Options

(Metro) "Capaldi hints he will soon be leaving Doctor who"

Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
ummm ok>:(

http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/19/peter-capaldi-hints-he-will-soon-be-leaving-doctor-who-5349999/

Speaking to The Daily Mirror newspaper, he said: ‘I sort of enjoy this position I am in with a kind of deep Scottish melancholy because I know it has to end one day. I will cross that bridge when we come to it, which may be sooner rather than later.’

Seemingly confirming that his role is not for the long term, he has still beaten the record of Christopher Eccleston, who starred in just one series. His comments come amid the ongoing speculation that this could also be the last series for his current assistant Clara Oswald, played by Jenna Coleman.

I think where this is coming from is Moffat was more secretive with him for series9... Did not tell him what was happening in episode 12. Maybe he thinks a regen is coming in the xmas special.

Comments

• Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically he acknowledges that it may be out of his control and predictably it makes a good story.

Remember - Peter Capaldi is a one series Doctor because he commented on the filming schedule once so quit last year due to exhaustion.
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he had already gone, one series wonder as the schedule was to much, that's what they said last year must be true, actually what am I talking about he wasn't even in series 8 no one was, the show was cancelled ages ago, as people said that was going to happen.

I think Capaldi will be around for the next series but that's just my guess, who knows.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if he will end up doing 3 series plus some specials like David Tennant and Matt Smith did?
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    All these stories about who is leaving and when really annoy me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    All these stories about who is leaving and when really annoy me.

I'm sure one of them was asked in an interview what it was like being in a job where everyone is always asking you when you're leaving.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if he continues with the 3 series trend of the last two (and I wouldn't be surprised because DW is an exhausting show to work on, leaving you little time outside it and the man has a family) then, yeah, he's leaving sooner rather than later.

Tbh as fun as I'm sure Capaldi finds it, Moffat isn't really a 'character' writer and much of what he's given Capaldi to do so far isn't exactly a stretch. It's not really an actors role at the moment and perhaps Capaldi will end up looking for more challenge elsewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    I'm sure one of them was asked in an interview what it was like being in a job where everyone is always asking you when you're leaving.

Or when there will be a female doctor. He is asked that constantly, lol
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never expected Capaldi to stay long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and they have their result.
    Seemingly confirming....

No. Nothing was "seemingly confirmed" in that quote.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Capaldi doesn't do at least 3 series I will eat my Homburg/Stovepipe/Fedora/Straw Hat/Fez...

And Peter C has said lots of complimentary things about the writing! So he might disagree there, Claire. He probably does very much see it as an "actors role". His.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    I never expected Capaldi to stay long.

you assume he will be fired sooner than later? lol
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member

Yeah.
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoswho1 wrote: »
    you assume he will be fired sooner than later? lol

Nah, I didn't expect him to want to stay long in the role.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember - Peter Capaldi is a one series Doctor because he commented on the filming schedule once so quit last year due to exhaustion.

He's not a one series Doctor. He's been in Series 8 and is due to be in Series 9 in a matter of weeks. Also, as it stands at the moment, he's going to be in Series 10. There hasn't been any word that he isn't appearing.

As PC said in an interview about three months ago, he's doesn't want to leave yet, but that it isn't down to him when he goes. He said that when the production team and most importantly Steven Moffatt feels it's time for him to go, they will let him know.

It's not like when David Tennant announced his upcoming departure in late 2008 at the NTA's. He was the one who decided that it was time to go. But this time round, as I said above, it will be down to the show's production crew, more so SM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    He's not a one series Doctor. He's been in Series 8 and is due to be in Series 9 in a matter of weeks. Also, as it stands at the moment, he's going to be in Series 10. There hasn't been any word that he isn't appearing..

Rubbish. He regenerated at Christmas. I remember it quite well!

I'm looking forward to Miranda Hart's 13th Doctor. Unlucky for some, mind.
  • Options
    KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubbish. He regenerated at Christmas. I remember it quite well!

I'm looking forward to Miranda Hart's 13th Doctor. Unlucky for some, mind.

Series 9 will be Doctor lite with a few cardboard cut outs of Capaldi in background shots, stock footage and Barry Chuckle used as a body double, hence the sunglasses. Miranda is lined up but won't be available until 2017 because of a guest appearance on Would I Lie To You? in April next year.
    What you thought was a regeneration was a dream and hasn't happened yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldi being sad that he will have to stop doing it one day doesn't exactly add up with him wanting to leave soon, does it?
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Capaldi being sad that he will have to stop doing it one day doesn't exactly add up with him wanting to leave soon, does it?

Bloomin' heck CD93. What's wrong with you man (or woman)? Capaldi contemplating future sadness is about as close as it gets to an admission the whole thing is getting cancelled either:
    a) Tomorrow
    b) Next tuesday
    c) A tuesday yet to be determined.

But you go ahead and keep your rose tinted glasses on! :(:(
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to really say anything because it's in text. The tone in which he said it is kind of important and all we can do is guess at what he actually meant.

I take what he said as more of a "It could be sooner rather than later, who knows?" type of thing. The comment seems to be something said with uncertainty, maybe he's quite pessimistic. I really don't think he was trying to drop any hints, but like I said: it's in text, so... :p
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member

As PC said in an interview about three months ago, he's doesn't want to leave yet, but that it isn't down to him when he goes. He said that when the production team and most importantly Steven Moffatt feels it's time for him to go, they will let him know.

It's not like when David Tennant announced his upcoming departure in late 2008 at the NTA's. He was the one who decided that it was time to go. But this time round, as I said above, it will be down to the show's production crew, more so SM.

I really don't believe that. Capaldi saying it isn't down to him just means it isn't down to him solely. It will be a mutual decision between him and the showrunner as it was for the others. There is no way they would give such respect to actors like Tennant and Smith who had both had barely had a career before who, but tell a well respected, long careered actor like Capaldi that he has no say and they will just sack him one day when they feel like it.

In fact with an actor like Capaldi Im pretty they'd want to keep him until he said he wanted to go and even at that time they would likely be trying to talk him into 'just one more series'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not a one series Doctor. He's been in Series 8 and is due to be in Series 9 in a matter of weeks. Also, as it stands at the moment, he's going to be in Series 10. There hasn't been any word that he isn't appearing.

But WHY did CE, DT and MS have a CHOICE. But Capaldi dosen't.? makes zero sense, ...plus both DT and MS were offered a 4th series!

Heck, Even Coleman they let stay another series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    Nah, I didn't expect him to want to stay long in the role.

He wants to stay long in the role. He's talking about being let go.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I really don't believe that. Capaldi saying it isn't down to him just means it isn't down to him solely. It will be a mutual decision between him and the showrunner as it was for the others. There is no way they would give such respect to actors like Tennant and Smith who had both had barely had a career before who, but tell a well respected, long careered actor like Capaldi that he has no say and they will just sack him one day when they feel like it.

In fact with an actor like Capaldi Im pretty they'd want to keep him until he said he wanted to go and even at that time they would likely be trying to talk him into 'just one more series'
    Regardless of your opinion of Tennant's standing in showbiz before he got the job, by 2008 the show and his version of the Doctor was supersonic. The BBC was giving him lots of respect. Lots and lots. And if, for any reason, the BBC decide Capaldi isn't what they want they'll sack him without a moment's thought, regardless of his prior career (and Capaldi's career wasn't stellar prior to Who except for Tucker. Capaldi nearly gave the career up because it was going so badly for him). I personally don't think they will sack him- he's been great in the role, but that's neither here nor there.

Nonsense about actors having sway becuase of their pre-Doctor Who reputation is, well, nonsense. They just mostly don't want to work on the show for more than 3 or 4 years. That's all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Capaldi nearly gave the career up because it was going so badly for him).
    ll.

WTH are you talking about?. PC already had a TV job and was doing movies when he was cast as the doctor. He was also was going to direct a film.

The giving up career thing happened years ago before ITTOI

No idea why DT is somehow better quality than Capaldi or worth more. DT's first films In Hollywood were bombs(Fright Night anyone) .

PC kept Smith ratings and raised BBC america to its highest.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Whoever would have expected 'sensational' remarks to pop up in the papers just as the publicity machine starts winding up to an imminent new series...

Next it'll be paparazzi shots on page 11 of The Sun showing Capaldi and Coleman leaving a club together at 1am and getting into the same taxi! "Coleman - 28 years his junior - was seen holding on to the Timelord's arm as they jumped into the waiting taxi and drove off toward Capaldi's plush Cardiff pad" etc.

PS. I saw a clip of The Dambusters last night and one of them looks the spitting image of Moffat! Given that the film was in black & white, how about revealing that the balls were actually golden-bronze in colour and were in fact void ships?