Gaga on dance/pop trend + new Grammy rules.

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    I definitely have a feeling pop will be involving more rock elements in the next few years.

Gaga is progressively moving in that direction and I think her next album will have a lot more obvious rock infusion, Christina is said to be after a "rockier" sound too, and even Ke$ha is apparently going to be playing with rock. Wouldn't even be surprised if Coldplay's Paradise blew up in the US to aid the process. Katy Perry and Rihanna can adapt to the trend too.

It likely wont happen as immediately as dance/pop took over in 2009 though. It'll probably involve the prominent acts initially exploring it to open the door, allowing a new artist being tipped for success because of it, then the popstars returning to solidify the trend going mainstream.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely have a feeling pop will be involving more rock elements in the next few years.

Gaga is progressively moving in that direction and I think her next album will have a lot more obvious rock infusion, Christina is said to be after a "rockier" sound too, and even Ke$ha is apparently going to be playing with rock. Wouldn't even be surprised if Coldplay's Paradise blew up in the US to aid the process. Katy Perry and Rihanna can adapt to the trend too.

It likely wont happen as immediately as dance/pop took over in 2009 though. It'll probably involve the prominent acts initially exploring it to open the door, allowing a new artist being tipped for success because of it, then the popstars returning to solidify the trend going mainstream.

I think you will most probably be right.

Dance music has traditionally had its mainstream peak's and then goes back underground where it tends to very creative.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

katy perry had a little bit of rock in her debut that's why songs like i kissed a girl and hot n cold were pop and rock sounds
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope so, I enjoy many different artists, but rock is probably my favourite genre. Especially when it comes to live shows, it's more interesting and exciting for me to see people actually playing instruments live rather than just singing to pre-recorded beats. I think a resurgence of rock would work very well with the increased importance of touring and live shows in the music business.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member

Dance-pop didn't "take over" immediately in 2009. You say that just because that's the year that I Gotta Feeling and Sexy Chick were released, but that's really not the case. You can trace it increasing in popularity as far back as 2004. And it was a gradual trend. Probably the first electropop song to get to #1 since it died off in the early 00's was SOS by Rihanna in 2006. And from there you had Nelly Furtado, etc. do the genre quite early on.

It'll be the same with any musical trend. You see them gradually fading in and fading out. So, yes, I agree rock and RnB will get more popular again in the future, but it'll be a gradual trend, that's already in the process of happening, due to songs such as Rolling it the Deep, Paradise, 5 O'Clock, etc.