Who pays for redecorating after council improvements?

2»

Comments

• Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    wench wrote: »
    No you just sound very bitter about council tenants.

I am massively in favour of council housing. It's disgusting that so much of it has been sold off over the years, which means you have to be very lucky to get it. If you are one of the lucky few then don't whinge about the consequences of benefits that no one else gets.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I am massively in favour of council housing. It's disgusting that so much of it has been sold off over the years, which means you have to be very lucky to get it. If you are one of the lucky few then don't whinge about the consequences of benefits that no one else gets.

So just because my brother is lucky enough to have a council flat he should be "thankful" that the council have caused damage to the £700 of redecoration we spent , installing a new heating system he never wanted, never asked for and wont really benefit from?

So just because he is lucky to have a council flat, he shouldn't expect or want his flat to be nice looking?

Just because he's lucky to have a council flat he should be thankful the council come in and make it worse than it was before?

Do you believe all council tenants should just roll over and let the council treat their homes like crap just because they are lucky to have one? Really?
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its only annoying simply because I myself paid for a decorator to redecorate his entire flat only a few years ago as he couldn't afford to himself and now it sees we'll have to do it all again.

Well if it hasn't been done for a few years then that's the reason the paint doesn't match. The old paint will have been exposed to light for all those years and will have faded. And I don't get why you are paying for it anyway. Get some paint and just paint it all white. It will look much better anyway.
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So just because my brother is lucky enough to have a council flat he should be "thankful" that the council have caused damage to the £700 of redecoration we spent , installing a new heating system he never wanted, never asked for and wont really benefit from?

So just because he is lucky to have a council flat, he shouldn't expect or want his flat to be nice looking?

Just because he's lucky to have a council flat he should be thankful the council come in and make it worse than it was before?

Do you believe all council tenants should just roll over and let the council treat their homes like crap just because they are lucky to have one? Really?

My house was impeccable before the council came in and completely destroyed it putting in new radiators, central heating boiler, refitting the kitchen and bathroom. I got a voucher for just over £100 to put it right. It took me three years and I've just finished. If everyone else manages then your brother will just have to suck it up and deal with it.

I suspect this is about you rather than your brother. you resent spending the money and begrudge seeing the work has damaged the old paintwork.
    Forum Member

Having new and more efficient heating benefits everybody due to the savings for the environment and public purse. Should the council just have left everyone with coal fires and outside toilets because they were worried about damaging the paintwork?

I don't think anyone in their right mind would class a free new central heating system and bathoom set as treating a home like crap.

You are very bitter about spending the money redecorating, that much is clear. But as you say this was "years ago" so there's no way the council would be able to match the paint anyway.

All its going to take to fix is a few tins of paint and a better attitude.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its only annoying simply because I myself paid for a decorator to redecorate his entire flat only a few years ago as he couldn't afford to himself and now it sees we'll have to do it all again.

At least you didn't have to pay to have a new heating system put in

If it was as you say yourself a "few years ago" that the decoration was done they council would have no chance of matching faded paint and it's probably time it was done again anyway
    Forum Member
    justatech wrote: »
    Well if it hasn't been done for a few years then that's the reason the paint doesn't match. The old paint will have been exposed to light for all those years and will have faded. And I don't get why you are paying for it anyway. Get some paint and just paint it all white. It will look much better anyway.

I get that they probably wouldn't be able to match it but I don't see why they couldn't have painted the entire wall instead of a small patch in a different colour. Even if one wall itself was different to the other walls it wouldn't have been so bad but we are talking about patches in every room (not to mention various unfilled holes and bad plastering)

I paid for it because my brother couldn't afford to and at the time I was staying with him.

Yes we are going to now do it all again. I was just merely asking what we should have expected from the council when they said they were going to make good the repairs.
    Forum Member
    justatech wrote: »
    My house was impeccable before the council came in and completely destroyed it putting in new radiators, central heating boiler, refitting the kitchen and bathroom. I got a voucher for just over £100 to put it right. It took me three years and I've just finished. If everyone else manages then your brother will just have to suck it up and deal with it.

I suspect this is about you rather than your brother. you resent spending the money and begrudge seeing the work has damaged the old paintwork.

Yes I know we will suck it up, but I'm glad someone else knows what I meant when I said the council have "ruined" the flat.
    We still have unfilled holes, piping that haven't been sawn off properly, some of the flooring has been damaged, some of the woodwork damaged etc.

Actually I don't resent the money I spent, it needed to be done at the time and so we did it.
    What I disliked was the stupid idea of painting part of a wall instead of the whole wall!!!
    Forum Member
    Having new and more efficient heating benefits everybody due to the savings for the environment and public purse. Should the council just have left everyone with coal fires and outside toilets because they were worried about damaging the paintwork?

I don't think anyone in their right mind would class a free new central heating system and bathoom set as treating a home like crap.

You are very bitter about spending the money redecorating, that much is clear. But as you say this was "years ago" so there's no way the council would be able to match the paint anyway.

All its going to take to fix is a few tins of paint and a better attitude.

You've obviously never had any work done by a council, then you'd know just how terrible they can leave a property afterwards.

I have no qualms with what they need to do, I just don't expect them to leave it in such a worse state that it was before!!

It shouldn't matter whether its the council who did the work, or a private contractor on a private property. You'd be annoyed too if they left with ridiculous looking patches on the wall when all it took was for them to simply paint the whole wall instead of part of it (especially when the patch is right in the middle of the wall).

The original post was simply to ask what we should expect when the council said they would make good any damage, As it is the majority of posters say I have to redecorate ourselves which we will do. But I certainly don't expect to be "thankful" for it!!
    Forum Member
    You've obviously never had any work done by a council, then you'd know just how terrible they can leave a property afterwards.
    !

No i have never been lucky enough to get any free work done by the council However my grandparents lived in a council house and had lots of work done by them. New fence, bathroom converted for disability, electrical re-wiring, etc. All of which was done to a pretty high standard as far as i can tell.
    Forum Member
    No i have never been lucky enough to get any free work done by the council However my grandparents lived in a council house and had lots of work done by them. New fence, bathroom converted for disability, electrical re-wiring, etc. All of which was done to a pretty high standard as far as i can tell.

They've been lucky then. But I suppose if they had left your grandparents house in a worse state than when they started then they should still be thankful and happy about it.
    Forum Member
    They've been lucky then. But I suppose if they had left your grandparents house in a worse state than when they started then they should still be thankful and happy about it.

Had that happened my grandparents would have just accepted it and re-decorated. They weren't the sort of people to make a fuss over nothing.
    Forum Member
    Had that happened my grandparents would have just accepted it and re-decorated. They weren't the sort of people to make a fuss over nothing.

Of course they would.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

I agree my council is very good, and the work has always been to a high standard, and we had alot of work done 3 years ago. and when i say alot i mean alot the house was ripped to bits.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents had the downstairs loo converted into a wet room by the council. Was done to a very high standard. They did the basics, it was down to my parents to do anything extra they wanted.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the problem. You can get a 10L tin of magnolia paint in Wickes for £30.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had to have a wall in the kitchen partially rebuilt, they wouldn't give us any help to make good the decoration in the kitchen because they said the work was essential, they did damage the wallpaper in the hallway in the process and they did offer help with that, but as we pay rent rather than get Housing benefit they gave us a rent credit for about £20.

Edit.

Think about it, if you paid a company to replace all the radiators and heating system would you expect them to repaint walls after?

I had a bathroom renovation done last year, while it looks more modern the quality of the work wasnt great, had i paid for a tiler and they did the job the contracter did i would have been having words. But as I didn't I just made it good myself.