Options

Psycho 2

zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am probably on my own here but does anyone else think Psycho 2 is better than Psycho. I love Psycho but I think the sequel just beats it, I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it but I think there are some great scenes in this film.

Anthony Perkins is still good in the role ( unlike Psychos 3 and 4 where he seems to go over the top) and it's good to see Vera Miles reprising her role as the vengeful sister of Janet Leigh from the first film. Also the film has a great ending:eek:.

Comments

• Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well writer Robert Bloch certainly hated it!
    It drove hime to write his own version of
    Psycho 2 as a book,which has absolutely
    no resemblance to the film in any way!
    As a horror fan,it was okay but couldn't
    have the impact of the first,as you knew
    from the off that Norman was a weirdo!
  • Options
    BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First off - Psycho II is not better than Psycho.

However.......Psycho II is a really good film and a vastly underrated sequel. As we know only too well sequels often give you more or less the same story as the original but with "bigger and better" mentality.
    Psycho II is one of the rare examples where the mythology and back-story is developed and explored. It is a genuine continuation of the story rather than a re-hash.

An outstanding performance by Perkins that deserved so much more recognition, i'm not sure there are many other actors who have been able to portray a psychopath in such a sympathetic light. Norman actually becomes a "baddie" we root for as we see his chance of a new life falling in around him. The end result is inevitable and terribly sad.

One of Psycho II's strongest points is the score by Jerry Goldsmith, it would've been very easy to copy Bernard Hermanns original Psycho score but Jerry obviously recognised the underlying sadness of the story and makes use of touching, emotional themes. It hard to believe that the Psycho II score has still not had a full unedited release but score fans, like me, are hopeful that the film music label Intrada wil put this right one day.

I'm very fond of Psycho III which also attempts to steer clear of copying it predecessors by taking on a bit of a dark humour angle. Perkins stepped behind the camera this time to direct and his knowledge of Hitchcock and the Psycho imagery is very noticable. His reconstruction of he shower scene in a phone booth is a perfect tribute whilst having its own style.
    Psycho III does a great job of taking what we learned in Psycho II and twisting it even more, allowing us a greater insight into the history of the Bates family. Great to see Hugh Gillin reprising his role as the Sherrif.

Psycho IV whilst very obviously is a tv movie still has much to offer to the story of Norman but plays more as a novelty piece. Good performances from Henry Thomas and Olivia Hussey. Very nice to see the Bates Mansion House in all it's glory - and very sad to see it burned down too.

Collectively the Psycho series is probably one of the most consistent but sadly suffers due some peoples reluctance to "accept" it as a series and view it as a Hitchcock classic with some poorer sequels which is most definitely is not.
    Anyone who doubts the sequels should find the time to watch them all with an open mind and witness how the sad story of Norman Bates develops over the 4 films.

I hope Psycho II & III get a blu-ray release very soon.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psycho 2 was terrific Richard Franklin did a first rate job as far as I remember the film. Its been many years since I've seen it. Perkins probably gave his best performance.

Check out Road Games also by Franklin, it was dubbed "Rear Window in the outback".
  • Options
    zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Psycho 2 was terrific Richard Franklin did a first rate job as far as I remember the film. Its been many years since I've seen it. Perkins probably gave his best performance.

Check out Road Games also by Franklin, it was dubbed "Rear Window in the outback".

Thanks haven't seen that, have to give it a look.
  • Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psycho 2 is a great film and very underrated....4 is my favourite from the series after the original
  • Options
    maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love 'Psycho' but also think it isn't the masterpiece it is now famously made out to be. However I would say it was for it's time. I thought some of it was quite predictable after Marion's murder in the shower but I still enjoyed it.

I've not seen 'Psycho II', but want to! I was surprised (and pleased) to see that Vera Miles returned!
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I vividly recall queuing for this upon release outside the old ABC. A line for Psycho 2 and a line for Stayin' Alive on the other screen, both shuffling in together.

I think we got the bragging rights that night. Yes, a very good film in need of more praise.
  • Options
    jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    I remember it having a very good ending. Better than Psycho though? They are two very different movie from two very different eras. It is difficult to compare.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psycho IV: The Beginning should have just been called Psycho: The Beginning as it ignores the continuity from II and III and the whole Mrs Spool backstory. As far as I'm concerned, the Psycho series consists of a movie trilogy, a couple of TV movies with separate continuities and a pointless shot-for-shot movie remake.

Speaking of the TV movies, the 1987 Bates Motel is frankly bizarre as it seems to have been made by people who never even bothered to watch the original Psycho. I must say, I am looking forward to the completely new Bates Motel TV series which reboots the Psycho story, though.
  • Options
    gtfc1984gtfc1984 Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I've become hooked on the whole franchise recently after re-watching Psycho and then getting into Bates Motel, I throughly enjoyed all 3 seasons fantastic prequel storyline.

I've just purchased of eBay The Psycho Collection I-IV DVD Box Set, not watched the sequels yet but looking forward to these, also have Psycho on Blu Ray and the first season of Bates Motel on Blu Ray, going to get season 2 blu ray soon.

Shame the sequels are not available in the UK on Blu Ray, no release date announced yet.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    Well writer Robert Bloch certainly hated it!
    It drove hime to write his own version of
    Psycho 2 as a book,which has absolutely
    no resemblance to the film in any way!
    As a horror fan,it was okay but couldn't
    have the impact of the first,as you knew
    from the off that Norman was a weirdo!
    Actually, the novel came out a year before the film. Universal rejected Bloch's idea for the sequel and asked him not to publish the book.
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am probably on my own here but does anyone else think Psycho 2 is better than Psycho. I love Psycho but I think the sequel just beats it, I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it but I think there are some great scenes in this film.

Anthony Perkins is still good in the role ( unlike Psychos 3 and 4 where he seems to go over the top) and it's good to see Vera Miles reprising her role as the vengeful sister of Janet Leigh from the first film. Also the film has a great ending:eek:.
    No way is Psycho 2 better than the original. Each to their own but I'd have to say you probably are very much in the minority with that view.

I like Psycho 2 but the one thing I've never liked about it is the way Anthony Perkins talks. He talks a bit childlike when in the original he didn't. I think part of the reason for that is because there was a 23 year gap between the original and the second one and he'd probably forgotten how to portray the character exactly as he did in the original. I hope someone knows what I mean. Even Vera Miles wasn't quite as convincing as in the original. Everything about the original is better. I know when Hitchcock directed Psycho he described it as a very black comedy which I've never quite understood. If one of your brothers or sisters went to stay at a motel, you couldn't get in contact with them and then you found out they'd been stabbed to death by the owner and dumped in a swamp I don't think many people would find that funny.
    Even though he described it as a black comedy the original just feels a much darker and way more suspenseful film.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'You're sure you won't have a sandwich?'.:D
    I laughed so much at that scene.It's one of the best ever.:cool:
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Considering the sequel took 22 years to film, it really is not bad, but of course they had to wait around for Hitch to be not around.

Sort of a stroke of good fortune, since you could believe, authorities would release Bates after all these years, thinking 'Mother' had been put to rest!
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's better but against all odds it's a great film.

Whatever happened to Meg Tilly?

Psycho III, imo had the best line of the franchise.

Maureen: I'm sorry, I left the bathroom in a mess.
    Norman: I've seen worse.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say it's better than the original, it is a good film that doesn't deserve the reputation it has because of the stereotypes of horror sequels.
  • Options
    gtfc1984gtfc1984 Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Just finished the Psycho Collection DVD overall 8/10, enjoyed these.

Psycho (1960) 9/10 - Classic also own the Blu Ray
    Psycho II (1983) 8/10
    Psycho III (1986) 8/10
    Psycho IV (1990) 6/10
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the line 'Want to know what Norman was like? Better than you'll ever be, fat boy!'
  • Options
    brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's better but against all odds it's a great film.

Whatever happened to Meg Tilly?
    She got with Colin Firth, moved to a log cabin in Canada and had a kid. They split up... he became Mr Darcy and she retired from acting and started writing books.

While she was retired she did a couple of guest tv bits as favours to actor mates but she returned to full time acting a couple of years back as a lead in the Canadian Show "Bomb Girls"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brumilad wrote: »
    She got with Colin Firth, moved to a log cabin in Canada and had a kid. They split up... he became Mr Darcy and she retired from acting and started writing books.

While she was retired she did a couple of guest tv bits as favours to actor mates but she returned to full time acting a couple of years back as a lead in the Canadian Show "Bomb Girls"

Thanks. I never knew that.

Good for her.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    First off - Psycho II is not better than Psycho.

That's just your opinion, not fact set in stone. The OP certainly prefers it to the original.

I'm a fan of all the psycho movies bar the pointless remake of the original, the original was a groundbreaking movie in many ways and heralded in a new genre of horror movies but it's certainly not a classic imo.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like all the Psycho films. I have the collection with all 4 movies, and watch them everyday.
  • Options
    Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Never seen it, never want to either. I always thought Psycho was overrated anyway.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it was in colour, which helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Well it was in colour, which helps.

Psycho in colour would be like The Statue of David in jeans.