Options

Gatwick Airport advice needed

turn_the_pageturn_the_page Posts: 220
Forum Member
I'm due to travel to Barcelona later this month with the flight leaving at 19:55 from the North terminal at Gatwick (I think its north).

I've been wondering how to get there and would rather travel by train if possible.

There are 2 trains I'm looking at which leave around 3ish, one getting in at 17:54 (one change) and the other getting in at 17:58 (2 changes).

I'm just wondering whether people think getting there 2 hours before is enough. I will have hand luggage only and will have already checked in online, but I understand the train goes to the South terminal and I need to catch a bus to North.

I'd be grateful if anyone who has experience of Gatwick could advise how long it actually takes to get from the train platform to the gate (bypassing hold check-in) and what the security queues may be like.

Obviously I will have some spare time incase of train delays but I can't afford for the train to be delayed AND it taking ages to get to the gate! But I also don't know what the latest time is you can turn up at the gate prior to the aircraft leaving.

Never used Gatwick airport before so not sure what to expect, but my experience of travelling anywhere near London at that time of day means allow extra time!

Cheers in advance for any help.

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My philosophy with airports is always to get there as soon as you can. It's better to be relaxing with a beer/coffee than getting stressed with traffic or public transport delays. Two hours should be enough - I'd take the train with one connection to reduce the risks - but I'd possibly look at an earlier one just to be on the safe side.

The train station at Gatwick is at the South Terminal but there is a free shuttle which runs to the North Terminal every few minutes: http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-services/Changing-terminals/
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If everything went smoothly that time frame should be enough to get you there on time. It doesn't leave much wiggle room though if one there is a delay somewhere also got the line though.

I am the same as Lostfool. Would much rather get there earlier than needed and have time for a relax and a drink or a look round the shops.
  • Options
    dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely get there earlier. Can take ages to get through passport control. If you are unlucky like we were you may have a very long walk to gate. It is about a mile to walk although they do say slightly less than that. Far better to get there comfortably and relax.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    The inter-terminal shuttle train is great fun. I've been known to go back and forth on it a few times when I've had time to spare. :blush:

ps avoid the Gatwick express train to the airport if possible, the standard train (Thameslink) is much cheaper & not much slower.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    The inter-terminal shuttle train is great fun. I've been known to go back and forth on it a few times when I've had time to spare. :blush:

ps avoid the Gatwick express train to the airport if possible, the standard train (Thameslink) is much cheaper & not much slower.

Southern trains also go to Gatwick airport. :)

OP - You don't say where your starting point is (Unless I've missed it somewhere!)
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah don't get tricked into the Gatwick Express unless you really have to! - most southern trains heading towards Brighton will stop at Gatwick (not all but most) - just avoid the slow trains that stop at every station along the way.

Once you arrive at Gatwick, exit the train station and depending which station exit you take (both of which take you into the South Terminal) you either turn immeditely right to the North terminal transit train or enter the terminal, the turn right and go to the NT transit train. It's fairly well sign posted. It's a mini train transit that runs every 5 mins or so between terminals.

I'd allow 2 hours once at Gatwick to get through
  • Options
    turn_the_pageturn_the_page Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Cheers for the replies guys!

The start point is Warwick, think I'll take a half day!
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    You should be ok but I would allow more time as the trains on that line are usually late - you also need more time for Gatwick north given that the train station is at Gatwick south.

Give yourself a little more time - and then you will avoid stress!

PS where are you coming from - you can use Thameslink via Kings cross or Southern from Victoria.
  • Options
    DEmmersonDEmmerson Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The shuttle from south to North terminal leaves every 5 minutes and lasts 3 minutes. You'll be at security 20 minutes after your train arrives as you don't have to check in.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may find this Streetview image, and others nearby, handy when getting from the train to the shuttle:

https://goo.gl/maps/XxGii
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Gatwick airport. I think it's laid out really well. I live in London and my nearest airports are Heathrow, Stanstead and Luton. However, I have lots of friends in Brighton and for holiday's with them it's sometimes easier (and cheaper flights) for me to go from Gatwick so we meet there as it's sort of in the middle.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I think you are cutting it fine with 2 hours. I would ask yourself what the minimum time you need is, then at least add half of that on again. In this case I'd be doing at least 3 hours if not 4 due to London transport.

The train station is located in the South terminal. When you leave the station you need to go an almost immediate right and head to signs for the North Terminal. This will take you to the transit train between the two terminals. The journey takes about a minute or two. Then when you get off the transit train the North Terminal is just a few steps ahead of you with all the check in desks. So once you've arrived it's less than 5 minutes to transit to the North terminal.

How long it takes you to get through security very much depends on time of day but I normally find Gatwick is very quick. For example, we normally stay at an airport hotel the night before and we can leave our hotel room and be through to departures in less than 20 minutes. It seems you will be going through just after the 5pm 'rush hour' so it should be quieter. I'd say from arriving at the station, you can be through to the departure lounge in about 15 - 20 minutes as you only have hand luggage. Time to gate very much depends on where it is. If i recall the furthest away gates are about a 15 minute walk (they say 20 minutes but that's only at snails pace).