Options

Cyprus Savings Levy - could it happen here?

~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
Forum Member
I'm horrified by this news report, 10% of people's savings being taxed and taken without warning, how could the EU sanction such a disgraceful act of theft? Am I correct in believing that this is theft? Monies taken without consent?

I'm hoping to goodness that Cyprus isn't setting a precedent, could something like this happen in the UK? Will news, such as this, mean that bank customers in the UK and elsewhere, will make a beeline to their nearest ATM immediately to withdraw their cash to stop such a disgraceful thing happening here?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/16/cyprus-savings-levy-imposed-eurozone

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is making me consider whether to just spend that few hundred quid I have saved up.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does already! 20% of the interest I earn on my savings (which I have already paid tax on when I earned is) is taken by the government as tax.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is making me consider whether to just spend that few hundred quid I have saved up.

It's certainly got me thinking! My life savings may now be withdrawn from the bank and laid neatly under my mattress, it's got to be safer there than anywhere and it most certainly won't suffer much from loss of interest. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    It does already! 20% of the interest I earn on my savings (which I have already paid tax on when I earned is) is taken by the government as tax.

I may have got the whole thing wrong, but the money that Cyprus is stealing from bank accounts isn't from interest, it's taking 10% tax on the total that's in the savings account.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am rather surprised there is not rioting right now on the Island of Cyprus.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am rather surprised there is not rioting right now on the Island of Cyprus.

I don't think you'll have to wait long somehow...
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that if the UK government were to suggest such a gross act of theft, it would cause rioting; and I for one would be throwing bricks through windows of government property quite happily!

You can't chastise people for failing to save for their old age and then announce that anybody who has been smart enough to put a few quid aside is going to have to hand it over to the state. I don't think it could happen here, for that reason. It's penalising financially responsible people and will only leave a HUGE burden for future generations when nobody has any cash saved for old age. Let's face it, you'd spend it rather than hand it over, wouldn't you? I have a lot of savings because my grandfather left me a sixth of his estate, and I've resisted the urge to splurge it or buy a bigger car. But if I thought the government would take a few thouand off me, I'd put it all against the mortgage and leave nothing for contingencies.

I feel angry for the people of Cyprus.
  • Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not the same thing at all.

As for what happened in Cyprus its an outrageous theft.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I may have got the whole thing wrong, but the money that Cyprus is stealing from bank accounts isn't from interest, it's taking 10% tax on the total that's in the savings account.

Yep, a one off 10% for those with over 100k euros and 6.75% below 100k. But I am still having interest 'stolen' each year by the government in the form of tax, something that doesn't happen on those Cyprus savings accounts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    That's not the same thing at all.

Why? I'm still having my money 'stolen' by the government and it happens every year.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    If i was from cyprus and it happened to me id be gutted, but then they are holding their hand out for a multi billion euro freebie.

If they dont get the money from the EU, the country will be gone, no police, army, no hospitals.

I reckon turkey would just wander over the border and take over the whole island.

If they cant get themselves out of the situation, then they will need to allow others to do it for them, but they cant expect to sit on their own pile of cash in the bank while asking other countries for money to keep them afloat.

I think the vocal people here will be foreigners who decided that cyprus is a nice place to live/retire, they will be trying to get their money out and run back home.

I feel no sympathy with ex-pats, they took their chances, they lost.

I hope this doesnt end in riots, almost the whole of the cyprus economy is based on tourism, if that ends, so will the country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why? I'm still having my money 'stolen' by the government and it happens every year.

No, your money isn't being stolen, you're being taxed on your interest, your initial savings are still at the same level as when you banked them, taxing interest is totally different to taking 10% of the amount that you initially banked, you still have your stake. Those in Cyprus do not, 10% of what they've banked has now been stolen, taken, not interest related at all, their money has been taken without their consent. At least when interest is taxed, it doesn't affect the amount that you deposited, it's taxed on the gift that's known as interest.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Buy Physical gold
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count yourself lucky. The government takes 40% of mine.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a massively short-sighted decision. Just to raise €6 billion, they are risking a run on the banks in other countries across Europe. People in Spain, Portugal and Italy must be wondering, who's next ? And so easy, just declare it's going to happen on Tuesday, stop people removing their money, then calmly steal it. How can people be sure it's just a one-off grab anyway ? Get away with it once and they'll be back for more.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was planning, this year, to start saving in an ISA, but I'm starting to reconsider.
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know. I get the feeling that we're a vastly different economy to Cyprus.

It does make me wonder: is it worth putting savings in a bank these days?
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    If understood correctly then it is the EU that is backing or responsible for instigating the theft on Cypriot banking accounts.

Hardly encouraging propoganda for those still in favour of continued mmembership of the EU !
  • Options
    PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theft pure and simple.

Spain will be next then.........................

It's a Bank Holiday in Cyprus. Banks will open (or not) on Tuesday. The Cypriots don't take things lying down. They will be festering all weekend and then things will kick off big time on Tuesday.
  • Options
    PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=cessna;64830512]If understood correctly then it is the EU that is backing or responsible for instigating the theft on Cypriot banking accounts.

Hardly encouraging propoganda for those still in favour of continued mmembership of the EU ![/QUOTE]

The EU guilty of criminal behaviour! How very dare you!;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imagine it, youve just secured a massive loan to buy a car or a house and the money is sat in your account waiting to be used ,,, then bang the gov takes 10 percent of that ... now that is vile.

They are also saying if its voted through they will also have to put a limit on how much an individual can withdraw ... so not only are they nicking the money they will be stopping those that own it spending it, that could cause all sorts of problems , like paying rent or bills or buying that house the money in the account was there for anyway.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just don't vote labour, or it probably will
  • Options
    GnugnuGnugnu Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I'm horrified by this news report, 10% of people's savings being taxed and taken without warning, how could the EU sanction such a disgraceful act of theft? Am I correct in believing that this is theft? Monies taken without consent?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/16/cyprus-savings-levy-imposed-eurozone

It already happens here but in a different way. The artificially low interest rates, set by the bank of England, keep your savings deteriorating.

If the price of stuff goes up 5% a year (does anyone really believe inflation is at 2%?), and the bank are giving you 2% interest on your savings then your money is worth less in the bank, and you loose value.

Instead of taking it off savers, they do it by stealth, but it's effectively the same thing.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    one thing to remember is that we (thanks to one G Brown) we can print our own money

remember T Blair the lib dems and some conservatives wanted us in the Euro and still do!

Governments usually provide deposit insurance to prevent bank runs.

If the banking system is too big, and the banks’ losses are too big, relative to the government’s capacity to pay that insurance claim, that’s a problem.

But the problem is very different if the government (unlike Cyprus) can print currency to pay bank deposits that are liabilities in that same currency. If worse comes to worst, the government just prints as much currency as is needed to pay the depositors what they are owed. If that means is has to print “too much” currency, that’s a problem, because it means inflation will be “too high”. But that inflation will adversely affect the real value of currency and bank deposits equally. So even if people expect it might happen again, this doesn’t cause a bank run, where people try to get out of bank deposits into currency.

It’s a very different sort of problem in a country like Cyprus where the government cannot print money. If people see a “one-time tax” on bank deposits happen once, they might expect it to happen again. And if they expect it to happen again they will try to get out of bank deposits into currency. Which is a bank run.

The difference is that inflation from printing too much money is a tax on currency too. Cyprus cannot tax currency; it can only tax bank deposits.

If the banking sector is too big, and if bank losses are too big, relative to the country’s ability to pay, deposit insurance as a way to prevent bank runs is not credible and won’t work in a country that cannot print.
  • Options
    GnugnuGnugnu Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    Just don't vote labour, or it probably will

Nonsense. The money supply global is F******* Up. Neither the Tories, nor labour can do anything about the oversupply of money and excess debt until the banks (globally) are banned from electronically printing cash.

Labour, Tory, My dog. None of them can do anything about it.