Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bev is terrible
  • Options
    SonicmfcSonicmfc Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is scrutiny really appropriate for such scenes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sonicmfc wrote: »

Yes because I have felt nothing while watching. I should be moved and emotional but I'm not.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sonicmfc wrote: »

Really?! No occasion should be free from scrutiny IMO. It could have been absolutely amazing. Instead it fell so flat you could hear the air escaping. Awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It comes to something when Kate Ford acts the arse of everyone she's in a scene with!
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think it was too bad to be honest...
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    My mum loved Deirdre and she's really annoyed by today's ep of Corrie.
  • Options
    Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    Really?! No occasion should be free from scrutiny IMO. It could have been absolutely amazing. Instead it fell so flat you could hear the air escaping. Awful.

It was awful. William Roach in particular is dreadful. The death of such an iconic character should have been heartbeaking and yet it was totally unmoving for me. Not helped by shoehorning in Michelle in the Rovers scenes.

You'd think as they loved Anne so much the emotion would have been raw and felt so real.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually felt Ken and Traceys pain.

Not everyone acts like you imagine they would.

It made me cry because I felt they were talking about Anne Kirkbrides death.

I thought it was terrific.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie has so much deadwood.
  • Options
    Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes because I have felt nothing while watching. I should be moved and emotional but I'm not.

I'd argue that was the script. I'd have preferred a full episode with just Bev telling Tracy, Ken, Liz (and Audrey I guess) the news. Cutting between the Barlows', the pub scenes and Sarah/Kylie made it much harder to be moved by it.

I think the party in the pub should have been told the news on Friday, getting to see their reactions then instead of so soon.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    This death episode has really showed up that they can't do serious drama

Roacke has been Ken Barlow for 55 years. He knows how to do Ken Barlow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stuart25 wrote: »
    I'd argue that was the script. I'd have preferred a full episode with just Bev telling Tracy, Ken, Liz (and Audrey I guess) the news. Cutting between the Barlows', the pub scenes and Sarah/Kylie made it much harder to be moved by it.

I think the party in the pub should have been told the news on Friday, getting to see their reactions then instead of so soon.

Oh I completely agree about the script.
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was awful. William Roach in particular is dreadful. The death of such an iconic character should have been heartbeaking and yet it was totally unmoving for me. Not helped by shoehorning in Michelle in the Rovers scenes.

You'd think as they loved Anne so much the emotion would have been raw and felt so real.

I agree I thought the way the reveal was done was poor and because of that and the poor acting particularly from bev it just didn't have the emotional effect it should have had and was disappointing, it really did show up the acting deficiencies of quite a few actors as well.
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree with this really. The script was awful and switching to the next scene so quick failed to create any emotional impact for me. This episode should have stayed within the Barlows' house if they were going to give it justice.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats what happens when you go to five nights a week. no room for rehearsals
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    That was chronic. I've seen less wood in a forest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It mirrors Hayley's death in that her final scenes were marred by Anna and Carla banging down the door and her swagging her cocktail of drugs.

The whole episode should have been dedicated to Diedre and her passing. No one gives a shit about Michael and Eileen or Sarah and Callum on a normal day, never mind today!!!
  • Options
    PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    Absolute shambles. That's all I can say.
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Ken and Tracy's reaction's were both very much in character...

Ken would try and hold everything together... Be stoical and sensible... But would ultimately crack under the strain.

Tracy would be completely bereft... Because under the hard faced bitch she's just just a silly, spoilt child who's never grown up.

Sure, they aren't the best actors in the world, but they were believable in terms of how their characters would react.

Liz was OK as well, which surprised me given how dreadful she's become recently.

Overall it was fine I thought.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The episode should've been all about the Barlows and Deirdre but the acting in the scenes they did have was off. Roache and Ford are known for being wooden but I thought they might pull something out of the bag for this and I expected more from Susie Blake and Bev Callard. The latter has been getting steadily worse at acting for a while now and I don't know why because she used to be quite good, but again this being a special occasion I thought she'd put the effort in.
  • Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mind the pub scenes but could have done without Callum and Sarah and Michael and Eileen. Eileen should have been in the pub since she was one of Dierdries closest friends.

The Barlow scenes were fine. The last scene with Ken and Steve was very moving
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I really don't know why people on here are giving William Roache a hard time - I thought he was pretty good. Him looking at Deirdre's glasses was a bit reminiscent of Hilda Ogden being given Stan's belongings when his death was handled.

I thought Kate Ford was OK too.

Sorry - just watching near the end now - and anyone who says that Eileen Derbyshire's scene there didn't bring a tear to their eye is either lying or dead!