Options

New Who Writers Rated

Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I've decided to rate all the New Who writers, using my own personal scores for every single episode between Rose and The Name of the Doctor. So I've calculated the average for each writer (RTD took a while) and this is just a bit of fun to see how I gauge the writers. First off, let's look at some who only wrote one ep/story and/or were co-written with RTD. (Oh and please don't take this as an RTD/Moff debate, I'm just using my scores from previous eps to calculate)

James Moran - 1 ep (co-written) 7/10
Keith Temple, Simon Nye and Richard Curtis - 1 ep each 7/10
Matt Jones - 2 eps (both co-written) 8/10
Phil Ford - 1 ep (co-written) 9/10
Robert Shearman - 1 ep 9/10 (why wasn't he invited back?)

Now then, let's start at the bottom:

14th: Mark Gatiss: 6 eps 6.83/10
I'm not a huge Gatiss fan, I didn't like his Sherlock episodes and a list of at best average, at worst shocking eps leaves him bottom of my list.
Highlight: Cold War 8/10 (only just and being kind)
Lowlight: Night Terrors 6/10 (just appalling IMO)

13th: Matthew Graham: 3 eps 7/10
Not really surprising he's so low down and I suspect most people on here agree with me, boosted above Gatiss only by the ending to the Flesh two-parter
Highlight: The Almost People 8/10 (THAT cliffhanger)
Lowlight: Fear Her 6/10 (oh dear)

12th: Gareth Roberts: 5 eps (one co-written) 7.2/10
A very mixed bag here but most of his eps were distinctly average, and a worthy 12th spot.
Highlight: The Lodger 8/10 (funny, light-hearted and maybe I was feeling nice)
Lowlight: The Unicorn and The Wasp 6/10 (not one I enjoyed at all)

11th: Paul Cornell: 3 eps 7.33/10
Maybe a shock candidate to be so low down but for me, he's only written a few good minutes of Doctor Who which wrenches him above Roberts and Graham
Highlight: The Family of Blood 9/10 (I loved David's Doctor at the ending, oustanding)
Lowlight: Father's Day 6/10 (one i really didn't like, maybe controversial)

Joint 9th: Steve Greenhorn: 2 eps 7.5/10
Only a couple of eps for Greenhorn but not a bad showing at all. Not a lot else to say.
Highlight: The Doctor's Daughter: 8/10 (I thought Tennant was on fire here)
Lowlight: The Lazarus Experiment: 7/10 (Not bad but not great either)

Also Joint 9th: Toby Whithouse: 4 eps 7.5/10
I am a little surprised he's so low down but although he's written some good eps, he's not quite been able to tip into great.
Highlight: The God Complex: 8/10 (very good exploration into fear and faith)
Lowlight: A Town Called Mercy: 7/10 (Really didn't like this ep)

8th: Russel T Davies: 33 episodes 7.51/10
Oh RTD. For every Doomsday there was a Love and Monsters, for every Utopia, a Voyage of the Damned. But the problem isn't consistency, if anything it's the opposite. Too many average episodes with flicks of brilliance dragged down by the occasional rubbish.
Highlight: Utopia 10/10 (these last 15 minutes are definitely among my favourite of Who, if not my favourite)
Lowlight: Love and Monsters: 5/10 (what on earth was he thinking?)

7th: Helen Raynor: 4 eps 7.75/10
Another controversial one, but I've enjoyed both her two-parters immensely, even if they were not classics. Sontar-Ha!
Highlight: The Poison Sky - 8/10 (i thought you said it would ignite the atmosphere?! yeah i did)
Lowlight: Daleks in Manhattan 7/10 (not quite as good as the second part)

6th: Chris Chibnall: 5 eps 7.8/10
Chibnall's taken a lot of stick for his eps, so this is highly controversial but I've really enjoyed almost all of them. Consistently above average.
Highlight: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship! 8/10 (one episode i can always rewatch)
Lowlight: The Hungry Earth 7/10 (Again, not as good as what followed)

5th: Neil Gaiman: 2 eps 8/10
Yes the great Neil Gaiman. In truth, I didn't really love either of his eps, but they're both solid enough to earn him a spot high on the list.
Highlight: Nightmare in Silver: 8/10 (and carried by Matt Smith)
Lowlight: The Doctor's Wife 8/10 (overrated IMHO)

4th: Tom MacRae: 3 eps 8.33/10
Another surprise but I've liked all of his episodes immensely, so he's clearly very high.
Highlight: The Age of Steel 9/10 (I loved this episode, especially the resolution)
Lowlight: Rise of the Cybermen 8/10 (a little too much exposition for me)

Joint 2nd: Steve Thompson: 2 eps 8.5/10
Pretty much the definition of polarized. One not great ep, one absolute stunner.
Highlight: Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS 10/10 (bloody brilliant)
Lowlight: Curse of the Black Spot 7/10 (rory dies...again)

Joint 2nd: Neil Cross: 2 eps 8.5/10
Two of my favourite eps of the season, in a very good back half. I really hope he returns.
Highlight: Hide 9/10 (it's not a ghost story, it's a love story)
Lowlight: Rings of Akhaten: 8/10 (The Doctor's speech here is a personal highlight of Who)

1st (and you can tell where this is going): Steven Moffat. 24 eps 8.58/10
Far from a runaway leader but the simple fact is, I love the Moff. Since he took over, the majority of his episodes have been 9s or 10s, with 6 10s and 8 9s. Some stunning episodes of real quality and all his series finales and openers have raised the bar.
Highlight: Asylum of The Daleks/The Name of the Doctor 10/10 (i couldn't separate these two, they're my two favourite episodes of Doctor Who)
Lowlight: The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe 6/10 (an episode that had me so bored and angry, i nearly switched off)

So there it is, this was a mammoth effort of a post, so feel free to throw in your views. Obviously you don't have to go to the statistical effort I have but any views would be welcome

Comments

• Options
    RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you miss out Matt Jones (Satan PIt two parter)? I thought they were two of the stronges episodes since the show's revival.
    I agree with you about the Doctor's Wife being overrated - I enjoyed it, but I don't think it's the best episode ever as some have said - I actually liked nightmare in silver more...
    Have to disagree with you about Paul Cornell though. In my opinion, his episodes are brilliant and he needs to come back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobInnes wrote: »
    Did you miss out Matt Jones (Satan PIt two parter)? I thought they were two of the stronges episodes since the show's revival.
    I agree with you about the Doctor's Wife being overrated - I enjoyed it, but I don't think it's the best episode ever as some have said - I actually liked nightmare in silver more...
    Have to disagree with you about Paul Cornell though. In my opinion, his episodes are brilliant and he needs to come back.

I have Matt Jones in the small section at the top as the Satan Pit two parter was co-written with RTD but they both got 8s from me it was a great two-parter. Yeah there are a couple on there that are controversial but Father's Day and Human Nature just didn't do it for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *haven't rated writers that wrote only one episode

1. NEIL CROSS
    - average: 10,00/10
    - both episodes (The Rings of Akhaten and Hide) are 10/10

2. Gareth Roberts
    - average: 8,25/10
    Highlight: Planet of the Dead (10/10)
    Lowlight: Closing time (6/10)

3. Chris Chibnall
    - average: 8,00/10
    - all 3 episodes are 8/10

4. Steven Thompson
    - average: 8,00/10
    - both episodes are 8/10

5. Steven Moffat
    - average: 7,77/10
    Highlight: Snowmen (10+/10) and Silence in the Library/ Forest of the Dead, Blink and Eleventh Hour are 10/10
    Lowlight: A Christmas Carol and A Good Man Goes to War (both 4/10)

6. Mark Gatiss
    - average: 7,50/10
    Highlight: Night terrors (10/10)
    Lowlight: The Idiot's Lantern (6/10)

7. Toby Whithouse
    - average: 7,50/10
    Highlight: The God Complex (10/10)
    Lowlight: The Town Called Mercy (3/10)

8. Paul Cornell
    - average: 7,00/10
    Highlight: Human nature / The Family of Blood (10+/10)
    Lowlight: Fathers' Day (4/10)

9. Russel T. Davies
    - average: 5,30/10
    Highlight: Gridlock, Midnight, Partners in Crime and Planet of the Dead (10/10)
    Lowlight: Love and Monsters and The Stolen Earth / Journey's End (0/10)

10. Matthew Graham
    - average: 4,00/10
    Highlight: Fear Her (6/10)
    Lowlight: The Rebel Flesh / The Almost People (2/10)

11. Stephen Greenhorn
    - average: 4,00/10
    Highlight: The Doctor's Daughter (6/10)
    Lowlight: The Lazarus Experiment (2/10)

12. Tom MacRae
    - average: 2,50/10
    Highlight: The Girl Who Waited (4/10)
    Lowlight: Rise of the Cyberman/The Age of Steel (1/10)
  • Options
    KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So there it is, this was a mammoth effort of a post, so feel free to throw in your views. Obviously you don't have to go to the statistical effort I have but any views would be welcome

Well since you welcome any views and not to compare him with Moffat but I completely absolutely disagree with the placing of RTD - I really can't state how much I disagree. He is an exceptional character writer, IMO by the far the best of the New Who writers at developing characters and emotional highs, and deserves a higher placing for that alone!
  • Options
    RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess this is one of the joys of doctor who - that the stories are all so different that opinions can differ greatly. I didn't think rings was anywhere near as bad as people made out - in fact I enjoyed it a lot more than bells of St. John.
    Moffat has written some crackers since he took over bit some have been awful in my opinion. I don't rate girl in the fireplace either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KezM wrote: »
    Well since you welcome any views and not to compare him with Moffat but I completely absolutely disagree with the placing of RTD - I really can't state how much I disagree. He is an exceptional character writer, IMO by the far the best of the New Who writers at developing characters and emotional highs, and deserves a higher placing for that alone!

Funny, I personally disliked the way RTD wrote most of the major characters. The only exceptions being Nine, Wilf and Donna (excluding the Runaway Bride). And with Donna he actually managed to ruin all the character development she got in Journey's End, so...
  • Options
    KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny, I personally disliked the way RTD wrote most of the major characters. The only exceptions being Nine, Wilf and Donna (excluding the Runaway Bride). And with Donna he actually managed to ruin all the character development she got in Journey's End, so...

Different horses for different courses. I gave my opinion as the OP asked for any views and I still maintain it.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Always thought it was a big surprise and a really quite disappointing one that Steven Moffat hasn't chosen to use Paul Cornell during his tenure. His episodes were tremendous in the RTD era, some of my all-time favourites. At one time I had high hopes for him becoming showrunner, but he's been out of the game since Series 3, so probably not now.

Just regarding reasons why some people never came back, this is what I remember reading:

- Matt Jones - had real trouble meeting deadlines and delivering serviceable scripts, as rumours say. Apparently RTD had to help out a lot and Love & Monsters suffered because of it. So he wasn't trusted with another story. Sad, really, because his story is fantastic - my favourite of Series 2.

- James Moran - same as Matt Jones, and this one's confirmed in The Writer's Tale - the rewrites were so major on RTD's part that many websites feel inclined to give RTD a co-writer's credit.

- Robert Shearman - as far as I'm aware, he didn't want to come back, much to the disappointment of RTD, and I'm not sure what the reason was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different horses for different courses. I gave my opinion as the OP asked for any views and I still maintain it.

Oh, I know and I respect it and didn't mean to try to change your opinion or anything. :o I just kinda find it funny how opinions can differ on such things tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah I felt bad having him so low down because of everything he's done but too many of his episodes are just so average for me...
  • Options
    dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Cornell and Toby Whitehouse would definitely be higher on my list. And I think my rating of Curse of the Black Spot would bring Steve Thompson down quite significantly!