Olympic flame watching thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About time they put it on t.v. I notice they now have a banner on screen when it's in 'convoy mode' too. Gone all upmarket since I was here last. :D

Where is the sound though?
  • cray1975cray1975 Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to see it on the red button again despite the interruptions from time to time :)

It was shown on the red button on Day One but this is the first time it has returned. However, on the BBC sport text page for upcoming events on tv it says that they will be covering the leg to Glasgow which i assume means Friday afternoon.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if anyone on this thread has wondered like I have about two aspects of the torch relay that at best seem curious and at worst seem unfair, namely

- that many of the people who carry the torch through a particular town or city don't come from there directly, or from the general area or, in some cases, from the UK

- that the torch is being carried by many celebrities and famous faces who presumably did not have to go through the same application process that everybody else has but who just got parachuted in for publicity purposes

Can anyone shed some light on either of these?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I know that the IOC and the sponsors get allocated spaces, as they have done in other relays. As well as Samsung, Coke and Lloyds TSB there also seem to be some 'stealth' sponsors as well. EDF (Electricité de France) is the official energy supplier to the Games, is majority owned by the French Government and gave much of their allocation to French runners. I have no idea why the organisers put 20 of these in Devon on one day though! It hasn't been very transparent.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like more celebrities..............adds a bit of interest
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I'd like more celebrities..............adds a bit of interest

And there was me thinking that the interest came from the stories of selflessness from the members of the ordinary public who've been chosen to carry the torch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    And there was me thinking that the interest came from the stories of selflessness from the members of the ordinary public who've been chosen to carry the torch.

It might do for the participants and their families etc but for the viewer (well, for this viewer) the interest comes from seeing the places around the country, the villages, towns and cities

The actual person carrying the torch is not the main focus.........unless they're a celeb !...........:)
  • TigerlilyTigerlily Posts: 9,867
    Forum Member
    It might do for the participants and their families etc but for the viewer (well, for this viewer) the interest comes from seeing the places around the country, the villages, towns and cities

The actual person carrying the torch is not the main focus.........unless they're a celeb !...........:)

I'm with you on this swinga ........ I just love the tour round the country but often it is spoilt by no coverage in many picturesque areas!

As I am one of those who does not have unlimited broadband, I am having to be more selective when my next month's billing starts so it will be more watching the places I am interested in and read about the rest of it ....... it is beginning to sound more and more like the WHATM thread in BB at this rate :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tigerlily wrote: »
    I'm with you on this swinga ........ I just love the tour round the country but often it is spoilt by no coverage in many picturesque areas!

As I am one of those who does not have unlimited broadband, I am having to be more selective when my next month's billing starts so it will be more watching the places I am interested in and read about the rest of it ....... it is beginning to sound more and more like the WHATM thread in BB at this rate :o

You'd have been OK today watching on the telly red button.........assuming you have digital telly.........

I suppose that's a big advantage of it being on the red button is that it doesn't use up your download limit (although I've no idea what mine is..........)
  • TigerlilyTigerlily Posts: 9,867
    Forum Member
    You'd have been OK today watching on the telly red button.........assuming you have digital telly.........

I suppose that's a big advantage of it being on the red button is that it doesn't use up your download limit (although I've no idea what mine is..........)

Yes, it's been good to use that red button again but I can't help feeling that I need two TV's in the same room to make life really good! I have yet to work out whether or not it is worthwhile cutting a hole in the ceiling and installing a periscope so that I can see the TV in my bedroom! Something tells me it is not a good plan!:eek:

My limit is 60 GB although I can go over it and just pay the extra the following month but I would sooner try and stay within the limit within reason!
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch route for tomorrow (05/05/2012) :

Day 18: Derry Londonderry to Newry

07:26am Derry Londonderry
    07:44am New Buildings
    07:56am Magheramason
    08:06am Bready
    08:22am Ballymagorry
    08:31am Strabane
    09:03am Sion Mills
    09:57am Omagh
    10:52am Dromore
    11:28am Irvinestown
    12:03pm Enniskillen
    13:57pm Fivemiletown
    14:23pm Clogher
    14:37pm Augher
    15:00pm Aughnacloy
    15:20pm Caledon
    15:38pm Armagh
    16:39pm Portadown
    17:22pm Gilford
    17:43pm Banbridge
    18:25pm Newry
  • TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Look at this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18324722

I knew those idiots up there would do something. It's the most backward place on the planet.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    TheBilly wrote: »
    Look at this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18324722

I knew those idiots up there would do something. It's the most backward place on the planet.

A bit harsh, but I suspected something would happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today is the first day I've been watching that it's been raining quite heavily...doesn't seem to have dampened spirits in Enniskillen though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It;s not on red button today...........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, and the coverage today has been practically non-existent..every time I check on it there's no picture. Only seen the one brief bit in Enniskillen :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..of course since I made that last post it's back :o

Raining still, in Armagh now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The BBC text pages say that Friday and Saturday will be on the red button in the afternoon/evening period (2-7pm). Be interesting to see how things go as Saturday ends in Inverness. So not sure how good the signal will be.

I'd expect that the final week in London will be on the red button all the way through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pictures are back as they approach Newry.

Wonder if there will be much coverage of the trip to Dublin tomorrow morning on the BBC News channel, what with the Jubilee over with. I think one of the presenters said she was going to be in Belfast on the Wednesday. I think they did miss some tricks last week like not covering the run along the coast of Crosby instead repeating endless same hourly reports on Syria, EU Crisis and John Edwards's sex life!

Apologises for the rant at the end :o
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch route for tomorrow (06/06/2012) :

Day 19: Dublin to Belfast

09:08am Dublin (Repubic of Ireland)
    13:29pm Newry (Northern Ireland)
    14:46pm Lisburn (Northern Ireland)
    16:49pm Belfast (Northern Ireland)
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    Torch route for tomorrow (06/06/2012) :

Day 19: Dublin to Belfast

09:08am Dublin (Repubic of Ireland)
    13:29pm Newry (Northern Ireland)
    14:46pm Lisburn (Northern Ireland)
    16:49pm Belfast (Northern Ireland)

Small rout today looking forward to seeing Dublin I just love shopping in Dublin
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It just said on the news that Jedward will have it today :eek::D
  • TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Big crowds at Croke Park. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cheers Mrs T

just tuned in..........looks like they've taken a detour into a building

starting again............with a Dublin garda.........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    the text says 'Its nearly Jedward time' !

:p