If someone....

Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
Forum Member
has female reproductive organs but also male ones that both work correctly do they just get to pick if they want to be a woman or a man, and is it possible for them to get themselves pregnant?

Comments

• TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    Think its called (homaphrodite) Spelling probably wrong...When a child is born with both genetalia. No they have a test which tells the parents the sex of the child! Its far more commen than ppl realise!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting thought. lol. Can you imagine the probs for the csa. I think its determined by hormone levels etc. There's usually a more dominant gene. I knew of someone years ago with that prob & they chose to be a male, though i think it was the wrong choice. I don't think either organ was fully functioning.
  • chaoticspiritchaoticspirit Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    has female reproductive organs but also male ones that both work correctly do they just get to pick if they want to be a woman or a man, and is it possible for them to get themselves pregnant?

There area whole range of medical conditions known as INTERSEX, where nature got it a bit wrong and people end up not quite one sex or the other. They may have PARTS of both male and female reproductive organs but a full working set of both is the stuff of myths and fairy tales.
    They are NOT hermaphrodites, that applies to worms and other invertebrates who DO have a working set of both.
    Calling an intersex person a hermaphrodite is as insulting and unacceptable as calling a dwarf a midget!

Tallulahmay - there isn't a test that will tell you the sex of a child. The only thing a test will tell you is whether the chromosome combination is XX or XY. That doesn't help if you have an XY chromosome pattern with what appears to be a set of female organs. This is the whole problem with intersex conditions.

Go put 'intersex conditions' into google - it might manage to explode some of the frankly insulting myths people believe as truth!
  • Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
    Forum Member
    awww.... I thought it would be so cool if someone got themselves pregnant :(
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like it also applys to animals as well

Hermaphrodite pony finds friendship with donkey
  • TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    Roland rat have you seen the video on that page with the man? PMSL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    awww.... I thought it would be so cool if someone got themselves pregnant :(

thats incest
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Someone I know has this condition. She was born with undescended testicles and has a shortened vagina but no womb. She was given the option to have her testicles removed, which she did, obviously. I think she has had counselling as she is distraught that she cannot conceive.
    Other members of her family have the same condition, ie several of her cousins.
  • chaoticspiritchaoticspirit Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Someone I know has this condition. She was born with undescended testicles and has a shortened vagina but no womb. She was given the option to have her testicles removed, which she did, obviously. I think she has had counselling as she is distraught that she cannot conceive.
    Other members of her family have the same condition, ie several of her cousins.

Sounds like this might be partial AIS. AIS people have XY chromosomes which means that they 'should' have been male. Insensitivity to testosterone in the womb means that the baby develops either as totally female, but sterile. Or in some cases has a mixture of both male and female organs.
    AIS passes down through the female line so it's not unusual for there to be several in the same family.