he suffers, its the only way to cope....and its not like he starts smiling the very next moment....for example after Doomsday....in the Runaway Bride which took place moments after the Beach scene, he spent most of the episode being quite moody and angry, but he had a task on hand so it gave him few moments to concentrate on something else....and any smiles were more down to Donna than anyone else, as he was beginning to accept her for who she was....similarly after LOTTL, he was down, but then he bumped into himself, which cheered him up, and then had to become busy with the Titanic events.....

And you always see the sadness in him at times, even in Partners in Crime, where he admits to Donna that he doesn't like his loneliness....surely the first time he must have admited it....in the New series at least....I always have seen his overt Manicness, in both 9 and 10, as a mask to hide behind....

As for the topic of the thread...I'm not sure what I would like to see, every story seems to bring something out of him, or takes him where he hasn't been before....so as long as the story uses the Doctor's character to good use, I'm fine with that....:)
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's have more scientific problem-solving action and less of this touchy-feely mushy-wushy kissy-cuddly emotional stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    Let's have more scientific problem-solving action and less of this touchy-feely mushy-wushy kissy-cuddly emotional stuff.

Well if The Girl in the Fireplace and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead are anything to go by, the touchy-feely stuff is here to stay;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see him revisit the Ood, I think they still have even more to give and would make for an interesting recurring species, goodies rather than recurring baddies that is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love stories like Midnight and Human Nature/The Family of Blood which force the Doctor to confront his views, and the situation, in a way he isn't used to. Tennant's Doctor started off as a very smug, confident figure, and this confidence has slowly been taking more and more blows throughout his three years. Obviously he has to be cheery most of the time, because that's the nature of the character and the show (as Moffat and Cornell have both said), but a bit more of this kind of thing doesn't do any harm.

I wouldn't refer to his cheeriness quite as a mask, but more that he knows that he has to move on. The Doctor is an intelligent man, and so he probably knows deep down that dwelling on grief doesn't do anyone any good: Rose and Donna wouldn't have wanted him to just stay miserable for the rest of his life.
    Well if The Girl in the Fireplace and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead are anything to go by, the touchy-feely stuff is here to stay

Don't forget The Doctor Dances! ;)

Even Blink had Sally falling for two people, and her mate marrying the first person she met after she was sent back in time!
  • Options
    JessicaLJessicaL Posts: 3,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will we see a change in 10 -i'd imagine we'll see little differences -as the writers and David show 10 maturing and growing in confidence and learning as his incarnation evolves ..at least I hope we'll all get to see that if David stays a few more years.:)

But at the heart of the character will hopefully remain the best bit about Doctor 10 -every bit of his personality is right there to see :) be it fragility,darkness,regrets,laughter or the heartbroken hero-10 does not hide it I love that :).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Well if The Girl in the Fireplace and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead are anything to go by, the touchy-feely stuff is here to stay;)

I agree to a point about TGITF, but as for Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead being "touchy-feely", well, it was to do with a human thread, wasn't it? For instance, in TGITF, it's the Doctor who's in love with Madame Pompadour. But in the two-parter it's nearly all human nature stuff. As for the relationship between the Doctor and River Song, it was obviously a much deeper relationship than the Doctor has experienced so far (although in his future so he was unaware of its significance - which I loved), for her to have possession of his sonic screwdriver (boom boom, watch the innuendo) and know his real name. There was a reason behind the story of their relationship.

Anyway, what about Doomsday? What about The Stolen Earth? If the Doctor hadn't been so "solid gone" on Rose, he might have seen the Dalek that shot him earlier (in The Stolen Earth) and avoided a "bio-meta crisis" or whatever he called it. I always thought the Doctor and Rose's relationship was far too overplayed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Change nothing. I think Tennant's Doctor has evolved into a strong character. I didn't like the way DT played it in his first series. I thought the Doctor was too fey, too scatty, too manic (in a different way to Eccleston's mania). Whenever he had to be firm or tough, I was never convinced by it. And also too over-excitable. And what I thought were poor scripts for series 2, let him down.

In series 3 he seemed to hone his Doctor. He became less "child-like" in excitable enthusiasm to just being eager/keen. The mania subsided a bit too. The times he had to show force or strength felt more believable 'cos the "kid in the candy store" childishness was gone. He was becoming deeper, more of a thinker.

In the past series, I loved him. After Turn Left, Midnight is my favourite episode of series 4, because of how DT is now playing the Doctor. All the little nuances to his character now blend well. A little bit of absent mindedness, a little bit of ego (I love the response to the question of the passengers on the Crusader 50 of why they should trust the Doctor, "because I'm clever" he says without a hint of malice or condescension but purely matter-of-fact). He just has a level of gravitas now, a believability which he didn't have in series 2, IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    larelle wrote: »
    I agree to a point about TGITF, but as for Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead being "touchy-feely", well, it was to do with a human thread, wasn't it? For instance, in TGITF, it's the Doctor who's in love with Madame Pompadour. But in the two-parter it's nearly all human nature stuff. As for the relationship between the Doctor and River Song, it was obviously a much deeper relationship than the Doctor has experienced so far (although in his future so he was unaware of its significance - which I loved), for her to have possession of his sonic screwdriver (boom boom, watch the innuendo) and know his real name. There was a reason behind the story of their relationship.

Anyway, what about Doomsday? What about The Stolen Earth? If the Doctor hadn't been so "solid gone" on Rose, he might have seen the Dalek that shot him earlier (in The Stolen Earth) and avoided a "bio-meta crisis" or whatever he called it. I always thought the Doctor and Rose's relationship was far too overplayed.

My point was that if people are expecting that in the Moffat era we wil get more of the science/problem solving rather than the lovey-dovey stuff....are keeping too many high hopes....episodes like TGITF, SITL/FOTD and as rightly pointed out by StansCoffins, Blink and the Doctor Dances all have the touchy feely stuff, whether that be a love story between the Doctor and someone, or the companions, or those who help the Doctor for the day....personaly I think Moffat has implied these things more than RTD....yes in his stories Rose and the Doctor do seem to be engrossed in each other at times....but Moffat practically gave us suggestions that the Doctor had slept with Reneitte, and has a future wife who keeps a pair of handcuffs....

None of these things bother me so I'm not complaining.....Its just some people think that RTD is all to blame for the soapy stuff....when other writers are as much to blame as he is....yes he accepts the story...but the lovey dovey stuff is something that the writers themselves seem to come up with....definitly the case with Moffat, as RTD has said he doesn't touch his scripts.....
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the indication will be - at the start of season 5 - that a long time has passed and that this is a much older 10th Doctor.

I got that same impression at the start of Tom Baker's final season - that a lot of time had passed between the end of The Horns of Nimon and the start of The Leisure Hive.

It made me feel that the 4th Doctor, Romana and K9 had been travelling together for a long time, and he was older and perhaps less irratic, and that they'd had all sorts of adventures that we hadn't seen.
  • Options
    dazzlingdawndazzlingdawn Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 10 has developed into a most fascinating, wonderful Doctor and as I have said many, many times (:D), he is MY Doctor. All aspects of his character are being explored and have been explored over the last 3 series and I am excited to see what will happen in the specials. Obviously, I hope that DT will stay for series 5 as I feel 10 has more to give us. Long may he reign!
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    Perhaps the indication will be - at the start of season 5 - that a long time has passed and that this is a much older 10th Doctor.

That would make future tie-ins with Torchwood (except for Jack) and SJA more difficult, as well as bringing back old characters from time to time.

Of course there are advantages to that happening too. But a problem it would create is setting episodes in present-day earth. If ten years or so had elapsed, it would make more sense for his "home base" to be 2020, not 2010.

From a forum point of view, when eventually we move on to the 11th Doctor we'd be constantly reading tiresome story ideas for filling in the missing 10th Doctor years just like we do for the 8th/9th gap now.
  • Options
    Drinking_GeckoDrinking_Gecko Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would make future tie-ins with Torchwood (except for Jack) and SJA more difficult, as well as bringing back old characters from time to time.

Of course there are advantages to that happening too. But a problem it would create is setting episodes in present-day earth. If ten years or so had elapsed, it would make more sense for his "home base" to be 2020, not 2010.

From a forum point of view, when eventually we move on to the 11th Doctor we'd be constantly reading tiresome story ideas for filling in the missing 10th Doctor years just like we do for the 8th/9th gap now.

It wouldn't make any tie-ins more difficult, he can travel through time remember ;)
  • Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    I want the 10th doctor to...get tied up naked.

Thank you =D
  • Options
    M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    Yeah, make the Doctor a woman.

we have had men, men, men now let the women have a go
    it could really bring in a new dimension without going over old ground.
    Plus because its the first woman Dr, the touchy feeley "I really am a new man" approach will change and be a lot stronger in content.

and all those cute assistants...
  • Options
    JessicaLJessicaL Posts: 3,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 10 has developed into a most fascinating, wonderful Doctor and as I have said many, many times (:D), he is MY Doctor. All aspects of his character are being explored and have been explored over the last 3 series and I am excited to see what will happen in the specials. Obviously, I hope that DT will stay for series 5 as I feel 10 has more to give us. Long may he reign!

Indeed Dawn :D David gives us such a wonderful expressive Doctor -brilliant :D