Options

The Red Rock Thread (Irish Pace)

Comments

• Options
    absalomabsalomabsalomabsalom Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    Most of the filming is done at Players Square which is the old John Player factory on the South Circular Road. The exterior of the Garda station and the cafe are actually the back or the side of the factory.

I have to say, as well as being really impressed with the show so far, the Players Square outdoor sets is really, *really* impressive. Also love the on location stuff around Kimmage/Crumlin as that's my old stomping ground....
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Sorry to change the subject but what do people think of Love/Hate? I didn't see the Channel 5 airing but was thinking of getting it on DVD.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another decent episode tonight, although I have to say I'm finding the storyline about the two feuding families the least interesting story. Its presumably supposed to be the main story around which the rest of the programme revolves, but I find the goings on between the gardai themselves far more entertaining.

Lol at your man sleeping with one eye open!
  • Options
    dublin6dublin6 Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Another decent episode tonight, although I have to say I'm finding the storyline about the two feuding families the least interesting story. Its presumably supposed to be the main story around which the rest of the programme revolves, but I find the goings on between the gardai themselves far more entertaining.

Yes, I thought tonight's episode was actually the best so far. I think the family story will improve once someone get's hurt :D

I felt it was less soap and more drama like and am pleased with the acting.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dublin6 wrote: »
    Yes, I thought tonight's episode was actually the best so far. I think the family story will improve once someone get's hurt :D

I felt it was less soap and more drama like and am pleased with the acting.

Me too, and also pleased with the cast. No offense to the more famous faces around but we do seem to have a problem in Ireland where being such a small country the same half a dozen faces or so turn up in everything. You're looking at someone in Game of Thrones one night, and then he's Charlie Haughey the next!

This lot are new which makes it easier to accept them as their characters in this.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, and also pleased with the cast. No offense to the more famous faces around but we do seem to have a problem in Ireland where being such a small country the same half a dozen faces or so turn up in everything. You're looking at someone in Game of Thrones one night, and then he's Charlie Haughey the next!

This lot are new which makes it easier to accept them as their characters in this.

Yes, they did right to introduce a whole swathe of new actors......it makes the show seem more believable.

Episode 3 not available yet online by the way.....I'll post a link as soon as it comes up :)
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers, Eurostar- what would we do only for you! I'm guessing that the show- along with a lot of other terrestrial TV will benefit ratings-wise from the extreme weather conditions sweeping Ireland right now as more folk opt to stay in and watch the box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers, Eurostar- what would we do only for you! I'm guessing that the show- along with a lot of other terrestrial TV will benefit ratings-wise from the extreme weather conditions sweeping Ireland right now as more folk opt to stay in and watch the box.

No problem boogie woogie! Episode 3 seems to have been well received tonight going by reactions across the board......I think TV3 may be on to a winner :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last week's episodes rated quite well- I even think that the second episode managed to beat Emmerdale on UTV Ireland. Here's hoping they can retain a fair chunk of their audience.
  • Options
    HendraHendra Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I'm glad the response is positive for this episode. Makes me feel excited to watch the episode now once it's posted online! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go.......tonight's episode, Episode 3 of Red Rock :)

http://www.vid.gg/video/43df3926316fe

(Click on 'Proceed to video')
  • Options
    absalomabsalomabsalomabsalom Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really enjoyed it too. I guess the "feuding families" bit is to drag you in immediately while the other stories reveal themselves slowly.

There is great potential for most of the characters. I particularly like the young policewoman and look forward to seeing what they do with her.

I found myself last night looking at it like it had been on for years which can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed it too. I guess the "feuding families" bit is to drag you in immediately while the other stories reveal themselves slowly.

There is great potential for most of the characters. I particularly like the young policewoman and look forward to seeing what they do with her.

I found myself last night looking at it like it had been on for years which can only be a good thing.

Me too. The young female Garda and her comic older sidekick are already becoming stars of the show. You can see that she is full of youthful and naive idealism about the job but is trying to come to terms with the realities of it.
  • Options
    HendraHendra Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Here we go.......tonight's episode, Episode 3 of Red Rock :)

http://www.vid.gg/video/43df3926316fe

(Click on 'Proceed to video')
    Thanks for this Eurostar!

And I agree with everyone on this thread, another decent episode but I am finding the Hennessy/Kiely feud the least interesting storyline for me. I am really enjoying Sharon's story though and I can see her becoming the star of the show since she is the newest Garda and will easily be able to connect with the audience as she learns the ropes. Her character really has a lot of potential and there is a lot that can be explored with her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hendra wrote: »
    Thanks for this Eurostar!

And I agree with everyone on this thread, another decent episode but I am finding the Hennessy/Kiely feud the least interesting storyline for me. I am really enjoying Sharon's story though and I can see her becoming the star of the show since she is the newest Garda and will easily be able to connect with the audience as she learns the ropes. Her character really has a lot of potential and there is a lot that can be explored with her.

You're welcome Hendra :D

I just hope Sharon doesn't become too hardened and cynical as time progresses. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her youthful idealism and desire to do the right thing. She just needs to adapt to her circumstances, but there's no need for her ever to compromise herself or her standards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any ratings for last night's episode?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any ratings for last night's episode?

A bit early for them yet, we might have to wait a few days.

The new show seems to have been very well received though, both by TV critics and viewers. I've a feeling its going to be around for a long time to come (it's already contracted to run for two years).
  • Options
    Mark_BullockMark_Bullock Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Thanks again Eurostar. This is turning out to be pretty great!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again Eurostar. This is turning out to be pretty great!

Don't mention it Mark :) Episode 4 not available yet......should be online in the next couple of hours
  • Options
    AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really impressed and given TV3s terrible drama record Im more impressed...
    Remember Deception a show so amateur that the studio mikes were used on location and outdoors... it was the worst TV how ever made and probably a blessing to TV3 as they knew they HAD to get Red Rock right.

What Im loving is it's understated confidence. All the other soaps rely on shouting and very in your face archetypes, this is more subtle. The scene last night in the fog was beautiful filmed and acted. Not what I expect from an early evening soap.

Theme tune is wrong and needs to be rethought.... but thats the worst. The rest is really promising. TV3 need to really push to get this talked about... if they can find a storyline that's unique to the show and hook an audience they will do well.

Many viewers here are disgusted with UTV Ireland since it's launch. Corrie and Emmerdale won't flop but the audience will dwindle unless UTV Ire improves radically.
  • Options
    AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AuntieSoap wrote: »

That was TV3's first ever home drama, wasn't it? It was badly received though and the TV critics hated it.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch online in England so have only just caught up on episode 3, but I have to say once again that I'm completely on board already, it's a great show and as others have said, beautifully filmed. The sets are far more realistic than most, and I'm glad to see that they film outside the usual parameters of their set which makes it feel so genuine.

The actors seem very capable and I'm surprised to read that they are generally unknown in Ireland! Seems a really solid cast. I'm glad to see the solicitor made more human in this episode, she's absolutely beautiful too....as his her husband! Which always helps!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 4 :)

http://vshare.eu/dvycerd67p8u.htm

Click on 'Proceed to Video'
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught up with this week's episodes last night. A really good few episodes. I really like how they're focusing on a small group of characters first before they begin to expand on their universe. We're getting to know the characters much better this way rather than just being presented with the token bitch, token bad boy, token comic relief etc which often happens on other soaps. It's much more about character at the moment rather than random plot in the style of Fair City's "and this week you're a lesbian" approach to storylines.

We saw the first glimpses of the planned "crime of the week" element with Angela and Sharon calling to break the news of a death (technically not a crime but it was police work). Even this felt natural as it became more about the dynamic between Sharon and Angela and how they reacted to the case rather than a random crime shoehorned into the other storylines. I'm looking forward to seeing them opening up the Red Rock universe as I know that Angela's husband is due to appear and we also haven't seen much of the father and daughter who own The Neptune.

Regarding the Hennessy-Kiely feud, I'm beginning to think that Patricia might know a bit more about what Michael did on the night of Darren's death than she is letting on.